Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:14 AM

47 posts, read 78,100 times

Advertisements

Today, I'm really really sad. On the way home, I stop at an intersection on the red light and my friend's car in front of me. We are on the left turn lane. When the left turn Arrow light turns on, my friend turns left. Right after my friend's car pass the pedestrian double white lines, a biker starts biking to cross the street and I almost hit him. Lucky, I was able to pull the emergency brake immediately and stop my car from hitting him. At that moment, my left turn green arrow light was still on green. That means that biker attempted to get hit by my car so that he can sue me for a few hundred thousands of dollar.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,290,060 times
He was most likely not paying attention

Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,899,952 times
A general rule, always expect cyclists to do stupid things.

Why did you use the emergency brake? That is a bad habit to develop. It will likely take more time to reach for the brake and apply it than it would to move your foot to the brake pedal. Also on most vehicles the e-brake only works on the rear wheels so you have no front braking, where most of the braking is done, so it may actually take longer to stop. That's not what that brake lever is for.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,880,805 times
I doubt if the biker is trying to get hurt so s/he could sue you. This sort of thing happens all the time every day. Pedestrians and bikers will always feel they have the right of way. As a driver behind a few thousand pounds of steels, you just have to be alert and watch for this sort of stuff.

If you are a young inexperienced driver, it's a good reminder to always be on alert when you are driving.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post
Today, I'm really really sad. On the way home, I stop at an intersection on the red light and my friend's car in front of me. We are on the left turn lane. When the left turn Arrow light turns on, my friend turns left. Right after my friend's car pass the pedestrian double white lines, a biker starts biking to cross the street and I almost hit him. Lucky, I was able to pull the emergency brake immediately and stop my car from hitting him. At that moment, my left turn green arrow light was still on green. That means that biker attempted to get hit by my car so that he can sue me for a few hundred thousands of dollar.

How would the biker know that you have so much money it would be worth a few injuries just to sue you for a few hundred thousands of dollars?

I would venture to guess the rider of the bicycle was not paying attention.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,231,440 times
You had the right-of-way, so the bike rider would get NOTHING. Plus lawyers don't take cases they can't win. And dead people can't sue.

FYI - Just because you have the right-of-way does not mean you should keep going... it is "nice" to stop and not run people over.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

18,860 posts, read 27,297,121 times
Agreed, CYCLISTS treat roads like they own them. I'm in Seattle, city is plagued by this.
Agreed, pedestrians don't give rat's ars about lights and have maniacal entitlement attitude towards drivers. I am likely safe to presume that there is rather a large financial interest mixed into this also.
Yes, dead people do not sue. Their relatives WILL.
Yes, you had the right of yield. But can you PROVE it? You ever been mugged by a decent attorney that is VERY interested in discrediting you by all means? Btw, that's when dash cams come in very handy. As you have PROOF.
Oh, you do not have couple hundred thousand dollars? But you have house? Car or cars? Ever heard of folks stripped to bare skin by law suites? Ending with life long payments to one who "suffered injuries"?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,850,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
You had the right-of-way, so the bike rider would get NOTHING. Plus lawyers don't take cases they can't win. And dead people can't sue.

FYI - Just because you have the right-of-way does not mean you should keep going... it is "nice" to stop and not run people over.
Insisting on your right of way even when you know it will cause a collision isn't a right. It's a bit difficult to prove that, provided you aren't stupid enough to say you kept going even though you saw the hazard and just didn't feel like being nice that day. And dead people can't sue, but their families can and do.

Bigger concern is the misuse of the emergency brake in that situation. If an anemic emergency brake was all it took, it really wasn't that close of an accident to begin with.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,572,060 times
All kinds of suits are dismissed and even found to be fraud or false claims once trial is over. As to right of way most states actually have requirement to avoid collision where possible and even allow illegal movement to do so. One of the real problems facing computer driven cars that are programed to react as programed Often by the what the law is strictly; without human judgment factors.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 78,100 times
I asked my friend after. My friend told me that he also saw that biker waiting at the light pole. This is not the first time I almost hit someone or a car when they are really trying to make quick money from my insurance company. Whether that biker tried to get hit by my car or not, there are still people who will try to fraudulently claim/sue other people for large amount of money?

Please watch how lame most of these a****** are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0rWrA8jNI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive