Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,024,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was caught after the fact doing it years ago by some sheriffs deputies. I was coming home from visiting a friend at about midnight and I had to go suddenly. It was a rural road with no homes for a mile and I pulled off at a road construction area. I had just finished up when they rolled by and stopped. They asked me what I was doing and I told them as evidenced by the wet spot on the pavement.

They started talking "indecent exposure" and other nonsense and searched my car (without asking). They finally let me leave with a verbal warning. Of course those idiots do the same thing when they are out on patrol. There are few public bathrooms in my area open at midnight; where do they pee?
It can't be "indecent exposure" if there was no one to see you. The search of the car is certainly questionable...but if you are in a deserted area, alone, and not on equal footing with the cops (meaning that you have the knowledge, means and ability to defend yourself against violations of your rights) there isn't much you can do about it.

To those who insist one can "plan" for every occurrence, well, it isn't always possible. Sometimes you just gotta go and that's the way it is. I've got a lot of miles logged on the road and sometimes stuff happens.

More rest stops everywhere? Here in ME I know of at least one rest stop that has been closed and entry prohibited. Here and other places throughout the country there often are no "facilities" handy when you need them.

The Law: I haven't seen them all, but the ones I *have* seen usually make common sense exceptions for emergencies- typically with the caveat that one at least makes an *attempt* at concealment, even if it's just turning your back to any casual observers. (Quite frankly, any LEO that tries to roust *me* for taking an emergency leak somewhere is going to have more to worry about than me just taking a leak. The older I get, the less tolerance I have for them being unprintable unprintables.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 02:40 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You've been supporting the idea that being trapped in a blizzard is not an emergency and is a usual occurrence for several posts:
In none of my posts, except as I explained, have I said that a blizzard is an emergency or not. Read them again.

I have already explained that what constitutes "an emergency" in relation to a snow blizzard is not the blizzard itself, simply because in some parts of the country snow blizzards happen all the time.

Again, what constitute a possible emergency relating to a blizzard is getting caught in one. In this case, the blizzard could turn into an emergency to the person in the middle of it. Blizzards can happen at a moments notice when hunting, driving, hiking, and the rest, and can turn into an emergency if you cannot get out of there and your life is at risk (like not finding shelter, not being able to find a safe place, and so on). But lets say that I am hunting in Alaska and all of the sudden I encounter a snow blizzard while by my campsite, in this case the blizzard is not an emergency to me since I just stay safe in my campsite where I have food and shelter, and the company of friends.

Another example: out in the wilderness a snow blizzard takes place. There is nobody around, no homes, no people, nothing... how can that blizzard be an emergency?

It's so simple to understand that all I can do is to scratch my head.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-19-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,429,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I've seen men stop by the side of the highway here and pee. So, let me give you guys a little advice. Don't watch yourself. If you're facing the woods there's no reason to see where you're aiming. It's like a tell tale giveaway that a guy is peeing. He stands there not moving and looking down at his weewee. Just look off into the distance and people won't suspect anything. They'll think you're looking at a deer or something.
Better yet, take your camera along and act like you're photographing tree-top birds. Just be prepared for a wet foot.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,446,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Take a few more steps and find some trees.

Tourian is right. Good grief. Find a bush. Go behind. "When you gotta go, you gotta go."

Old 07-19-2015, 07:27 PM

986 posts, read 2,496,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Anyone ever do this? In some countries it is perfectly legal. I wonder is there are any US states where it's permissible to drain the ole lizard if the urge hits? I would think if your were discrete you wouldn't have any problems. However, I also heard of a man who had to register as a sex offender for getting caught in this simple act.
I'm surprised this is a serious question. It's just a part of nature. Truck drivers and long distance drivers do it all the time. Trickier for women, of course - less discrete. I see no moral problem if you do it on soil where the microbes break it down. Leaking on pavement is what gives some urban areas a nasty stench. It's all in the context.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,248,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I think most of us have done that once or twice, just make sure to be out of sight, in the trees, or at least blocked by the car and wait for any traffic to go by. Here the law is "Public Urination" and in Seattle the fine is $277, made low and mild to help the homeless population. In Yakima, it's up to $250 and/or 10 days in jail. The state law 9.02.320 provides for a fine of $250. If a policeman observes you it's not likely that you will get off in court.
Ah, the great independent Northwest. Land of stalwart men afraid to pee.

A veritable feminist paradise.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:56 PM

8,082 posts, read 6,692,876 times
I keep a very deep wide mouth bottle in my car for such occasions.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,754,292 times
I don't believe I was responding to a "usually vs. emergencies" statement. I may have missed that word.

With regard to "planning better" about which TexasLawyer seems to be fixated, there was absolutely no way to plan better than we did. Concert at 8:00p in Flagstaff. We leave Las Vegas at 9:00a. They were calling for 1" of snow en route, and it is normally a 3.5 hour drive, so we gave ourselves an extra 7.5 hours, as we know that most residents in the SouthWest are not accustomed to driving in flurries.

We pull onto I-40 East, drive approx. 20 miles, and traffic comes to a halt. Evidently the road became icy, and 2 tractor trailers jack-knifed going up a hill. They sent the ONE plow that Arizona has in that area, and it slid off the road into a ditch. As there was not another plow to rescue the crashed one, they then closed the freeway in both directions until the next day.

There are many comments about finding trees, rest areas, etc. Those comments aren't applicable, as there are no trees in that part of AZ, just some scrub brush, nor was their access to any rest areas.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:46 AM

197 posts, read 277,677 times
This discussion reminds of the musical 'Urinetown'.

Maybe we need legislation on when, where and why urination is allowed. The police should be asking for your wee license. Or Class 1 license for wee-wee, and Class 2 for a Number 2. A fee will be charged and a medical professional will have to list your officially approved reason. Otherwise you are guilty of 'Unlawful Bowel Evacuation'.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
...You are stupid to do it right on the side of the road go down into the woods or somewhere that you will not be seen, only butt heads do it right on the side of the road....
Try going into the woods or behind a bush when you're driving through the plains or desert. It'll be a long hike! YOU are stupid to think woods are so easily found. I commonly drive 300-400 miles per day for my work. Seeing a tree or bush anywhere on the roadside is very rare (like never). Distances between restrooms are typically 70-100 miles. That's not normally a problem for me, but there have been times.

It used to be easy when I was driving a pickup truck with suicide doors on it. Now I drive a Prius, and it's too low to hide what I'm doing. Also, out here we have to be mindful of the wind. There's an old song that warns you not to spit into the wind (nor mess around with Jim). I can tell you there's something else you don't want to attempt into the wind, at least not into Wyoming wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive