Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,145 times

Advertisements

So I recently replaced my front disc brakes on my '06 Dodge Charger, all new rotors and brake pads. Brakes feel and perform fine but about a week or two after the replacement they now start to squeal when I come to stop at slow speed. I've heard that this can be "normal" that it's just the pad and rotor surfaces not quite meshing to make an agreeable sound but otherwise functioning safely.

I'll be taking my car in soon for oil change/tire rotation and probably an alignment and have my mechanic look into the squealing and if it can be eliminated as it's rather annoying driving and sounding like a school bus.

Any thoughts as to why? Is it unreasonable to expect "quiet brakes" when newly replaced?

My car also recently developed a slight vibration at higher speed, hence my alignment check...could this disrupt brakes as well?

Thanks for any and all comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM_W&M06 View Post
So I recently replaced my front disc brakes on my '06 Dodge Charger, all new rotors and brake pads. Brakes feel and perform fine but about a week or two after the replacement they now start to squeal when I come to stop at slow speed. I've heard that this can be "normal" that it's just the pad and rotor surfaces not quite meshing to make an agreeable sound but otherwise functioning safely.

I'll be taking my car in soon for oil change/tire rotation and probably an alignment and have my mechanic look into the squealing and if it can be eliminated as it's rather annoying driving and sounding like a school bus.

Any thoughts as to why? Is it unreasonable to expect "quiet brakes" when newly replaced?

My car also recently developed a slight vibration at higher speed, hence my alignment check...could this disrupt brakes as well?

Thanks for any and all comments!
I think the Haynes manual for my car recommends some sort of anti-squeal compound being applied to the brakes before you install them. Did you use any such thing when you changed them out?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Who did the brakes? What kind of pads did you put on? Did you use brake grease at all?

And a high-speed vibration is not caused by an alignment issue.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
They should not be squealing. The backing of the pads should have the anti squeal grease on them and the caliper pins may need to be greased too with caliper grease.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I think the Haynes manual for my car recommends some sort of anti-squeal compound being applied to the brakes before you install them. Did you use any such thing when you changed them out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Who did the brakes? What kind of pads did you put on? Did you use brake grease at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
They should not be squealing. The backing of the pads should have the anti squeal grease on them and the caliper pins may need to be greased too with caliper grease.
I didn't do the brakes myself, my mechanic did so I'll ask about the anti-squeal grease when I take the car in. Thanks for the diagnosis!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
And a high-speed vibration is not caused by an alignment issue.
Hmmm, it definitely feels like my right front wheel is shaking...loose lugnut then? Or suspension?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times
It * could * be an improper cleaning of the rotors prior to installation. This would fade as they wear and you could help it along by hitting the brakes hard someplace safe.

You can try this:

Go to the car wash and stick that wand through the wheel right on the caliper and rotor. Blast the heck out of both sides. Hop in the car and drive it. If the squeak is gone, then you can be sure it is either brake composition or brake dust. One note of caution: New brake pads dust excessively when wearing. It could just be dust. Spraying the wheel will not clean your brakes. You have to get deep down inside.

It could also be that the composition of the pads and rotors are not compatible. The physical composition of the brake pads can set harmonic tones with the metal composition of the rotors. In that case, you would have to consider changing to a different composition pad, perhaps ceramic.

Ball joints squeak over bumps and would have to be really bad to squeak ,and you can get squeak from sway arm bushings and bad wheel bearings, too. But, if it just started after your new brake installation, I would check the first two things I listed as they are the easiest.

The car wash is your first step.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
It * could * be an improper cleaning of the rotors prior to installation. This would fade as they wear and you could help it along by hitting the brakes hard someplace safe.

You can try this:

Go to the car wash and stick that wand through the wheel right on the caliper and rotor. Blast the heck out of both sides. Hop in the car and drive it. If the squeak is gone, then you can be sure it is either brake composition or brake dust. One note of caution: New brake pads dust excessively when wearing. It could just be dust. Spraying the wheel will not clean your brakes. You have to get deep down inside.

It could also be that the composition of the pads and rotors are not compatible. The physical composition of the brake pads can set harmonic tones with the metal composition of the rotors. In that case, you would have to consider changing to a different composition pad, perhaps ceramic.

Ball joints squeak over bumps and would have to be really bad to squeak ,and you can get squeak from sway arm bushings and bad wheel bearings, too. But, if it just started after your new brake installation, I would check the first two things I listed as they are the easiest.

The car wash is your first step.
Thanks for the tips! I'll try them this weekend.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Few possibilities
Tires out of balance
Steering or suspension parts worn
Wheel bearing worn
CV joint on the axle worn/damage
Lug nuts loose

Has this happened before the brake job? Were your tires rotated recently or during the brake job? Any other parts replaced?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Few possibilities
Tires out of balance
Steering or suspension parts worn
Wheel bearing worn
CV joint on the axle worn/damage
Lug nuts loose

Has this happened before the brake job? Were your tires rotated recently or during the brake job? Any other parts replaced?
Didn't really notice the shake til some longer road trips on the interstate (above 65 mph) after the brake job back in mid June. No other replacement parts, just a tire rotation the same time.

Again, thanks for the troubleshooting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive