Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not a fan of chrome as much as I love Stainless Steel

When a brought home my 75 year old 1930 Model A Ford... a little time buffing the stainless and it was as good as new... truelove amazing as this was on a very low priced American made car in the Depression Era.
Yeah I'm partial to polished metal over a chrome coating. I think it looks better and easier to maintain. Chrome belongs on my grandpa's car. I feel the same way about wheels as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Now that, to me, makes a world of difference on the Camry. Automakers go through so much to change the style of the body, to make everything so much more sleek and "sporty", even on non-sports car trims, but then you look at the exhaust and it's a plain Jane, dirty, cheap looking exhaust system. I realize not every automaker is like this, and I'm not saying that it all has to be authentic chrome or use the same system as some supped up muscle car, but from the "looks" point of view, just seems like if an automaker is going to pay attention to detail, well, exhaust pipes are often visible on most cars, so why not top off the looks with a nice looking chrome (or chrome like) exhaust pipe? I just happened to notice it on the Camrys I saw the last couple of days, but I've also noticed it on some other vehicles as well. Such as a late model Sentra I saw today. Looked to be a 2014. It had the fancy LED lights around the tail lights and the headlights, nice chrome trim on the door handles and so forth, but the exhaust pipe was a small dark looking pipe that looked cheap. I guess I can understand if the Nissan was just trying to hide the exhaust system altogether. I guess it's just something I've always paid attention to. There are just certain things that seem to top off the looks of a car in my opinion, and often times the exhaust system is not one they pay much attention to.

How clean are your windows on the inside?

Speaking on my own behalf, unless you are going to put ceramic coated headers and a full stainless steel exhaust system on the car a chrome tip is not going to do anything. Look nice? Some of the best looking cars in the world have plain pipes.
Chrome eventually rusts and an exhaust tip is no stranger to that phenomenon...in fact, it's commonplace.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Why is it that a car maker will go through the trouble of having a "luxury" trim on a particular model car, will meticulously make the body style attractive, the wheels nice, the interior comfortable and nice with loads of electronic features, but then ignore the looks of their exhaust?

I happened to notice a late model Camry today. It was really nice looking, it was the luxury trim. Nice wheels, the who nine yards. But the exhaust system looked horrible. It was right next to an old beater, and both exhaust pipes looked exactly the same! I realize these pipes don't last forever, but you'd think that if these car makers go through the trouble of making their car look "expensive", they would pay more attention to the exhaust and at least maybe put some chrome tips on them. Am I being stupid or do other people notice this too?

Because the Camry isn't exactly a performance-oriented vehicle. You want to put a chrome exhaust tip on your Camry? They're available at every auto parts store in the country, for cheap.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
I didn't say none of the automakers ignore the exhaust system, but many do, especially in their trims that are not considered "sport" trim.

It adds horsepower.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:38 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It adds horsepower.
So does the big spoiler wing, and all the stickers.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because the Camry isn't exactly a performance-oriented vehicle. You want to put a chrome exhaust tip on your Camry? They're available at every auto parts store in the country, for cheap.
I don't own a Camry.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
How clean are your windows on the inside?

Speaking on my own behalf, unless you are going to put ceramic coated headers and a full stainless steel exhaust system on the car a chrome tip is not going to do anything. Look nice? Some of the best looking cars in the world have plain pipes.
Chrome eventually rusts and an exhaust tip is no stranger to that phenomenon...in fact, it's commonplace.
What does my windows have to do with anything?

I'm just giving out my opinion. If you think a plain, rusty looking exhaust pipe looks better than a chrome one, so be it. I don't agree though.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
OEM option on my vehicle ...back in 1971!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:58 AM

308 posts, read 498,823 times
It's because the average everyday consumer could care less. Or wouldn't even notice.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Folks...the Camry does come available with shiny exhaust tips. I don't know how the Camry is when fully optioned but if its anything like the current Accord, then it qualifies for entry level luxury status. A fully optioned Accord is a nicer place to be than the Mercedes CLA which is pretty awful all around for anything with a Mercedes badge. It's also nicer than the Acura ILX.

I should mention that I don't particularly care for the Camry. I think the 2015 model is pretty hideous but in terms of feature set and feel todays fully optioned midsize cars are good candidates for entry level luxury cars. The same can be said for todays fully optioned trucks as well.

People need to learn to detach themselves from what marketing departments and their brands want you to think. In the entry level luxury area there is a ton of overlap between everyday and luxury brands. Makes like Hyundai have the second generation Genesis Sedan which is in E class territory and the upcoming second generation Equus which will be a huge improvement on the already great first generation Equus, sits above the E class in terms of features and comfort.

I'm not saying a fully optioned Camry/Accord is equivalent to an E class but its a worthy alternative to entry level options from Acura, Mercedes, Lincoln, Audi, BMW, etc.
You can slap lipstick on a pig but it does not change the fact that it is just a pig with lipstick.

You can place all the gadgets you want on a Camry or an Accord (I own a 2011 Accord) That does not make it a luxury car. I don't know too many people that would consider the CLA a luxury car either. I don't think the C class is luxury.

What I look for is what will be hot 20 or more years from now. If you take most of these pretend luxury cars and put a few years on them the world turns on them and they just become old cars. As a new car they are nice. They feel good, they may even look good. I just don't see them meeting the mark in 5 years. They are discarded. My neighbor has a Mercedes 2 door convertable she is selling. It is a beautiful car. It is also 30 plus years old. I would love to buy it off of her but it does not fit in my garage at this time. Besides that I am on the hunt for a specific project to build. I see this Mercedes as being the car to have 30 years from now.

With a camry with lipstick or many other cars, A Hyunday Genesis, Acura, the entire C class, I just don't see that happening. They don't have the staying power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive