Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:32 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times

Advertisements

I like certain GM products on the surface (like the C7 Corvette for instance) but I wouldn't own any of these death traps. GM has shown time and time again that they don't care about consumers. Here is the latest recall which GM has known about for years but refused to issue until they were essentialy forced to do so by the NHTSA:

GM Didn't Recall The Hummer Over Fires Until The Feds Threatened Them

GM doesn't even pretend to care about your life. The ignition switch issue has been the most public but its a widespread issue within GM and calling it "NEW" GM doesn't make a difference outside of selfishly limiting their liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
People are free to buy anything that they like. If they want to buy garbage - fine!
The thread title and original post ask for rebuttal.
GM makes unreliable garbage.
Fact.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
People are free to buy anything that they like. If they want to buy garbage - fine!
The thread title and original post ask for rebuttal.
GM makes unreliable garbage.
Fact.
And poor handling compared to Honda.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Poor handling of what? I would never spend my own money on a GM car but even I can admit a Corvette has better handling than anything Honda currently offers for sale. When making comparisons it's important to be specific. Now if I was shopping for a cookie cutter midsize sedan then yeah I'd choose the 2015 Hyundai Sonata first with the current generation Honda Accord being a close 2nd.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Being from a General Motors Family I have always purchased GM Vehicles.

However, way back in the 80's while living in Orange County, California, I succumbed to making a "snooty" impression and purchased a new Mercedes Benz. WOW, what a mistake that was.

Considering I usually maintain a vehicle for at least ten years plus, after about two years of Mercedes Grief and BS, I finally "dumped" the POS and went back to GM vowing NEVER AGAIN.

It has been decades now and while money is no longer a major issue, my loyalty and respect stays with GM. As far as I am concerned, "Cookie Cutter Vehicles" with high after warranty maintenance costs are for someone else . . . NOT ME.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
That's a pretty funny joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I would never spend my own money on a GM car but even I can admit a Corvette has better handling than anything Honda currently offers for sale.
No need to go that far up the GM food chain. A Cadillac ATS could take 'em on, no problem.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I guess they do make cars so good that they had to be bailed out by taxpayers? Last I checked, companies that actually do make quality cars do NOT need to be bailed out, right?
Look at Bummer's post. It's quintessence of the entire thread. Patriotism. Family habits running through generations, back from time when there was GM, Ford and technically nothing else for common folk. You grow in this, it soaks into you. Then "minor" problems do not precipitate. Price. They are cheaper. Sure. You always get what you paid for.
GM is changing? Sure. Takes 40 to 50 years to work out new generation of designers and thinkers to actually really change a product. The only manufacturer right now that changed something is Elon Musk. Hated so furiously as the result.
Also, there is thing called statistics. Objectively, statistically speaking, years of GM being an exmple of quality are gone gone and no return is looming on horizon. Please, do me a favor and do not point at "initial quality" reviews. Those are meaningless. Look at long term reviews. Find me at least one that has GM cars topping it.
Best. Yes, people have right to buy junk. Also, as John Carrie said - people have rtight to be dumb. I can only applaud.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I guess they do make cars so good that they had to be bailed out by taxpayers? Last I checked, companies that actually do make quality cars do NOT need to be bailed out, right?
Look at Bummer's post. It's quintessence of the entire thread. Patriotism. Family habits running through generations, back from time when there was GM, Ford and technically nothing else for common folk. You grow in this, it soaks into you. Then "minor" problems do not precipitate. Price. They are cheaper. Sure. You always get what you paid for.
GM is changing? Sure. Takes 40 to 50 years to work out new generation of designers and thinkers to actually really change a product. The only manufacturer right now that changed something is Elon Musk. Hated so furiously as the result.
Also, there is thing called statistics. Objectively, statistically speaking, years of GM being an exmple of quality are gone gone and no return is looming on horizon. Please, do me a favor and do not point at "initial quality" reviews. Those are meaningless. Look at long term reviews. Find me at least one that has GM cars topping it.
Best. Yes, people have right to buy junk. Also, as John Carrie said - people have rtight to be dumb. I can only applaud.
And what about wallstreet bailout and the big banks bailout nobody talks about them it's always the auto companies not the ones that started the depression we are still recovering from. The banks are still screwing up and I don't here a peep from people about that. But the auto bailout god forbid that was wrong right? But it's always the middle class that catches all the crap anyway. Did the banks get rid of their ceo's like GM did. I still see that Jp Morgan chase still has their CEO and are still giving big bonus to there execs. The banks are more responsible for the economy than GM and Chrysler its the big banks fault that people stoped buying cars. They messed up so millions lost their homes and jobs. But still it's all GM's fault right give it a rest people jobs were saved and now GM is creating jobs. Sorry if you all hate unions but they have been around longer than most of you were even born. And if you had to work for Ford and GM back before there was a union you would have a better understanding why the UAW was formed. The union has not stoped the CEO's of the big 3 from getting their multi million paycheck but god forbid a person working on the assembly line should not get paid a living wage, while the board members get millions. Also how has the auto bailout effected you personally are the taking money out of you paycheck that says this is to pay for the auto bailout, are they taking money from your tax return to put twords the bailout, I don't think so and then why do you always say the taxpayers when it dose not change anything in you day to day living. But giv the big banks a pat on there backs and say goo job.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:48 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Ive owned 4 GM cars and have one right now and typically my luck is, after the 4th or 5th year, troubles start occurring and I go pretty easy on cars.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 Manual Long-Term Test Update – Reviews – Car and Driver

Quote:
Our particular Stingray coupe has been a fickle beast (see our previous updates), and the cold temperatures only served to exacerbate the issues. There’s never a good time for a car’s heating-and-cooling system to conk out, but that’s what our Corvette’s did at about 24,000 miles in the middle of January. The dealer first reflashed the HVAC system’s computer to no avail, and the car eventually required a new control unit to be ordered and installed under warranty, a lengthy process that necessitated taking apart most of the dash.

Shortly thereafter, the rear-axle seals also needed replacing because they were leaking fluid all over the Stingray’s rear subframe—a worrying problem that we noticed only because we had the car on a lift to inspect a loose, dripping oil filter after a recent service visit. Chevrolet says the axle seals in early Stingrays such as ours weren’t fully optimized for the cold weather we were operating our car in but have since been addressed on later models. GM engineers quickly brought out the upgraded seals for the dealer to install, and the seals appear to have held through the rest of the winter. Other warranty fixes performed during this period included replacing the driver’s seat cover after the old one was damaged while replacing the side airbag under a recall, along with correcting a faulty fuel-filler component under another recall.

Considering the crummy weather and the Stingray’s very real tendency to break down, drivers have become reluctant to take the Corvette far and wide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive