Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:57 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I guess this could be the case, but I highly doubt that some hired killer will have the technical knowhow to hack a single vehicle's computer system.
Doesn't have to if all the instructions are released publicly by hackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Don't get the Infiniti Q50 Sedan! They have electronic steering. You can hack it and get someone to slam into a brick wall if you want to.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:31 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Don't get the Infiniti Q50 Sedan! They have electronic steering. You can hack it and get someone to slam into a brick wall if you want to.
You can theoretically hack any car on the market so the Q50 would be the last thing I would worried about. Not to mention only some trims have the electronic steering. Cars with cellular connectivity are the easiest targets (not sure if the Q50 has this feature).

Old 07-21-2015, 03:39 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
IS there a vehicle which is not dominated by computers?

And if there still exists such a beast, it is only a matter of time before ALL vehicles will be required to be "connected", if for no other reason than insurance.....because it reduces their costs when you crash and the "computer" spits out exact location, exact speed, exact g-forces of the impact, impact location (right rear, for example), exact number and weight/profile of passengers in the car, and creates a likely assessment of what sort of emergency services are required.

Analog....that's YOU...is over. Digital is the new you!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:46 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
IS there a vehicle which is not dominated by computers?

And if there still exists such a beast, it is only a matter of time before ALL vehicles will be required to be "connected", if for no other reason than insurance.....because it reduces their costs when you crash and the "computer" spits out exact location, exact speed, exact g-forces of the impact, impact location (right rear, for example), exact number and weight/profile of passengers in the car, and creates a likely assessment of what sort of emergency services are required.

Analog....that's YOU...is over. Digital is the new you!
The problem isn't that they are connected but that they are connected poorly. Similar to how the huge Office of Personnel Management leak was largely due to poor information security standards. We cant avoid living in a connected world but businesses can approach a problem in different ways that are not all created equal.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But then if no computer your likely driving in a death trap in a wreck compared to more modern vehicles safety wise. Being in a vehicle on roadway is one most dangerous things you do day to day.
Melodrama much? New cars are safer but old cars are hardly a death trap millions of people still drive those "death traps" without incident every day. In 1980 there were about 3.1 deaths per 100 MILLION miles driven, sure that's "three times higher" than it is today but your odds of being killed in a non computer controlled car is hardly a sure death sentence.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Melodrama much? New cars are safer but old cars are hardly a death trap millions of people still drive those "death traps" without incident every day. In 1980 there were about 3.1 deaths per 100 MILLION miles driven, sure that's "three times higher" than it is today but your odds of being killed in a non computer controlled car is hardly a sure death sentence.
Since we're talking about odds, what's the likelihood that you would be the victim of some sophisticated hacking attack versus simply run off the road or shot?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Since we're talking about odds, what's the likelihood that you would be the victim of some sophisticated hacking attack versus simply run off the road or shot?
Getting higher every day. The point is that someone can do this with VERY little probability of being caught if they know what they are doing.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
If i had a Tesla, i wouldn't use the wireless anyway. I would just turn it off and keep it off....permanently disabled....unless it is impossible to turn off. I hardly even use the Garmin GPS that my sister gave me.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:13 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post

But then if no computer your likely driving in a death trap in a wreck compared to more modern vehicles safety wise. Being in a vehicle on roadway is one most dangerous things you do day to day

I would happily drive the 66 Belair or 69 Camaro - both Chevies - I had a couple of decades ago. There were no check engine lights, ABS, catalytic converters, emissions inspection or ethanol in gas either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive