Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Years ago I had a job working graveyard shift at a gas station. Policy was generally to allow people to pump their gas, then come in to pay. For the most part it was not a problem, but still on a fairly regular basis people would rabbit without paying. I've always been somewhat tightly wound, like many a libertarian/conservative type, so I would take it personally even thought the money wasn't coming out of my pocket.

I lived for the day when I would catch one of these bastards (invariably they were male). I did, exactly once. It was a car that I recognized as being a previous drive-off, a gold sedan. Sure enough, he filled his tank and rabbited. I dashed out in time to get his plate (no cameras back then) and called 911. They caught him and brought him back to make him pay.

I was livid. "I want him arrested for theft," I told the cop. Cop said no, we don't do that; if he pays you he goes on his way. So he paid, chortled, and went on his way. Sometime later he got a little comeuppance when he pulled into the station on E and I refused to sell him any gas. He called the cops on me. A cop showed up and explained to him that I had the right to refuse service. Hopefully he ran out of gas before reaching the next station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Never ditched on paying for gas, that seems rather low.

However, I do recall a "rather amusing" thing I did. Decades ago. I was young, and didn't own a car worth a squirt (motorcycle only, that's how I rolled so to speak). My mother was terminal. I flew home and realized after some weeks with her and my dad at @childhood home it was last time I'd see her alive. Arrived back home via San Francisco Airport. They wanted some asinine amount for parking, which I suppose I should have known had I been thinking straight. I was emotionally exhausted, to the nth degree. We're talking like hundreds of dollars or thereabouts. I'd had enough, and drove around the barrier. On a motorcycle, wasn't that hard to do or even dangerous per se. Never heard another word about it. Definitely "wrong", though strikes me as rather grimly amusing in later decades.

I'd...had...enough. Bet some of you know what I mean.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:08 PM

384 posts, read 734,497 times
I went to Arco gas one time, gave the cashier $20 csh. I ended up $10 free gas

Old 06-20-2015, 08:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Ever drive away without paying for the gas?

Nope. I normally use a debit card and pay at the pump, so it's not really possible to do it.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Nope, but I've done the oposite a few times around the time when everything was switching from pump and pay to pay before. Go in, pay 10 or 20 bucks for gas, go back to the truck and drive off only to relize a few miles down the road I forgot to put the gas in!
ROFL, not sure what is worse.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope. I normally use a debit card and pay at the pump, so it's not really possible to do it.
I avoid using my card, it cost the business money. That's why I like the one gas station, one price for cash, another for credit.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
I have had the fortune of never experiencing this. I am very cautious about such things because I have no desire to become involved with the "Justice System."

All these stories are about "brain farts." People are forgetful, and some people are klutzes, and some are just absent minded.

These $50 or $100 dollar "crimes" should be disposed of by paying the station owner what is owed and maybe a fine - to go to the station - if they request it. Maybe $15-$20. Instead they are often made into life altering court cases - for a simple mistake.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
I don't think I've ever even been to a gas station that will give you anything until you pay...
It was common in the 1970s. But that was before gas prices shot up, and it became a problem. Nobody was going to risk going to jail over $5 of gas.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I've done it once, a long time ago. As others have said, most pumps these days are prepay. I was on a short roadtrip down to Austin about 20 years ago with my girlfriend at the time, and we stopped at a small gas station off the highway. So I got out and started pumping gas, and she was going in to buy food and some drinks. I told her what I wanted, and I had assumed that she was going to tell the guy to put whatever amount from pump XX on the card. The pump clicks off, she comes back to the car, and we drive away. It wasn't until later that night after we'd arrived in Austin that I went out to clean out the car and I found the receipt in the bag, it only had the snacks on it, no gas.

I didn't know if I'd get in trouble for it or not, so I said we'd stop on our way back and pay what we owed. After a weekend of drinking and partying though, we completely forgot and just drove straight home, so I never made it up.

This was back in the day when 93 octane was selling for $1/gallon though, so it wasn't THAT big of a deal, probably would have been a light misdemeanor if we'd been caught.
Maybe the station attendant who got stuck with your bill did think it was a big deal.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
I've done it twice years ago.

Once was at a full serve. I asked the attendant to put 20 in. He did so, and then walked away. I gave him a few minutes to come back out, but he didn't. F*ck'em, I thought, and left.

The next time wasn't really leaving without paying though. It was the middle of the night out in the country. I was really low on gas and quite far from the city, or the nearest pump. As I shot by this old service station that was darkened and closed for the night, I noticed the pumps were on. So, I went back, filled'er up, and took off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive