Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

You said there is some issues about your old car. If you can get the money you want with the car, I think you could sell it and buy a new one. Repairing always costs a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 12:09 AM

734 posts, read 841,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Its a Cobalt with issues, what good is it to you to keep it ???

Trade it in, sell it or junk it because your looking for something else correct ???
They are not major issues, mainly cosmetic, it gets me from point A to B. Not sure how much longer tho.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I sold a rusted old heap of a car with a leaking gas tank. Stated all in listing with pictures. Got $400.00 for it.

You certainly can trade it in but you will get nothing for it in trade.
Oh, they will throw a number at you off MSRP. But you would pay the same if you paid cash or financed.
So in reality you get nothing for the trade in.

As the consumer magazines state. Go to dealer in another car and negotiate the best price with no trade in.
Then go back and bring this car and state you want to trade in. They may "give" you something at this point - but it would be the same as if you waited a few days/week or so - as dealer will keep calling and lowering price as time goes by.

If the markup on a car/truck is $3,000 and they give you $1,000 for your trade - they still make $2,000.00 on sale.

Most people don't comprehend the concept.
This is actually false. You want to have all your cards on the table and look at the bottom line number, not look at it as if it's 2 seperate transactions. You want to see what the new car price - trade in value = (add in tax) then add in any money that you would still owe on the old car. That bottom line number is what you want to be looking at to get the best deal. Not many people comprehend this concept.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,334 times
One thing I learned after moving from Florida to Pennsylvania is the tendency for people who drive nice cars to store their cars for the winter and bring out "winter beaters" for the snow season. I've seen mechanically reliable yet cosmetically defective cars with major body and interior issues go for $500-$1000.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM

528 posts, read 822,982 times
For me I like having a beater for rainy or more importantly snowy weather when they saturate the roads with salt. Several years ago I had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix, Over the course of four years I drove that car a little over 50,000 miles. That was 50,000 miles that did not go on my newer Jeep Cherokee. That was four Cincinnati winters that my Jeep was not subjected to salt. If that is not a concern where you live you may still want to keep it around just to save wear and tear on your new vehicle, it could adds years to your new cars life. The trick is knowing when to get something fixed when it breaks or to say NO if it cost to much. For me that point came when the transmission needed a rebuild.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Donate it to a charity and take the Blue Book value deduction on your taxes.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 PM

734 posts, read 841,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjken View Post
For me I like having a beater for rainy or more importantly snowy weather when they saturate the roads with salt. Several years ago I had a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix, Over the course of four years I drove that car a little over 50,000 miles. That was 50,000 miles that did not go on my newer Jeep Cherokee. That was four Cincinnati winters that my Jeep was not subjected to salt. If that is not a concern where you live you may still want to keep it around just to save wear and tear on your new vehicle, it could adds years to your new cars life. The trick is knowing when to get something fixed when it breaks or to say NO if it cost to much. For me that point came when the transmission needed a rebuild.
I had the same thought. OTOH the car doesn't have the best safety ratings (mid 2000 GM economy car) so not exactly the best car to drive in the snow/ice.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM

138 posts, read 129,634 times
The annual cost of insurance (liability only) for my extra car exceeded the car's value. Plus, I would still have had to maintain it (a car not driven often will go bad faster). I sold it for $500.

Let's say that in a year or two my current car fails and I can't afford a decent car short-term, I'll buy a different junky car for $500-1500 and still at least break even, considering what I got for the car when I sold it and what I would have spent to insure and maintain it.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,670 times
If I could still get the car I want at a reasonable price then I would still trade the car even with a low trade in pricepoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive