Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:32 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The “past” is more like 50 years ago. No topping off between oil changes was taken for granted.
I don't assume zero oil consumption. Very low perhaps, but zero is impossible. There has to be a film of oil on the cylinder wall and hence in the combustion chamber. There has always been a wide range as to how much oil is burnt even among identical make, model engine. At my repair shop we send vehicles off to the salvage yard every so often that a timely quart of oil could have saved.

THERE IS A REASON FOR THE DIPSTICK!

Yes, some European vehicles have eliminated it. Bad idea IMHO.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My latest issue of Consumer Reports has an article about how some cars lately are burning oil. The ones mostly mentioned were BMW, Audi, and Subaru. It said about 40% of owners never check their oil between changes,
That's their own ignorance then..

Quote:
so if it's burning a quart every 1k miles that's a real problem. Lots of people are running them bone dry, like what's happening with Hyundai's 2.4 and 2.0T engines, and of course the warranty is denied due to "owner neglect". CR is calling for manufacturers to extend the warranty on engines known to consume oil.
I am generally a fan of CR, but not always and this is a good example. Why don't they try to educate their public about what a dipstick is for?

Don in Austin

Old 07-02-2015, 09:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

I am generally a fan of CR, but not always and this is a good example. Why don't they try to educate their public about what a dipstick is for?

Don in Austin
They did, there's a pictorial at the end of the article showing people how to check their oil.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 AM

281 posts, read 368,817 times
You guys, quit being so ridiculous! Asking people to check their oil?? That's preposterous! We have mandatory TPMS systems now and can't be expected to check our tire pressure, so why should we have to open the hood and potentially get a bit of grease on our hands?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Run bone dry with no oil warning light or low oil pressure ;seems strange.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

Sensors can fail.

The low oil pressure switch on my Infiniti is located right next to the oil filter. A few oil changes ago, I noticed I had broken the sensor, prob when removing the filter.

So I had prob driven quite a bit with no functioning warning light on a car that burns 1-2 quarts per 5K miles

Old 07-02-2015, 12:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In many vehicles by the time the oil light comes on its too late, the damage has been done.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
In many vehicles by the time the oil light comes on its too late, the damage has been done.
No, not many but just about all. Well, flickering is one thing but on steady is 99% sure engine death.

Don in Austin

Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM

178 posts, read 162,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
It is not CST, it's written cST. Stokes or in this situation, centistokes, is not an action. Stokes is a name of the man that came up with the rating. The W in 5w-30 does not mean weight. It means winter.

Per J300 cold start testing, a modern SAE 30 will pump at temps down to -5. The 25w-40 oil pumps at temps down to -15. Few have -15 cold start up conditions. Worst of all, you used an Amsoil website to boost your claims. You can't be serious. It has long been regarded as the most deceptive advertiser in the world. Half of their claims can not be backed up. You have to wonder about the validity of any company that will use a Timken Bearing test to promote their motor oil. Just where in your engine do you have such bearings? You don't. If you have arctic startup conditions, the best thing you'll ever do is find the CCS rating of the oil. That's the Cold Crank Simulator Test. That tells you EXACTLY how much energy it takes to turn the engine using a specific motor oil. No, they are not the same. While a 0w-XX oil maybe rated at -30, some require more energy to turn the engine than others at cold startup.
Wait just a moment. The unit for energy is joules. Yes, I do see that the Cold Crank Simulator test measures something, but it is not measuring Joules. It measures centipoise or millipascal-second. The CCS tells me something about the apparent viscosity of the oil, not the energy it takes to start up an engine. If the Petroleum Quality Institue of America has any weight in what they publish, a 10w oil must pass a viscosity limit of 7000 mPa s it cannot be labelled as such.

Sure, Amsoil could be providing false information, but not on basis of the Amsoil name, but rather the statements they provided in the article are indeed false. Simply mention the paragraphs that contain the errors, and all will benefit from you showing that that article contains specific instances of bad information.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,910,560 times
My Honda Fit has ~130K miles and has never drank oil. I don't top off and have not had to since Day 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive