Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:14 PM

423 posts, read 452,589 times

Advertisements

I've worked with/experienced with many of Honda's products(lawn mowers, cars) and I don't see what's so great about them.

Lawn mower I had(Honda GCV 160 motor) was reliable and all but that was about it. I have driven a Honda Accord EX-L('11) 4 cyl model. It feels slower than a Prius(which I have driven too). Steering feels odd. Suspension is firm but bouncy. Engine feels weak for such a big car. Throttle response is slow. I mean it is reliable but again, that's about it. Nothing great about it. The car has 41,000 miles.

Anyone else here thinks Honda's are over hyped? I feel like there should be more to this Accord since Honda has such a good reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,134,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
... it is reliable....
And that's what their reputation is all about. Honda makes decent cars, sells them for a decent price, and they're reliable.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Meh. My buddy bought a Honda. By the time he had 30k he had a bad strut, windshield wipers would just go on and had one door lock that would just pop open. I think they are reliable cars but not as reliable as people make them out to be. The reason they were so " reliable" was because the competition was that much less reliable. But the competition closed in on them.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 PM

922 posts, read 1,139,809 times
If the alternative is breaking down and leaving you stranded which all our Fords often did, then you wouldn't think reliability was over-hyped.

No Honda has ever left me stranded. Not even a 17 year old Accord with over 200k miles on it which I often drove through 100 degree desert. It also got 40MPG.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:01 PM

178 posts, read 158,794 times
Their drivetrains don't break, or least they used not do that during the 90s. Now, they have stepped down quite a few notches but still have that glorious 90s reputation keeping them afloat. Having suffered in a 89 Civic wagon with no AC because of mystery leak, never again. And there was also the poorly designed transmission they developed in the early '00s.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:36 PM

1,962 posts, read 6,778,888 times
They have had their share of automatic transmission and AC issues along with some minor brake quirks. But other than that they are generally reliable. When you have to drive 20K miles a year, reliability and gas mileage/ease of repair/maintenance become very important. Now if you are comparing an Accord with a Prius, then it is a tough one. The Accord would overall be safer (due to size) & more comfortable whereas the Prius would be more economical.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:11 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times
Well, let me add my two cents worth in. I have a 2011 Honda Accord V6 EX-L. It has about 72,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new in 2011. Just yesterday, driving home from work, the car started shaking at the stop light, the engine light came on, and I started smelling something getting hot. When I took off from the light, the car would barely go - kicked like a mule! Never had this problem until yesterday. My earliest diagnosis is that the transmission has went out in it, but I haven't gotten it to a mechanic yet to know if it's truly that serious or if it's something to a lesser extent. I'm fearing the worst though. Oh, and it's got that "glorious" CVT transmission in it.

I'll say, even despite my issues with the Accord, Honda's reputation is still intact for their other vehicles. I would still get a Civic, especially an SI, and my wife has leased a CR-V in the past. I'm kind of the type, though, that once I have significant trouble with a vehicle, that is it for me. I don't care how much they improve said vehicle in the future, it leaves a stigma that I can't get past.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 AM

29,764 posts, read 18,629,952 times
I've had several Honda cars and Honda mowers. To me, the engines are fantastic and go forever. One area I think Honda doesn't match up so well is their seats as Mazda, for example, has better seats for similar market cars. Since I have gone upscale to BMW with my latest car purchase, I wouldn't want to go back to Hondas (though there's nothing wrong with them) due to the overall quality of every component of the BMW seems better than Honda....as long as you don't mind paying the additional cost.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,705,236 times
I have heard very few bad things about Honda, I think they are a very reputable car company that makes reliable cars. I personally would never own a Honda automobile but the Honda engines in lawn mowers, generators, etc...that I have experienced are all great.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM

5,915 posts, read 6,397,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, let me add my two cents worth in. I have a 2011 Honda Accord V6 EX-L. It has about 72,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new in 2011. Just yesterday, driving home from work, the car started shaking at the stop light, the engine light came on, and I started smelling something getting hot. When I took off from the light, the car would barely go - kicked like a mule! Never had this problem until yesterday. My earliest diagnosis is that the transmission has went out in it, but I haven't gotten it to a mechanic yet to know if it's truly that serious or if it's something to a lesser extent. I'm fearing the worst though. Oh, and it's got that "glorious" CVT transmission in it.

I'll say, even despite my issues with the Accord, Honda's reputation is still intact for their other vehicles. I would still get a Civic, especially an SI, and my wife has leased a CR-V in the past. I'm kind of the type, though, that once I have significant trouble with a vehicle, that is it for me. I don't care how much they improve said vehicle in the future, it leaves a stigma that I can't get past.
BTW, I was wrong about the CVT transmission. I was sure my Honda had it, but it doesn't. Which is a good thing in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive