Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
There are times I don't turn right on red. Why? Because someone in a large truck or SUV has pulled up to the edge of the road blocking my view of oncoming traffic. Another reason is buildings or vegetation blocking my view of oncoming traffic. If I can't see that the way is clear then I'm not turning. You behind me can see but I can't. Right on red isn't a requirement. It's legal to turn right on red, it's not illegal to NOT turn right on right on red.
This is my pet peeve...I have the option to turn right on red, but the person to my left certainly has NO option but to wait until the light is green. So why does he pull up halfway out into the intersection so I can't see anything?! He's stuck, and now he's made me stuck as well. And everyone can say "be patient" but lights around where I live don't cycle in 30 seconds...try 2-3 minutes at some. If I can legally turn, then I WANT TO TURN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Red light at an intersection with a RLC- In my area, 40% of revenue is from right turn violations. Here's how they make their money. Paint the white line well back from the actual 'corner'. Even if driver stops and I mean wheels not turning, BUT passed the white line, automatic fine in the mail [$158]. To not get a notice, you must stop twice. Once before the white line and then at the actual corner to view for traffic.
You can probably just stop once, but you'd need to stop not in the middle of the intersection. The lights here you can roll through at 2-3 mph without stopping and you're fine. I just figured they didn't work for the longest time at all, but one day I saw a car get caught when it basically just drove through the red light at around 20 mph. I'm not sure where the actual threshold is. I just stop where I'm supposed to and then roll forward. If it's clear I go, if it's not I stop and wait until it is.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Another thing is I may be making a right turn onto a divided highway that has 2 lanes going each way. If there are cars in the far (passing) lane but the near one ( lane which I would be turning onto) is empty, I am NOT going to turn. I'll have someone behind me honking away but He can do that all he wants. His honking the horn is NOT going to make me risk my and anybody elses property or life so he can get going. You never know if one of those cars in the fast lane is going to merge into the lane you are wanting to turn in. That is pretty much the same reason I (if traveling on a multy-lane road) will not merge into another lane while going through an intersection!

Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Red light at an intersection with a RLC- In my area, 40% of revenue is from right turn violations. Here's how they make their money. Paint the white line well back from the actual 'corner'. Even if driver stops and I mean wheels not turning, BUT passed the white line, automatic fine in the mail [$158]. To not get a notice, you must stop twice. Once before the white line and then at the actual corner to view for traffic.
You can probably just stop once, but you'd need to stop not in the middle of the intersection. The lights here you can roll through at 2-3 mph without stopping and you're fine. I just figured they didn't work for the longest time at all, but one day I saw a car get caught when it basically just drove through the red light at around 20 mph. I'm not sure where the actual threshold is. I just stop where I'm supposed to and then roll forward. If it's clear I go, if it's not I stop and wait until it is.

They have video so if I ever got a red light ticket on a right turn on red, I'd ask to see it. If I ran the light, fine. If I stopped before the white line, I'd fight it and win. Never had it happen. Occasionally the cameras are malfunctioning and going crazy and they either toss all those tickets or review and toss the ones that weren't running the red.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
If there's too much going on (lots of foot traffic, people making said u-turns, and traffic coming from the left) I sometimes don't even try. I'm not going to inch out to see around the SUV on my left, block the crosswalk in the process, and deal with an angry pedestrian just because some guy behind me wants me to turn on red.

Separately, I've had people honk at me--both during red and green lights while waiting to turn red--because they don't see the pedestrian that I'm allowing to cross. I'd imagine they usually feel silly afterwards.

I don't imagine they do feel silly. They are just aggravated because the pedestrian got in their way.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
I've had impatient idiots honk at me when I don't turn on red. I then point at the large sign that says no turn on red. They usually slump in their seat.
I've seen those signs that say no turn on red from 3pm-6pm and idiots will not turn on red when it is outside of that timeframe.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:52 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Another problem I encounter is narrow 4 lane roads (2 lanes east & 2 lanes west). Though the right lane is clear, I can't turn right safely without crossing into the left lane traffic due to road and intersection design.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
If I'm second in line in the right lane at a light and I want to turn right, and the person in front of me is going straight, I should legally be allowed to kill that person.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM

145 posts, read 167,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If I'm second in line in the right lane at a light and I want to turn right, and the person in front of me is going straight, I should legally be allowed to kill that person.
Egad, what a childish thing to say. The attitude represented there is that YOU are the only one who has a right to be on the streets. Guess what, the rest of us with a drivers license has a right to be on the road too. Oh, and if you're behind me and don't like it, tfb. I too enjoy watching people have a meltdown in my rear view mirror. You want to be in front of me, get on the road before I do.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:16 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That right lane I'm in might just continue across the intersection and my destination just might require me to make a right turn after going through the intersection. So, once again, your going to wait till the light turns green for me to continue on. Deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive