Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why would someone want their hideous looking car to last forever? If I were going to buy such a repulsive looking vehicle, I'd want it to die a quick, painless death ASAP
Thats the thing with Toyota owners... they buy these hideous appliances because they have no taste whatsoever. They dont care that theyre driving around cars that invoke gag reflexes in people who actually appreciate good design. They hate driving, and therefore dont care what the car looks like. They only like them if theyre "grounded to the ground". Remember that lame Toyota commercial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 01:26 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Toyota and Nissan are in the running for who can make the ugliest cars, apparently. I dont think either of the two manufacturers have produced any eye candy for almost a decade now. PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, some of it is rubbing off on Lexus. Those hideous grills are getting bigger.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:43 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,166,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
What I find funny is that the same amount of people (if not more) are complaining about manufacturers NOT doing anything different and making plain jane cars. Here they are doing something outside the box and they get criticized for it.
Distinctive is one thing.
Ghastly is quite another.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:13 PM

488 posts, read 815,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Unfortunately, some of it is rubbing off on Lexus. Those hideous grills are getting bigger.
You mean this idiotic spindle grill? I think it started with Lexus and is now being used on the Camry and even the Corolla. Maybe the huge grilles are needed to provide enough cooling for those super high performance Corolla engines

Acura's "beak" grill is just as stupid. I guess they slapped the plate on top of it to reduce airflow. Or maybe it was meant to stop bugs from collecting in the engine compartment.

Stupid design gimmicks like this undoubtedly hurt sales.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:17 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
You mean this idiotic spindle grill? I think it started with Lexus and is now being used on the Camry and even the Corolla. Maybe the huge grilles are needed to provide enough cooling for those super high performance Corolla engines

Acura's "beak" grill is just as stupid. I guess they slapped plate on top of it to reduce airflow. Or maybe it was meant to stop bugs from collecting in the engine compartment.

That version of the Acura beak actually isn't bad. It's the original version on the 4th generation TL that didn't get a warm reception:

Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Toyota and Nissan are in the running for who can make the ugliest cars, apparently. I dont think either of the two manufacturers have produced any eye candy for almost a decade now. PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!
This all comes down to personal opinion but from a visual perspective I'm a big fan of the Toyota/Scion FR-S and the Nissan GT-R. I also absolutely hated the Juke when it was released but over the years I've warmed up to it. It's not beautiful but funky in an oddly attractive way (IMO).

Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,865,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Because several of their designers left for competitors, most notably Peter Schreyer jumping ship to Kia in 2006. He single-handedly revived the Kia brand by giving their model lineup an attractive facelift.
Yes, and as a brand I think Kia's are the best looking mainstream maker (I don't own and have never even driven a Kia too).

Old 07-14-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Yes, and as a brand I think Kia's are the best looking mainstream maker (I don't own and have never even driven a Kia too).
Hyundai/KIA has benefited greatly with acquisitions of top talent from established luxury makes. Peter Shreyer who was Audi's head of design is one of them but there have been others in recent years like Albert Biermann who was head of BMW's M division and Luc Donckerwolke who was Bentley's head of design (both within the last 12 months).

Old 07-14-2015, 03:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,746,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post

Acura's "beak" grill is just as stupid. I guess they slapped the plate on top of it to reduce airflow. Or maybe it was meant to stop bugs from collecting in the engine compartment.

Stupid big grills hasn't hurt sales of America's #1 best selling vehicle. This thing looks like it should be a transformer.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Stupid big grills hasn't hurt sales of America's #1 best selling vehicle. This thing looks like it should be a transformer.
I never noticed how tacky the grille looks on the new F150 until now. I admit I don't stare at them too long but man that thing is ugly.

Chevrolet did it better:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive