Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
What's a VQ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Mine drinks a quart every 3000 miles.
All cars I've had equipped with a VQ did it.
Same with all Ford V8s I've had, or had experience with.

Hey, I'll take that any day over GM's coolant-drinking problems.
I had a VQ37, and 4500 mile intervals resulted in about 1/2-3/4 quart loss, but also consider I drove it reasonably hard, and every down-shift was rev-matched. I was quite content with the VQ37. The rest of the 370Z was a POS, but the VQ37, I can say nothing bad about except that it got horrible mileage compared to my LS1 and LS7.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:02 AM

178 posts, read 161,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The oil burning issue is more to do with the low tension rings that are being used for the thinner oils. The ring deck height is also part of the issue. Most have moved the ring packs down the piston away from the combustion chamber. Even a few thousandths of an inch makes a huge difference. Some of the auto makers haven't learned the lesson yet.
In regards to oil and 0w, there was a meeting in France earlier this year in regards to the oil viscosity being pushed off on the public. The attendees were motor oil formulators and tribologists from all over the globe. They came to the conclusion that the oils are getting too thin especially for cold start up. There is zero use for any 0w oils. Their pick as the best overall viscosity for any engine made in the world- 25w-40. It provides plenty of flow at cold startup and it will make an engine live longer with the higher HT/HS of the 40 at temp. Will any of the auto makers follow this recommendation? Probably not, They are making millions off of their stupid oil recommends/certifications and are not about to lose the dough.
Viscosity varies with temperature.

0w is the "winter" or cold temp viscosity. You put straight SAE 30 in negative temperatures and you will find out the engine won't start. At engine running temps a 0w-40 and 25w-40 will behave in exactly the same manner once the engine is warmed up. Those in Canada or use snow blowers know the value of using a synthetic 5w or 0w to make sure the engine isn't being lubricated by wax.

Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
I have a 13 volt uses no oil between oil changes, my sister had a Jetta and it used oil and broke dipsticks also. I had a Prius with no oil issues. I think it depends on the day the car was made also.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I have a 13 volt uses no oil between oil changes, my sister had a Jetta and it used oil and broke dipsticks also. I had a Prius with no oil issues. I think it depends on the day the car was made also.
Definitely don't want the last car on the assembly line on Wednesday before Thanksgiving

Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What is a motor then?
A motor requires an external source of power such as electricity. An engine can create its own power

Old 07-01-2015, 01:48 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,730,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A motor requires an external source of power such as electricity. An engine can create its own power
Car engines can't run on it's own

Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
If you want to say motors are powered by electricity just say it. This tortured definition doesn’t help. How does an engine “create" its own power? From what?

Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
My latest issue of Consumer Reports has an article about how some cars lately are burning oil. The ones mostly mentioned were BMW, Audi, and Subaru. It said about 40% of owners never check their oil between changes, so if it's burning a quart every 1k miles that's a real problem. Lots of people are running them bone dry, like what's happening with Hyundai's 2.4 and 2.0T engines, and of course the warranty is denied due to "owner neglect". CR is calling for manufacturers to extend the warranty on engines known to consume oil.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Quote:
Weight" is ridiculous and outmoded. Use CST numbers.
It is not CST, it's written cST. Stokes or in this situation, centistokes, is not an action. Stokes is a name of the man that came up with the rating. The W in 5w-30 does not mean weight. It means winter.

Quote:
You put straight SAE 30 in negative temperatures and you will find out the engine won't start.
Per J300 cold start testing, a modern SAE 30 will pump at temps down to -5. The 25w-40 oil pumps at temps down to -15. Few have -15 cold start up conditions. Worst of all, you used an Amsoil website to boost your claims. You can't be serious. It has long been regarded as the most deceptive advertiser in the world. Half of their claims can not be backed up. You have to wonder about the validity of any company that will use a Timken Bearing test to promote their motor oil. Just where in your engine do you have such bearings? You don't. If you have arctic startup conditions, the best thing you'll ever do is find the CCS rating of the oil. That's the Cold Crank Simulator Test. That tells you EXACTLY how much energy it takes to turn the engine using a specific motor oil. No, they are not the same. While a 0w-XX oil maybe rated at -30, some require more energy to turn the engine than others at cold startup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive