Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
And for the mid size the Ford Explorer is still king of the hill ever since they came out more than 20 years ago.
I've driven a top trim Explorer Sport EcoBoost. It's pretty big.
It's a very nice CUV but I preferred the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit... yeah, it's got a HEMI.
GM also sells over a quarter million of Lambda-based CUV's a year.
That's a lot of volume for something that is not inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Get out away from the big cities like here in Montana, it is only American Trucks. For several reasons.

1: In case of breakdown, you can easily get them repaired and back on the road. There are Ford, Chevrolet, and Dodge dealers in small towns. You may have to go 100 or many more miles to find dealers for foreign trucks.

2: Nearly all of them are 4X4 vehicles. Big and rugged, and capable of going in all weather. The majority in private hands are 4 door crew cabs, and are used as a normal car is used. The high clearance, is really useful when the snow flies and the road is not plowed.

Go into a parking lot in Montana, and you will find over half the vehicles will be pickups or medium or large SUVs, unless there are a lot of out of state vehicles driven by tourists which we have many in the tourist season. No electric cars, unless they are out of state driving through. Not one Tesla even registered in the state of Montana. There is one registered in Wyoming, owned by a movie star that owns a ranch here to drive around town in the summer. In the winter when they lose about 60% of their range due to cold effect on batteries, and the battery drain due to mountains, you could not even get between the cities.

My wife and I have a Blazer that is older and looks and runs in like new quality. A F150. A 2012 Ford Explorer limited edition with all the bells and whistles and only 30,000 miles. We can go anywhere at any time. We have not owned a car in over 20 years, and at our age, we have all the cars we will ever need.
You are wrong about MT not having any registered Teslas-http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/analysis/drive-by-numbers-tesla-in-all-50-states.html

I live in Bozeman and there is a new Tesla Charging station at the Hilton Garden Suites. Your other observations about trucks in MT are pretty true. I work at a mine, and over half the vehicles are trucks in the company parking lot. Some jeeps, and other SUVs, a couple of Tundras. More Chevy/GMCs than other brands. Our on site vehicles are all Fords-and I can tell you they are punished on a daily basis. My work truck is an F-150. It is very solid-almost as solid as my 1998 4Runner

Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
^^ Your B3000 is just a re-badged Ford Ranger.

Anyone remember when Mahindra was going to "come into the market offering convenience and functionality at half the price?" Then they got the EPA fuel economy rating on their diesel motor and they said, "eh... never mind."
Actually, the Ford Ranger was just a re-badged Mazda. Ford quit selling Rangers when they sold Mazda.

Mahindra has a very nice compact pickup, but setting up a dealer and repair network in the USA, plus working through all the Federal regulations is a steep hill to climb. Maybe they should go partners with Tesla.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Actually, the Ford Ranger was just a re-badged Mazda.
True, in some markets. In the US, it was the other way around.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
True, in some markets. In the US, it was the other way around.
In 2011 the last ranger rolled of the Ford assembly line in St. Paul Min.

I love it when people have no idea what cars and trucks are built by the big3. Also the Ranger name was on a full size Ford pickup so the ranger name has been around for awhile.

Ford chose 1967 to introduce its next generation of F-Series pickup truck. Body lines became more squared and flat side panels were accented with a narrow indention, which was highlighted by a stainless molding on Ranger models.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:08 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
In 2011 the last ranger rolled of the Ford assembly line in St. Paul Min.

I love it when people have no idea what cars and trucks are built by the big3. Also the Ranger name was on a full size Ford pickup so the ranger name has been around for awhile.

Ford chose 1967 to introduce its next generation of F-Series pickup truck. Body lines became more squared and flat side panels were accented with a narrow indention, which was highlighted by a stainless molding on Ranger models.
Mazda is still making a Ford Ranger, it is just not sold in the US or Japanese market.

The new Ford Ranger that you can't have

Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Mazda is still making a Ford Ranger, it is just not sold in the US or Japanese market.

The new Ford Ranger that you can't have
I know that but Ford designed and built the Ranger mid size truck before Mazda entered the picture. Then the ranger was incorporated to the Explorer same cab as the ranger.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
Toyota only managed to sell 75,000 trucks last year...... Ford sold almost 366,000.

Toyota sells 205 trucks a day. If their dealers are open 8 hours a day, that means there's a sucker born almost every two minutes.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:52 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Like a Rock is a Chevy commercial.

A glacier wins fans faster.
The Tundra needs a redesign badly, but Toyota just gave it a minor refresh instead.
Nissan's given up and is soldiering on with the Titan.

They recognize the realities of their situation. They're niche players in a brutal segment.
The sales just aren't there to justify the investment needed to seriously compete.
Their strategy now is to cash in as much as they can with what they've got.
Nissan is releasing a new Titan at the end of this year with the famed Cummins Diesel engine and an entire redesign. They're trying to create a new niche to attack the market. I guess I should have known better on city data but there is an excessive amount of misinformation in this thread.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:29 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Nissan is releasing a new Titan at the end of this year with the famed Cummins Diesel engine and an entire redesign. They're trying to create a new niche to attack the market. I guess I should have known better on city data but there is an excessive amount of misinformation in this thread.
Well it's about time. It's only been 12 years.
If they're lucky they'll sell 100K of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive