Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

They are all over the Twin Cities, i treat them just like a regular stop light.. if its red i'll stop.

They are very much needed, people just are not very good at merging in high traffic situations for some reason... as well as the people already on the freeway. for some reason some act like their life is on the line and they will die if they let someone in front of them so they feel the need to not let any room for mergers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
I've never seen one of these. It sounds like a terrible idea.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:29 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
A freeway isn't really a freeway if it has regular congestion. They need to add more freeways and more lanes. There are huge parts of Los Angeles that aren't completely paved yet.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
I've never really considered risking a couple hundred dollar ticket so I could sit in a traffic jam for a few extra seconds. So, yes I stop for those lights.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'm surprised by this. Must be a west coast thing?
I saw a lot of them in the Bay Area, and they are adding more all the time. I suspect that eventually every on ramp in the Bay Area will have a meter light. But usually they are only turned on when needed.

You maybe are using the ramp when it's not that busy. You said you go through it at 6:30AM. Maybe at 7:30 the ramp is busy, or maybe it's there for the afternoon traffic.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
For those of us who have never heard of them, could we get a little more description and definition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnK8oGYG3lQ

Old 06-25-2015, 05:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Any decent size city has these ramp meters at most highway on ramps.

They installed one recently on a smaller 4 way highway here in town. The on ramp is honestly not that busy and really doesn't need one.

How many of you have run these red lights. I usually take it around 6:30am and I'm the only car on the on ramp. No one ahead or behind me and the highway I'm merging onto is not heavily congested yet. Really doesn't make sense for me to stop my momentum if I'm the only vehicle on the ramp. And they have this light activated even on weekends where there is even less traffic.
I don't know why people make assumptions like these. Just because your city has them doesn't mean everyone's city or even most cities do. My city of Houston had them and got rid of them, even though we have bad traffic all hours of the day and night. Why? They didn't help the situation at all, and actually confused drivers because the ramp light changed so fast that the driver barely had time to slow down after it turned red before it switched to green again. When freeways are overloaded with cars, spacing the entry of more cars on the freeway by a millisecond doesn't change the fact that too many cars are already there.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Any decent size city has these ramp meters at most highway on ramps.

They installed one recently on a smaller 4 way highway here in town. The on ramp is honestly not that busy and really doesn't need one.

How many of you have run these red lights. I usually take it around 6:30am and I'm the only car on the on ramp. No one ahead or behind me and the highway I'm merging onto is not heavily congested yet. Really doesn't make sense for me to stop my momentum if I'm the only vehicle on the ramp. And they have this light activated even on weekends where there is even less traffic.
I've never seen one of these before in my life and I live in one of the largest cities in the United States.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I've never seen one of these before in my life and I live in one of the largest cities in the United States.
Yes, sorry for the assumption *hangs head in shame*

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM

I'm kind of weirded out by them, though. So you just sit there waiting to get on the highway? That sounds terrible. The traffic delays around here would be horrific if they did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive