Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:49 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
The Appraisal itself was easy and harmless, and they came back with an offer $2,500 better than the next best one I had received (from the only interested private buyer).

I slept on the offer but am heavily considering taking it, as all other avenues have been fruitless.

That means you over-priced your car so all you attracted was a lowballer. It doesn't necessarily mean CarMax's offer is all that great.

Last edited by jaypee; 07-12-2015 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
I suspect that there are variations as to what is offered at the various CarMax franchises. I went there (this is a CarMax in Tucson AZ) for my 2011 Jeep Shara. Very comfortable dealing with those folks. They really do look over the vehicle carefully before releasing it to the customer. Got a call shortly after making the deal. CarMax changed the front window because of a crack they found when doing their final inspection.

I don't buy cars often. So, if not having any aggravation when buying a car has some value, then CarMax can be a good deal.

Rich

Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
I sold a Prius with 160k miles on it to CarMax. Their price was about $1000 under blue book for the vehicle in 'good' condition, but the seats in the back of the car were very stained from the kids--melted red crayon stains I could never get out. And I did not want to deal with a private buyer.

I did not want to trust someone taking the vehicle for a test drive and not returning or taking off with me in the vehicle and not returning me I am in an area where both have happened before, and the not returning with the vehicle seems to be coming more popular. Folks think that the person is leaving their car when they test drive your car, but actually it is just the vehicle they stole the week before that is now dented up and running low on gas.

So, scaredie that I am, I sold to CarMax and am glad that I did: worth losing some money to not pay for ads, deal with calls, deal with folks showing up, or not, folks wanting the car for less, etc. CarMax was easy.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:57 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
and they don't hire real car salesmen.....more like soccer moms and former appliance salesmen!
And this is another huge positive for most buyers.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:26 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Just wanted to mention to those asking if I am fishing here for the value of the vehicle I am trying to sell. I am not. I have bought and sold TONS of vehicles over the years, done my research, and am confident in my valuations, asking prices, options, and choices.

I was just posting about my impressions having never dealt with them before. I came away positive. They may be overpriced on some of the cars (or all of the cars) they are selling. I honestly could not say since I am not buying anything from them and have not been comparing their asking prices to other resources.

In my experience, there is not a dealer around who does not try and "mark up" a vehicle on their lot to maximize their profit, or try to offer as little as possible in trade. Although some tough haggling can certainly improve those deals at traditional dealers, it is not the norm for a customer to come in, and be able to stand firm enough to move a dealer thousands of dollars on a deal to net that difference. Essentially, there are many customers who are going to take less on trade than they should, and pay more on the retail side than they should.

Carmax is just removing the haggling from the equation, which can be a big selling point to those customers who hate the haggling aspect of it, and/or do not make out well with that end. I can see that as an attraction for many.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
and they don't hire real car salesmen.....more like soccer moms and former appliance salesmen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
And this is another huge positive for most buyers.
Darn, you beat me to it...but after a while even these folks may also become 'real car salesman'.

(New) car shopping today should include an option like buying on Amazon....if you are a 'Prime' customer free delivery in two days included. In a few more years when self driving cars are a reality, they will deliver themselves.

Isn't this what Tesla is moving to?

(Admittedly used cars are different...at least now)

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
We found a car "broker" in the Atlanta area who dealt with CarMax and others. He told us to see if they had anything we liked and he could get it for us for much less. That's something to consider.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 AM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Mine's a 2006 black Altima 2.5s in good condition with 50K miles. How much is it worth? Put your money right here: [ ].
I'm going to say $125.

Only because I have to put my money where my mouth is.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:36 AM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Just wanted to mention to those asking if I am fishing here for the value of the vehicle I am trying to sell. I am not. I have bought and sold TONS of vehicles over the years, done my research, and am confident in my valuations, asking prices, options, and choices.

I was just posting about my impressions having never dealt with them before. I came away positive. They may be overpriced on some of the cars (or all of the cars) they are selling. I honestly could not say since I am not buying anything from them and have not been comparing their asking prices to other resources.

In my experience, there is not a dealer around who does not try and "mark up" a vehicle on their lot to maximize their profit, or try to offer as little as possible in trade. Although some tough haggling can certainly improve those deals at traditional dealers, it is not the norm for a customer to come in, and be able to stand firm enough to move a dealer thousands of dollars on a deal to net that difference. Essentially, there are many customers who are going to take less on trade than they should, and pay more on the retail side than they should.

Carmax is just removing the haggling from the equation, which can be a big selling point to those customers who hate the haggling aspect of it, and/or do not make out well with that end. I can see that as an attraction for many.
There is a Nissan dealer in town who has a fairly decent selection of used cars at any given time (all makes). He charges $1000 "Loyalty Fee" in the fine print.

I'll just let everyone chew on that one for a minute.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times
Best car buying experience at dealers like this! In the past when I lived in NJ I used Carsense which is the same as CarMax but you are in and out. No negotiating, better interest rate than USAA, 2k more for my trade than any other dealer and the truck I bought was about $500 under blue book. These places are definitely laid back, and the best part is there isn't any stress. Theres no going back and forth, what you see is what you get. If you don't like the price, find a price you do like. I hear a lot of people giving these places a bad name but I have always had amazing experiences and the thought of going to a normal car dealership makes my skin crawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive