Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 705 times

Advertisements

I'm an idiot and scraped my car up the other day. I am planning on taking it somewhere to get an estimate, but I had a couple questions first. Where should I take my car for cheap cosmetic repair? Also, will this show up on the CarFax? This was not an accident - no police were involved and no insurance will be involved. I would also like to know how much this might be to repair because I feel like it will be pretty expensive but I want to make sure I am getting it as cheap as I can. Thank you so much for your help.

How much will this damage cost?-img_3578.jpg

How much will this damage cost?-img_3580.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
LOL! No, it's not going to be reported on your Car Fax. It's not an accident involving a collision with another car. It's just a mild scrape. It actually doesn't look bad at all. There's no body work that needs to be done, just to sand it a bit and repaint and blend. It shouldn't cost over $300 if that. Just do not take it to Maaco, and do not take it to a body shop your car dealership suggests. Usually a car dealership's body shop is going to charge you three times as much as an independent body shop. I would hit up the forums on City-Data in your area and ask what are the best body shops to take your car to. Someone is bound to know of a great body shop within your area.

Just food for thought, someone keyed the front bumper of my Mustang a few years ago. I took it to one of the local, well respected body shops and it came to about $300. The key mark was the length of the bumper and it was quite deep. From what I can tell with your pictures, that doesn't look bad at all.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,255,219 times
How you tried buffing it out? Most of it looks like surface, although its hard to tell from those pictures.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Of course pic is quite crappy but if your finger nail does not catch on the scrape edge, YOU can simply elbow grease it away. With WetOrdry sand paper and plenty of water. Then maybe some buffing compound. It's a bit of art though, as rookie may simply sand through the paint and make it worse. But you start with 1200 grit and go all the way into 3 000 grit followed by polishing compound. Entire repair should be about $20 and 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive