Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times

Advertisements

Well the fact is most people DO NOT HAVE a lot of money, so the only one they can sue is the insurance company. And they are ONLY going to pay for what they are legally responsible for, not a cent more. And that would only go up to the limit of the policy.

So this idea would not make anyone rich. They likely, more than not, to wind up with nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 PM

47 posts, read 78,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Well the fact is most people DO NOT HAVE a lot of money, so the only one they can sue is the insurance company. And they are ONLY going to pay for what they are legally responsible for, not a cent more. And that would only go up to the limit of the policy.
So, you are saying if I don't have car insurance, I can hit anybody and any car without paying anything for the other person because I have no insurance?

If one day you run into someone like that biker, you will know how it feel.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

So this idea would not make anyone rich. They likely, more than not, to wind up with nothing.
No, that's also not true. I was involved in a car accident involving a fatality back in 2011. The accident wasn't in any way my fault. I at no point ever had any legal responsibility for it. Still, because the passenger who wasn't wearing a set belt in the at-fault car was ejected momentarily (still in the air) before the car hit me head-on, it wasn't the type of case they wanted to take to trial. Dead 16-year-old isn't a defense case, regardless of what the facts are. Juries rule by emotion as much, if not more, than they do by facts.

In my case, most of my money is in my earning potential. I'm looking at 35 or so years of decent earnings to garnish, which is a lot of money. Yeah, you can't get blood from a stone but most people you can get blood out of. That's why you carry decent levels of insurance. The complaint started off at $500,000 and went to a million once they got my policy limits through discovery. Now, had the accident been my fault and I had not had insurance or the minimum required insurance, they probably would take that to court and get a garnishment on my earnings. Since it wasn't my fault, they ended up settling for much less than that out of court.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I would think that the biker thought that they could beat the car making the left turn, not throwing themselves into your path for a potential lawsuit, absent a factor of a mentally ill individual who wants to do themselves harm by jumping in front of a vehicle. Many pedestrians and cyclists tend to do this in my experience, where the left turn arrows are green, yet the pedestrian or cyclist is operating on the fallacious premise that they have the right of way because the cross traffic has stopped. They do not wait for the walk signal or a green signal in their direction of travel, and step into the street or crosswalk.

Always scan the intersection for potential obstacles when you are waiting to make a turn at a light. I never understand how some people, and I am not suggesting that's the case with the OP, tend to fly into a left turn merely because the light has turned green. The light grants you access to make your turn, but it is still incumbent on the driver to ensure that it is safe to do so, and if that means driving slowly past a pedestrian or cyclist who may step off the curb, so be it. When I am a pedestrian or on my bicycle, I obey the rules of the road, but so many do not, so always expect that they will do something stupid, and you will be prepared for the eventuality when they live up to that expectation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-08-2015, 08:35 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Regardless of the intentions of the cyclist, you mentioned using the "emergency brake". Just so you know, the "emergency brake" is really a parking brake and just uses the back brakes on your car which can be drum brakes instead of disc and in some cases, just a small drum brake in the middle of the disc assembly and is connected with a cable. The rear brakes on cars provide well less than half the braking power of a car. I some cases, maybe 25%. Activating them with the cable diminshed this further.

You would be much better off just using the normal brake pedal to stop in all cases.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
I drive semi-trucks for a living. I see this crap on a regular basis. Thankfully the company I work for has had cameras installed in all of their trucks.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Dude.. these are not in the USA.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post
So, you are saying if I don't have car insurance, I can hit anybody and any car without paying anything for the other person because I have no insurance?

If you are a nobody.. yes.. If you want a future and don't want to be owned by someone, then you would care to get insurance.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Regardless of the intentions of the cyclist, you mentioned using the "emergency brake". Just so you know, the "emergency brake" is really a parking brake and just uses the back brakes on your car which can be drum brakes instead of disc and in some cases, just a small drum brake in the middle of the disc assembly and is connected with a cable. The rear brakes on cars provide well less than half the braking power of a car. I some cases, maybe 25%. Activating them with the cable diminshed this further.

You would be much better off just using the normal brake pedal to stop in all cases.
OP is an inexperienced driver learning the surprises of the road.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post

Learn to READ! Nowhere did I say that! My words are above for you to re-read...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive