Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM

772 posts, read 933,076 times

Advertisements

Can't imagine the market would be that strong for these. At that price, why not just buy a Viper and be able to drive it on the streets AND the track, and look a whole lot better doing it too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Wonder how many people buying this car will actually be able to drive it?
The first Hellcat delivered lasted about 45 minutes in Colorado!

First Wrecked Dodge Challenger Hellcat
(Photo : YouTube/Bradley N) The first known wrecked 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat ran off the road and hit a tree in Winter Park, Colorado in December 2014. It is now being put up for auction in Denver.
Back in December, news of the first known wrecked 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat surfaced, and gearheads everywhere mourned. The Colorado State Patrol has confirmed that the driver was 34-year-old Lance Utley of Winter Park, Colorado. Utley was driving along Riverdale Road when he lost control of the car, overcorrected, and hit a tree. Neither Utley nor his two passengers were injured, but he was cited with careless driving (Street Legal TV).

With a 6.2-liter supercharged Hemi V8 producing an astonishing 707 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, it should come as no surprise that this big 'Cat is difficult to tame. And with a price tag of $60,000 before the inevitable markups, you do not need the income of a brain surgeon to get your hands on one. But you do need to use your brain before putting your foot down on that accelerator and unleashing the grunt of the most powerful production muscle car ever made.

This heartbreaking video depicts the injured green beast in a wrecking yard:

It appears that the motor may not have survived the impact. The radiator core support is crushed inwards, and given how snugly that big Hellcat engine is wedged in there, it likely took some serious damage.

The Hellcat is listed here on Insurance Auto Auctions, Inc. (IAAI) as "not ready for sale." The odometer reads just 64 miles. Both the driver and passenger front airbags were deployed in the crash, and the damage appears to be limited to the front end, though the extent of the frame damage is unknown. With the price of a Dodge Hellcat motor alone reaching as high as $17,000 according to Allpar, this car might be a total write-off. The auction will take place in Denver and bidding will be open to anyone who does not want to see this animal get put down.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:53 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,302,210 times
I am a MOPAR fan. Two 1971s in our garage.

My 05 Magnum R/T has about 120K miles and it has been reliable, cost effective, and FUN.

Regarding the new Hemi, they need to build an aluminum block/heads version of the S/C engine!!! Then I'll be impressed...

Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
8 second Quarter Mile
Baaaaaaaahahahahaha!
No way this car can Run consistently 8 sec Quarter miles

Quote:
Performance of the 2015 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak is said to be consistently in the 8.0-second quarter-mile range. Orders for the 2015 Mopar Dodge Challenger Drag Pak open July 23, from authorized Dodge dealerships just in time for the Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals at the Mopar Block Party in Golden, Colorado. The naturally aspirated 426 Hemi Drag Pak kit is priced at $99,426, while the supercharged 354 Hemi Drag Pak kit is priced at $109,354.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Wonder how many people buying this car will actually be able to drive it?
Probably all of them.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:13 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Dodge has been turning out some great stuff lately. Unfortunately this thread, like all, will turn into a Chrysler bashing fest. The clueless people can't help themselves.
I'm not clueless by a long shot. I own a used car business as well as a service business with a fleet of trucks/vans. In used cars, Chrysler is one of the least profitable brands to deal with due to constant surprises and repairs. Then you have customer complaints after the sale that come along with them. We solved the problem by not having Chrysler products on our lot. Of course there are other makes and also specific models of manufacturers that we also avoid but we avoid all Chrysler products.

As for the service business, Dodge trucks required the most maintenance and repairs by a long shot. We use only Ford vans and Chevrolet trucks.

Here is a reliability rating that is based off of warranty claims: Manufacturer Ratings - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?

Notice where Chrysler and Jeep fall. No surprise there. Pick a study, survey or rating of your choice and guess who is consistently at the bottom.

I'm not bashing, I am just putting the statistics out there since your first post in this thread was argumentative. I really don't care whether anyone buys or likes a Chrysler or not.....I don't have to work on it for them. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Clueless...like former Chrysler owners such as myself?

Seriously, I find it amusing that people think Chrysler has the reputation they do just by random chance...
Exactly. They built that reputation themselves through years of sloppiness and lack of dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have to agree with part of your statement. Yes over the years Chrysler has been putting out some great engines. Who can deny the success of the great racing engines including the 392 Hemi and the various wedge engines since the sixties. Unfortunately Chrysler has never seemed to get it right in the build quality of their chassis and bodies. Yes they built some good looking cars over the years and we loved the look of the 72 Challenger that we bought new back in the day.

Nobody will ever say the Cummins powered Dodge pickups were not great towing vehicles but the chassis and bodies were terrible.

As far as these Drag Packs, great nobody expects them to be 100,000 mile street cars.

I't OK to be a fan but sometimes you have to be a realist or you lose all credibility.
I agree. It is ok to be a fan but don't get mad when the stats don't agree with your feelings.

The funny thing is now Fiat realizes they made a mistake buying Chrysler and have gotten themselves in trouble. They are trying to get GM of all companies to buy them out and GM isn't interested. Fiat didn't do themselves any favors either by building one of the biggest pieces of junk on the road called the 500.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I'm not clueless by a long shot. I own a used car business
I stopped reading after that.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:59 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Probably all of them.
Unless the orders are being limited to certain buyers some of them are going to end up going to collectors and hobbyists... or d-bags...

Old 06-29-2015, 05:32 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
Quote:
Of course you did.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
I am not surprised and I don't blame you. You would not have liked the first hand experience I mentioned nor the link to statistics that back up my claims. lol

I know people have this stereotype about used car salesmen. I am not a salesman, I am the owner who makes the decision on what to put on the lot based on customer satisfaction and profit margins. The fact that I can easily sell a Dodge Charger, does not outweigh the fact that I am going to find a laundry list of common problems that must be addressed before we can put it on the lot and then the high rate of complaints about said common issues that surface shortly after the sale that typically end up negating any profit and often ending in a loss.

Anyway, the statistics are what they are and you really cannot argue with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive