Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Car parked on the shoulder of the interstate - do you change lanes?
Yes 58 47.15%
No 8 6.50%
Case by case 53 43.09%
Only for emergency vehicles 8 6.50%
I had never thought of this 2 1.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,774,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
When you are driving on the interstate and you observe a vehicle parked on the shoulder do you merge over and put a lane between you and the car on the shoulder? Do you do nothing? Case by case basis?
Case by Case. I keep an eye for movement from within the vehicle in case someone elects to open the door and if the sweep of the door may enter my lane. etc.etc. If the tints are too dark I assume someone will open the door at any instant and edge to the left of my lane and prepare for emergency maneuvers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,274,701 times
I always merge over if I'm able too. If I can't then I ease on the gas and try and slow down without slamming the brakes. Someone a few years ago decided it'd be smart to get out of their stalled car on the highway and stand right next to the drivers side door. You need guts to do that but that's suicide. Not the smartest idea. The guy ended up losing his life because someone rear ended a car that then lost control and slammed right into this guy and killed him almost instantly. It was on the news and if I find the article then I'd post it.

I couldn't imagine what those 2 drivers in both cars dealt with after that incident. I'm playing it save by merging over and not trying to ruin my life or someone else's over something so simple by just moving over 1 lane. It takes 3 seconds.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:37 PM

899 posts, read 1,006,739 times
I always try to keep an open space next to me so I can move over for any reason.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,443,903 times
Ever since Texas made it a law that you have to change lanes or slow down a considerable amount when passing an emergency vehicle on the side of the road, I try my hardest to switch lanes for any driver on the side of the road if conditions permit it.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 424 times
Default DO NOT just slam on breaks, look ahead

Basically what everyone else has said. But they should NOT just slam on breaks in the left lane of the interstate. That is how I totaled my car, the person in front of a line of cars slammed on their breaks instead of just moving over, causing my car to circle across 4 lanes of traffic and hit a guy. And we were not even going that fast.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 PM

15,189 posts, read 8,774,311 times
Quote:
When you are driving on the interstate and you observe a vehicle parked on the shoulder do you merge over and put a lane between you and the car on the shoulder? Do you do nothing? Case by case basis?
Case by case. How close is the car to the traffic lane? Are people standing beside the car? Will traffic conditions allow me to move over?

Old 10-30-2017, 06:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,013,026 times
Quote:

Depends on how close or far the vehicle is from the edge of outer-most lane. Of course if I were to move over half or one full lane I would look first, and SIGNAL such intention - something most people forget to do, the part about signaling.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,740,313 times
If I've seen the car there before and I know nobody is on-site... then I don't bother.

Otherwise of course I change lanes. I'm not an animal!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,416 posts, read 16,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
If I've seen the car there before and I know nobody is on-site... then I don't bother.

Otherwise of course I change lanes. I'm not an animal!
And if safe it's the law in many states, including New York.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:56 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,740,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And if safe it's the law in many states, including New York.
I don't care that it's the law. I just don't want to run people over.

Not even the police...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive