Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is Opel an American car?
Easy...the guy was brave enough to admit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I own a Japanese car... a Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was built in Normal, IL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 11:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
#firstworldproblems

BMWs are pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside.
LOL...ugly inside of the dealership.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:38 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's not just Toyota though...very few of the non-union shop automakers are paying the money that Tier 1 guys at UAW plants make. When i found out what Toyota San Antonio workers were making, i found that hard to choke down. Peanuts. But i guess they see it as better than nothing.

One non-union shop (i think they're non-union) that pays really good is Honda in Marysville, Oh, but you can't pull the okey doke on Ohioans that you can pull on Texans or Alabamans. They know what those jobs are supposed to be paying while still keeping the company profitable.

BTW...not talking about the engineers or other white collars...i'm talking about the associates (assembly line guys).
I am not a Toyota employee, but I work in San Antonio. What you failed to realize is the cost of living in San Antonio is pretty low. The wages combined with the benefits the line workers get is pretty fair but not union inflated.

A lot of the line workers employees at the toyota texas plant moved here when unionized plants like NUMMI shut down and while they miss home, I never hear them complain about not having a union or the wages once they realize how much cheaper Texas is compared to California.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
For an all around daily driver the Camry is a reliable economical appliance , wish i had one..
http://blog.rochestertoyota.net/wp-c...-Camry-XSE.jpg

As for post 2 while you may find riding in a Yugo to be more interesting which car would you prefer as your daily driver=
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0003_large.jpg

Old 07-05-2015, 06:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
I just picked up our '15 Kia Optima, assembled in West Point Georgia. Nice ride and not boring.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Is Opel an American car?
They do not build or sell any Opels in the U.S.
Buick Regal is built in Canada. Not American.
Buick Verano is built in Michigan. American.
Buick Cascada will be built in Germany. Not American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Easy...the guy was brave enough to admit:
It's an appliance that I drive to work.
The top also goes down... can't say that about any recently built Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I just picked up our '15 Kia Optima, assembled in West Point Georgia. Nice ride and not boring.
And not American. KIA is a Korean company.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-05-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Is Opel an American car?
GM owns 100% of Opel. Does that make it an American company? Its all about where the profits go right?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
And not American. KIA is a Korean company.
So, what's the point? You're not one of those "buy American" guys are you? Right now, it's virtually impossible to buy a 100% American made production automobile or pick up truck. While the American auto industry squandered its lead in the world, they facilitated foreign manufacturers to get a foothold into the North American market. That cost a lot of people their jobs, and when they refused to spend on factory upgrades, we wound up paying for that with government bailouts to save the industry and in the meantime GM was building plants in China. In contrast, foreign money came in and built modern factories and saved some jobs. It's a global industry dude, the days of national loyalty in brands in any industry is just about gone, like it or not.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
GM owns 100% of Opel. Does that make it an American company? Its all about where the profits go right?
The only Opel that is an American car is the Ampera.
A car built in Germany or Canada cannot be American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, what's the point? You're not one of those "buy American" guys are you?
Nope.
Why do people even feel the need to say a foreign car is American? Do they have some sort of guilt complex?
I don't... I freely admit my Eclipse is Japanese and don't try to pass it off as something it's not.
My wife likes the Cadillac SRX. Not for a moment would I consider it an American car. It is built in Mexico.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-05-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
The only Opel that is an American car is the Ampera.
A car built in Germany or Canada cannot be American.
Sure it can. If its owned by an American company. Country of manufacture is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive