Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
In the winter time your TPMS might come on untill the tires warm up.
In this case, they are under-inflated. As noted, they should be filled to the correct pressure at ambient air temperature without driving. So, in the winter, you'll need to add air so that they are the proper temperature without warm up. Obviously, no one is going to add/subtract air ever day, and in the example given by Vannort where it is 50 degrees one morning and -5 the next, you would get the light on the -5 day, but you should make seasonable adjustments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
The door sticker is for the cheapo factory tires. You should alway inflate to the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure, which is usually higher than the car maker's cut rate tire pressure.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:21 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The door sticker is for the cheapo factory tires. You should alway inflate to the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure, which is usually higher than the car maker's cut rate tire pressure.
So, in your opinion, what should I have inflated the tires to on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I used to have, that came from the factory with Load Range E tires?
The Jeep sticker said 33 PSI.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:29 PM

76 posts, read 92,655 times
Thanks for the replies.

Based on my readings this morning all 4 of my tires are slightly under-inflated ranging from 2-5 psi.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is correct semantically only. Almost every tire manufacturer (other than some specialty tires) recommendation is to use the door sticker for stock sizes. If you change the size of the tire, the reccomendation changes by tire size (not tire manufacturer). What the tire manufacturer tells you (on the sidewall) is the maximum safe inflation that you should not exceed. This is not the recommended pressure. You can find the above information confirmed on any reputable tire manufacturers web site or manual. Again, specialty tires (off road, racing etc....) may be different, but otherwise you should be using the door/owner's manual.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 PM

348 posts, read 830,946 times
Cold tire pressure refers to the pressure when the tire is cold, which means at the ambient air temperatures. It doesn't mean cold as if the tire feels cold, but cold as opposed to being hot due to running. The ambient air temperature is as cold as the tires can get sitting outside. Ambient temperature changes, so it's best to measure in the morning at the lowest temperature. If you have a heated or cooled garage, you should measure the pressure at outside temperatures, since those are the temperatures at which the tires run on the road.

The maximum pressure given on the tire sidewall is the maximum, not the recommended. The tire manufacturer does not know what vehicle each tire will be put on, so they can't give a pressure recommendation, since that's based on the tire/vehicle combination. The vehicle manufacturer knows its vehicle and specifies certain tires, so they give the pressure recommendation. The only reason to be concerned with the pressure limit on the tire is that it needs to be at least, and preferably above, the pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

Tire pressure naturally drops when temperatures cool, but pressure also drops due to use. All tires leak, most very slowly. As the rubber flexes when the tires turn, air molecules slip through. The rubber is not the solid wall it looks like, but under a microscope actually looks like strands of spaghetti. The strands move around as the tire turns, and air molecules slip through. This effect, however, is very small. In my experience, adding air in winter to counter colder temperatures and maybe once or twice per year besides will compensate for the small leakage. I drive a lot, so this natural leakage may be more for me than for those who drive less.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, in your opinion, what should I have inflated the tires to on the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I used to have, that came from the factory with Load Range E tires?
The Jeep sticker said 33 PSI.
Did you read the owner's manual? My Grand Cherokee specified minimum tire size and load range C for towing, with a recommended inflation of 55 PSI, the same number that is marked on the typical load range C tire. The Rubicon is a light duty puddle jumper, so load range E tires were silly. I bet it was jacked to the point of being a rollover hazard too.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:21 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
When checking your tire pressure considering buying something better than a pencil gauge.

I was using a pencil gauge when I was enjoying my motorcycle at the race track. I checked the pressure and it was good. I got on the track and instantly knew something was very wrong with the bike. Got to the pits and borrowed a nice gauge made by Quick Car. The pencil gauge was wrong and I over inflated my tires by about 12 psi.

I got a quality gauge and it has been with me for years.

Products - Tire Gauges - Quickcar Racing Products

Old 07-16-2015, 05:28 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
In the winter time your TPMS might come on untill the tires warm up.
Or the summer, spring, or fall.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
All tires leak, most very slowly. As the rubber flexes when the tires turn, air molecules slip through. The rubber is not the solid wall it looks like, but under a microscope actually looks like strands of spaghetti. The strands move around as the tire turns, and air molecules slip through. This effect, however, is very small. In my experience, adding air in winter to counter colder temperatures and maybe once or twice per year besides will compensate for the small leakage. I drive a lot, so this natural leakage may be more for me than for those who drive less.
No they don't. The only places they can leak is at the bead, where they contact the rim, and at the valve stem. I was in Automotive for 40 years, and tires do not leak through their walls, unless punctured.

The "strands" you speak of, or "Belts" in a tire, are molded in rubber casings, that do not leak. or pass air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive