Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM

40 posts, read 38,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoeater View Post
1) Driving incredibly slow, and subsequently changing lanes incredibly slowly, does not mean you are driving safely. It is proper to accelerate into a lane change.

2) putting on your turn single for 0.00002 seconds after 90% of your vehicle has already changed lanes (slowly) is not an acceptable manner in which to indicate that you are changing lanes. You may as well not put the signal on at all if this is your tactic.

I hope this PSA was helpful.

Your pal,

Tacoeater
You sure you're not watching a stoner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 11:47 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OH LORD, I wish you'd have been in my car yesterday. I was two cars behind someone at a left turn green arrow signal that led to a major highway. The light turns. I wait. I wait. That green arrow is only going to be there a few seconds more. I'm in my car alone, saying out loud, "You can go now..." and ever so slowly, the driver begins to turn and I see it's some old woman who can barely see over the steering wheel...I'm saying, "Yes, that's it, now just push down a little bit harder on that pedal and we can ALL get through this light." Followed her down the ramp, at the bottom of which she comes to a dead stop. Just stops. Bottom of a long ramp leading to a busy highway. STOPS. DEAD.

Finally, she inched up enough that the car behind her and my car could get around her and get onto the highway and be gone. For all I know, she's still there.
At least she stopped at the bottom.

I've seen people stop at the top of an on ramp and try and wait for a gap in traffic more than once. Unless you're getting on the bridge from Treasure Island or something weird there's no god damn stop/yield sign on an on-ramp.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:38 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
oh lord, i wish you'd have been in my car yesterday. I was two cars behind someone at a left turn green arrow signal that led to a major highway. The light turns. I wait. I wait. That green arrow is only going to be there a few seconds more. I'm in my car alone, saying out loud, "you can go now..." and ever so slowly, the driver begins to turn and i see it's some old woman who can barely see over the steering wheel...i'm saying, "yes, that's it, now just push down a little bit harder on that pedal and we can all get through this light." followed her down the ramp, at the bottom of which she comes to a dead stop. Just stops. Bottom of a long ramp leading to a busy highway. Stops. Dead.

Finally, she inched up enough that the car behind her and my car could get around her and get onto the highway and be gone. for all i know, she's still there.
lol.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I gotta tell you of an incident that I had about two months ago.
To begin, I am 76, so that qualifies me as an elderly driver.
My Corvette is an awesome, moving machine, and I certainly know when it's ok to put the pedal to the metal, and I also know when it it wise to obey the speed limit.

I had occasion one morning to be driving to the market, in a 35 mile posted speed limit.
There was no one in front of me, but a traffic light 100' ahead.
This stupid gal (perhaps mid twenties) was right on my tail, honking her horn.
She was extremely agitated because I was doing 30mph, and she wanted me to speed up.
She swerved to pass me on the right, and her horn blaring constantly.
We both had to stop at the light.
She rolled down her window and started cursing saying "drive that car like it is supposed to be driven, your're an a**hole".

I politely replied, " I waIfnt any lip from you, I'LL scrape it off my d**k"
With that she gave me the finger, and proceeded through the red light.
A posted speed limit does not mean one must travel at that speed, but I think many drivers think that is exactly what the sign means.

I would love to see that b***h on a freeway early some Sunday morning, and give her a lesson in where, and what speed is all about.

Bob.

She accepted your offer when she flipped you off.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Yeh...I'm sure it's REALLY funny laughing at people who still have to work and deal with traffic that you didn't have when YOU were working.

You are the problem. Because it seems retired people completely forget that the rest of the world still has to work. It's inconsiderate to drive like a slug while you know full well others still have to rush around.

Get up an hour earlier and leave when you should. This applies to any aspect of life when you take your car out as you most likely have the same POV at all times.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Their insurance rates are lower because seniors comprise one hell of a voting block at the polls, that's why. Also political correctness.
Where/how does PC come into the picture?

Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
To the OP - have you ever heard the song , "Blue Hairs Driving in my Lane" ? It's pretty funny and true !

It's a take-off on Willie Nelson's Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain.

I tried to get the youtube link to work, but couldn't . Just google the song and you'll be able to hear it. Enjoy !

Last edited by Nodpete; 07-20-2015 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This may not be a popular thing to say but older people are not much better than young drivers. Young drivers don't pay attention, text and drive way to fast and aggressive. Just being near one on the road makes your realize one of them could help you to an early grave. They are likely worse than old people, but not by much.

Old people cant see, cannot react or judge distance well. This explains why they pull out in front of you, drive 15 under the limit and weave all over the road. Even worse many of them have that "im old ill do whatever I darned well want" attitude. When you come up on grandma going 35 in her Grand Marquis in a 55 zone you sit and wait for that young kid speeding and texting to come up behind you. You hope in between texting her bff and fixing her hair she looks up and sees you trapped behind grandma.

What is so terrifying about driving in Florida is all those old people on the road with all the young kids who went down there to find themselves. Grandpa may not be able to see anymore, but he is on the same road as little Johnny who moved down there to find himself and party. He is on drugs and going 95 mph on the same road as grandpa doing 35. Florida is the most terrifying place in America to drive Henry Fords crazy contraption.

It's a wonder they find their ways out of the house, stick the key in the door to lock it, another to unlock the car and then put the key into the ignition. How in the hell can they put gas in the car? It's a miracle these people are even breathing, right?

As for your 1st world woes I suggest you park it, ride a bus, taxi or walk until you get over your anger issues.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Keyword limit, meaning you don't have to drive at the limit, which is why your post makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense... To a 'Murican with entitlement syndrome and a passive-aggressive sociopath personality.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It's a wonder they find their ways out of the house, stick the key in the door to lock it, another to unlock the car and then put the key into the ignition. How in the hell can they put gas in the car? It's a miracle these people are even breathing, right?

As for your 1st world woes I suggest you park it, ride a bus, taxi or walk until you get over your anger issues.

Park it?? yea I don't think so, and it is you who seem angry here not me. What I pointed out is true, older people are irritatingly slow and make a lot of dangerous driving moves. I don't understand how anyone cannot acknowledge this as a fact considering we all see the same things on the road. For some reason this is a touchy subject even though we all will be in that situation one day if the Lord grants us a full life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive