Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
That's the problem, many times I have experienced this on flat roads where the trucks are literally neck & neck for ten minutes or more, and many more times that the left lane truck can't maintain speed and pulls a bit ahead, drops back slowly, pulls ahead a little, drops back, etc..
I have never seen what you are talking about. In every case the truck was pulling ahead of the other truck. Maybe I am not as lucky as you are to see such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Truckers should be banned, and all goods shipped by train. More efficient and environmentally sound. Trucks for local trips only.
I want what you are smokeing you make me lol will never happen tell you what next time you want a 12 pack of beer you drive to the brewery and pick it up that's one way to get rid of trucks.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:45 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Truckers should be banned, and all goods shipped by train. More efficient and environmentally sound. Trucks for local trips only.
Methinks the poster above needs to learn a bit more about the real economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
In the Nazi like state of Ca. If a cop saw this it would cost the driver big money for being in the left lane. But try to relax and thank God people are willing to work for such low wages and with little time off to keep everyone supplied with stuff.You get to go home,Showers and decent food are there.And your family. I drove until i destroyed my health.
Hear, hear!!

I spent about eight years in the trucking industry (as a dispatcher), almost all of them in the days of heavy regulation, rigid route structures, pooled "horses" (tractors), and fewer amenities. But I've kept in touch closely enough to learn both that safety is now taken more seriously, and that drivers, through shorter line hauls, and more amenities both within cabs and at the interchanges, now enjoy a somewhat greater amount of options and control over both their lives and health. And a check of some of the audiobooks would demonstrate that more people behind the wheel are thinking a little more deeply.

It was a great experience, just like the Transport Econ I learned in college and the too-short time I spent "slammin' switches" for Amtrak. And forums and discussions like this one let more among us see more of the bigger picture.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
First of all, let me start by saying that yes, I understand first hand the value of trucking and the hard and usually thankless work that truckers do. I really do. But my respect for them pretty much ends there.

See picture. This was taken on EB Hwy 58 near Tehachapi, CA.

This crap needs to stop.

I've read and heard drivers grouse about 'rude and inconsiderate four wheelers' more times than I can count. They can't seem to figure out why everyone hates truckers. This is why. Right here.

It's truly ironic that truckers love to whine about 'rude and inconsiderate four wheelers' when they are notorious for their own 'rude and inconsiderate' behavior in the form of swinging into the left lane (as often as not, very abruptly without any warning). There is absolutely no reason, again, none whatsoever, that justifies this. Creating a logjam a mile long because one driver wants to go 56 and can't live with the one going 55? And on a two lane uphill grade? Seriously? I've heard the excuses about "give us a break" and "it's the inertia and using expensive fuel", ad nauseum. Trust me. I've heard them all. Again, begging for us to cut them some slack while they apparently see nothing wrong with forcing everyone else to slam on their brakes, lose their inertia, and take a haircut on their own gas.

And while yes, I again, for the thousandth time understand that "if I got it a trucker brought it", that is still not a justification for driving in a boorish manner like this. While we appreciate and often take for granted that the shelves are stocked thanks to your efforts, that STILL does not grant you carte blanche to act and drive like an A-whole. I'm sorry. But it doesn't. I know that it will make all the truckers blood out there boil. But I have yet to hear any argument that links the two that stood up to even ten seconds of scrutiny. And yes, I HAVE been on the road and in a truck and so I've seen what you go through. Conversely, as a four wheeler, I try and be courteous within reason. If I see a truck turn his blinkers on while he's still several lengths ahead of me, I'll back off and let him over. I still don't like the inevitable slowdown, but at least he had the courtesy to 'ask' first. So I return a little courtesy. Likewise, if an interchange is approaching and I see (as indicated by flashing blinkers also) that he needs to get over, I also will yield and let the guy over. I also try not to do the other little things that annoy them like drafting or running in a blind spot.

If it were up to me, I would help untie this Gordian Knot by taking one of two causes of action. Either 1) do away with dual speed limits, which are a legitimate hazard. Most of these vehicles are capable of going 70+ provided they aren't governed. Or 2) sock drivers (not the companies, but the drivers) with five digit fines and mandatory suspensions if caught engaging in this behavior as a deliberately punitive measure because the obnoxious manner in which it impedes travel.

Oh and PS: I've been working in transportation and logistics for many years. So while we're at it, the sadistic bean counter who invented the "just in time" concept and thought it was a good idea? Take him out behind the warehouse and beat him to a pulp with a crowbar. I mention this because I know that HOS regs and JIT are contributing factors to a certain extent.

YOU GUYS CLAIM TO BE THE PROFESSIONALS. PROVE IT. START ACTING LIKE ONE. KNOCK THIS CRAP OFF. Please. I'm sorry. I know you guys have a lot of pride and egos as big as your rig. You want to change your image for the better? You're gonna have to swallow a lot of that pride and take that ego down about six notches. It starts with YOU.

So you have to drive at 55 instead of 56. Deal with it. Don't make your impatience everyone elses problem. Maybe then you actually will start getting a little respect.

Thank you.
Always the same old blah, blah, blah, filthy truckers, blah, blah, blah, rude, inconsiderate, cannot drive, truckers, blah blah blah.

Take a video of four wheelers being completely ignorant around trucks then tell me how awful truckers are to four wheelers.

Your attitude is the reason many trucking companies refuse to go to California and the one's that do go to California have to pay their drivers extra.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Will never happen Rail Road workers are paid way more than most truck drivers so freight cost would be higher to pay for the wages of rail workers. My wife's x works for the Canadian National and is a conductor and makes close to $100,000 a year and enginears are paid more. They have a very strong union and have their one retirement system. So they do not pay fica takes they pay railroad retirement taxes. So you think it would be cheaper to use the railroads more than trucks better open your pocket book to pay higher prices for everything.
One engineer and one conductor during one shift do the work of 100-200+ trucks, trains are cheaper. I have no ***** about complaining about trucks. One thing I've been noticing lately is semi's riding cars a**es, it's getting bad. We talked with a company who installs cameras facing forward and at driver of trucks, so all accidents/texting/cell phone use, etc...will be recorded. One thing I will ***** about lately is truckers in the left lane shooting rocks behind from the shoulder.

Last edited by wamer27; 06-30-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Always the same old blah, blah, blah, filthy truckers, blah, blah, blah, rude, inconsiderate, cannot drive, truckers, blah blah blah.

Take a video of four wheelers being completely ignorant around trucks then tell me how awful truckers are to four wheelers.

Your attitude is the reason many trucking companies refuse to go to California and the one's that do go to California have to pay their drivers extra.
Guy I work with, his brother in law owns a trucking company in LA, the reason trucking companies refuse to go to CA is the regulations/restrictions imposed on trucks. Just cause your truck is from a company in Phoenix, the second you cross into CA, your truck has to pass all the CA restrictions, which are terrible and not worth the costs to other states trucking companies.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I am 68 now. I can remember when truckers were called knight of the road. basically then most roads where two lane followed beside railroads right of ways and if you broke down pretty isolated. Truckers saw a car looked broke down they stopped to help most often. They also would signal when it was safe to pass. Modern society where most would be leary of anyone stopping to help in many areas.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have never seen what you are talking about. In every case the truck was pulling ahead of the other truck. Maybe I am not as lucky as you are to see such a thing.
Sadly, not everywhere is as enlightened as Oxnard. Spend a few years driving the freeways in Ohio.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
One engineer and one conductor during one shift do the work of 100-200+ trucks, trains are cheaper. I have no ***** about complaining about trucks. One thing I've been noticing lately is semi's riding cars a**es, it's getting bad. We talked with a company who installs cameras facing forward and at driver of trucks, so all accidents/texting/cell phone use, etc...will be recorded. One thing I will ***** about lately is truckers in the left lane shooting rocks behind from the shoulder.
You can keep on wishing trucks are the king of consumer goods transportation and will not go away, complain all you want still will not change a thing. Compines like swift, JB hunt, Schnider will never go away. Walmart has one of the largest fleets out there. And do you think that they will get rid of fleet and use the railroad keep dreaming. The railroad and trucks work together. Containers are loaded off trains onto trucks. I guess you never see a inter-modal have you when freight trains unload there freight to semi trucks.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
With a shortage of drivers looming the potential for issues becomes greater. We are always going to need truckers. Never mind all the costs. The majority the drivers are good. The bad ones... Well, those are the ones that need education.

Be annoyed all you want. However, when everything you need to survive comes in on a truck... It might be time to reevaluate your opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive