Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,789,628 times

Advertisements

Interesting cause I had the opposite experience a couple weeks ago though I was shopping by phone. I called 4 dealers for price quotes. I knew what I wanted but just wanted to get the best price. Well 1 dealer took so long to get me an initial quote I had already gotten the car. The other 3 gave me quotes and the one which was best I ended up with but I have never heard from the other 2 dealers. It has been 2 weeks.
I actually complained to the one who took so long to get back to me cause the first person I had spoken to there was so rude and clueless. When I complained I said how they missed out on such an easy sale. I mean I did not even test drive it. I called one day in the afternoon and came in the next day and got the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 AM

321 posts, read 414,325 times
Another "trick of the trade" is saying you opt-out of all communications when you're on the phone with them. Make sure to say ALL communication, this includes e-mail and snail mail.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,318,609 times
Is it too difficult for you to answer the phone like a grownup and say I'm no longer interested, please stop contacting me.

I mean really? You needed to consult the Internet on how to get them to stop calling when you haven't even told them to stop calling.

Be an adult and tell them to leave you alone.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Exactly.

1} they sometimes even get a copy of your D/L so they can run a pre-credit on you while you are out galavanting in a test drive-even though you may not have authorized it...
How is that possible? Wouldn't they need your ss#?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:52 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,267,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I went to a dealer last week to look at a car that was advertised. I sent their internet rep an email and she said they just received the car and it's in the shop as they get it ready. I go in the evening and the car is on the lot but it's a different color than what they advertised.

While I was there, I test drove a couple of cars but was not interested in either (one had too many miles and the other was the wrong color).

So now they apparently have the same color car that was advertised on their site. The salesperson has called me three days in a row and left a message.

First question, do dealers normally gather your personal info as soon as you hit the lot? When I arrived, the salesman couldn't wait to get me inside to get my name, number, address, etc. Unfortunately I didn't have my Google voice number memorized so I gave him my regular #. Next question, I changed my mind and want a different model vehicle so I am not interested in the vehicle he is calling about. Should I call him back or just let him keep leaving messages until he gets tired of it?
just tell them you already bought a car....

Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
How is that possible? Wouldn't they need your ss#?
Yes, they would need a SSN. They get a copy of your license in case you test drive cars. That is standard practice at every respectable dealership.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Is it too difficult for you to answer the phone like a grownup and say I'm no longer interested, please stop contacting me.

I mean really? You needed to consult the Internet on how to get them to stop calling when you haven't even told them to stop calling.

Be an adult and tell them to leave you alone.
I think people try to be too nice now adays and dont want to hurt a pushy person feelings, rather than jus say , aint interested, dont call me again unless I say so. Some dealers act like telemarketers, in which if you say no, they have to convince you otherwise.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:01 PM

892 posts, read 1,487,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Interesting cause I had the opposite experience a couple weeks ago though I was shopping by phone. I called 4 dealers for price quotes. I knew what I wanted but just wanted to get the best price. Well 1 dealer took so long to get me an initial quote I had already gotten the car. The other 3 gave me quotes and the one which was best I ended up with but I have never heard from the other 2 dealers. It has been 2 weeks.
I actually complained to the one who took so long to get back to me cause the first person I had spoken to there was so rude and clueless. When I complained I said how they missed out on such an easy sale. I mean I did not even test drive it. I called one day in the afternoon and came in the next day and got the car.
I had a similar experience about 15 years ago at a dealership.

I still remember specifically wanting a Neon ACR, BAD (Looking back on it, I'm actually kind of glad I ended up not getting it, lol). At the time, I lived in a small town, with a local Chrysler/Dodge dealer, and I wanted to keep my business local. Not surprisingly, they didn't have one in stock, and would have to order it. Told me there was one in some other state, and they would have it delivered in about a week, and I left them a hefty deposit on the car.

A week goes by, and nothing. Two weeks go by, I call them, and get told that apparently the sales guy FORGOT to order it. They'll order it right now, and expedite it. Another week..nothing. I call them, they say it's on the way, should arrive in a day or two. Another week.."it's on the way, should be here in a day or two!". Another week - "we don't know...we'll call you back". Another week, I can't even get ahold of them by this point...I say screw it, and bought a new Camaro instead.

The next day? I get a call - my ACR has arrived! The sales guy was not in the least bit pleased when I told him "Great! Send it back, and refund my deposit!! I'm betting he was even less pleased when he got the letter from my lawyer requesting the deposit back, plus associated legal fees due to their initial refusal to refund the deposit.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy View Post
Yes, they would need a SSN. They get a copy of your license in case you test drive cars. That is standard practice at every respectable dealership.
Getting a copy of my license is one thing, but I'm not giving them my social security number until I'm ready to make a deal.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Getting a copy of my license is one thing, but I'm not giving them my social security number until I'm ready to make a deal.
Exactly. Which is why they only take your drivers license until you're applying for the loan or lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive