Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times

Advertisements

Welcome, big brother....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:00 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But then if no computer your likely driving in a death trap in a wreck compared to more modern vehicles safety wise. Being in a vehicle on roadway is one most dangerous things you do day to day.
Old vehicles are not death traps and they have more character, which is why I don't plan on buying a new car again.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:14 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
Old vehicles are not death traps and they have more character, which is why I don't plan on buying a new car again.
Older cars do have more character. Good and bad in some. All cars now seem to look alike. Designers have run out of ideas. Lets just copy the next guy and change it a little.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Why can't we just go back to cars that don't have computers and all of this fancy equipment? Why can't we have EVs that are light, environmentally friendly, and easy for any mechanic or well-read owner to repair? Why can't we fix cars so that they don't go very fast, maybe cap the maximum speed at 50 mph and make them so that they are drivable even without a fuel source?

What's with the emphasis on computer-controlled cars that even master mechanics from ten years ago would have trouble repairing, that have to be taken to special shops and have computerized parts worked on and maintained. Why not just invest in making vehicles reliable, safe, user-friendly, and easy to repair? I think I'm going to save up and buy a 2009 model or maybe a good electric scooter.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:18 PM

450 posts, read 597,559 times
Was it really hackers? Jeeps seem to have less than stellar reliability so maybe it was something else.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Getting higher every day. The point is that someone can do this with VERY little probability of being caught if they know what they are doing.
Quantify "higher". As in 1 in 500 million to 2 in 500 million. There's no evidence that anyone has ever actually done this at all much less that it's happening more often. Most murders and assaults remain open cases, many things carry little probability of getting caught.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Why can't we just go back to cars that don't have computers and all of this fancy equipment? Why can't we have EVs that are light, environmentally friendly, and easy for any mechanic or well-read owner to repair? Why can't we fix cars so that they don't go very fast, maybe cap the maximum speed at 50 mph and make them so that they are drivable even without a fuel source?

What's with the emphasis on computer-controlled cars that even master mechanics from ten years ago would have trouble repairing, that have to be taken to special shops and have computerized parts worked on and maintained. Why not just invest in making vehicles reliable, safe, user-friendly, and easy to repair? I think I'm going to save up and buy a 2009 model or maybe a good electric scooter.
Buy a vintage mid 70s VW Super Beetle and you are where you want to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=684937sSN1E

Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Older cars do have more character. Good and bad in some. All cars now seem to look alike. Designers have run out of ideas. Lets just copy the next guy and change it a little.
I miss when automakers changed their exterior designs each and every year. I agree that cars today look too similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
maybe cap the maximum speed at 50 mph and make them so that they are drivable even without a fuel source?
It isn't 1986 anymore, and we were still driving faster than that back then at 55. I agree with the old Beetle idea. Characterful, easy to work on, and not in a rush. I had 12 of them at the same time. Good for laughing at impatient people behind you in the left lane too

Old 07-21-2015, 10:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Don't get the Infiniti Q50 Sedan! They have electronic steering. You can hack it and get someone to slam into a brick wall if you want to.
This is false. The Q50 absolutely does not have electronic steering. It has electric steering just like many other cars on the road.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But then if no computer your likely driving in a death trap in a wreck compared to more modern vehicles safety wise. Being in a vehicle on roadway is one most dangerous things you do day to day.
rubbish. my 82 fairmont has one computer, the stereo, and it is not a death trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive