Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i mean the PERFECT car would be the 2015/16 Forester XT with cloth seats (and a manual tras - why oh why is this not available?!).

that said, it might be a bit out of my range. my problem is i'm just not quite sure HOW much car i can afford. i've never bought my own car. i was gifted my first 2
The turbo/automatic combination is rather unfortunate, but the CVT is not too bad and it has "gear" like shift points if you want. Based on your earlier post, as long as you have good credit, I presume you can qualify for financing or lease on a new model. Whether you can "afford" it in the larger sense is kind of up to you to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM

402 posts, read 369,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The disadvantage: It costs more than owning.
Not necessarily. You have to run the numbers, and not just one of these silly "lease vs buy" calculators online. Sometimes there are great offers available for leasing (low money factor, high residual, etc) that make it cheaper than owning, if you meet the mileage criteria.
Quote:
I've learned that Subarus used cost way too much. I'd prefer a new one with a factory warranty.
This. We ended up leasing a new Forrester for my wife because used prices weren't vastly lower, and with used car loans having a higher interest rate than new, it would have cost us about the same (or more, depending on repairs needed) over six years as leasing two brand new ones for 3 years with warranties.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
i have about $20k in my 401k.

i do a lot of driving in bad weather (i live in NY, snowboard often) so i really do need something with a capable 4wd system in addition to snow tires most likely.

i am now considering buying used. checking this out now:

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i in Hartford, CT- 11853041 at carmax.com
I would buy a used Subaru, if you can find one w/o many miles. Seems that many used Subarus have a lot of mileage.

The gas mileage isn't bad, considering it's AWD. Very useful vehicles - for bad weather, toting things around, driving in comfort, safety.

I wonder what happened to your Honda Accord? They generally are very reliable and last 15+ years. Is it the driving conditions, you think?

REPAIRS ON SUBARUS: They are a bit pricey to repair. Not as much as high end cars like Lexus, but more than Hondas, which in turn are more than Fords. (I had a Forester for 14 years. Loved it. But it was costly to repair.)

Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
i have about $20k in my 401k.
You will need about a million dollars. So yes you are on a start - but a small start.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
That's too much. $20.6K and it has 38K miles on it.

You can get a new one just like it for $21.8K

Colorado Springs New Subaru Forester Inventory | Heuberger Motors, Inc

I've learned that Subarus used cost way too much. I'd prefer a new one with a factory warranty.
If he's in Colorado Springs. If he's near me he'll pay $25.6.

New 2016 Subaru Forester For Sale Near Washington DC in Waldorf MD | JF2SJABC2GH437935

OP, I'd tell you to buy rather than lease. For most people leasing isn't really the wise choice. It is for businesses since you get to write off the costs.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If he's in Colorado Springs. If he's near me he'll pay $25.6.

New 2016 Subaru Forester For Sale Near Washington DC in Waldorf MD | JF2SJABC2GH437935

OP, I'd tell you to buy rather than lease. For most people leasing isn't really the wise choice. It is for businesses since you get to write off the costs.
You can write off expenses on a purchased car as well.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:45 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
If you buy used find a mechanic the specializes in Subarus, they are unlike most other cars and most mechanics do not know how to work on them. Many engine repairs require pulling the motor, a Subie mechanic can do it in about an hour. The NA engines are much more reliable than the turbo models. One downside to Subies is that you cannot replace 1 or 2 tires if they are worn, you have to replace all 4, if you drive on tires that are not all the same circumference you WILL burn up the center diff.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If you buy used find a mechanic the specializes in Subarus, they are unlike most other cars and most mechanics do not know how to work on them. Many engine repairs require pulling the motor, a Subie mechanic can do it in about an hour. The NA engines are much more reliable than the turbo models. One downside to Subies is that you cannot replace 1 or 2 tires if they are worn, you have to replace all 4, if you drive on tires that are not all the same circumference you WILL burn up the center diff.
Absolutely correct. And a good word to the wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive