Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 02:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times

Advertisements

Had a tow truck driver show up with a flatbed and proceed to ask me HOW he was expected to get my vehicle (07 4runner automatic) into neutral with a dead battery. Confused, I was like I'll just do it, which I did by moving the shifter into neutral...OBVIOUSLY!!!!

My question is...

Is this guy just completely ignorant about cars (I can't imagine ANYONE not knowing this...let alone someone who drives a tow truck) OR are there some newer vehicles being produced now that actually can't be put in neutral with a dead battery???

The whole thing just blew my mind!!!

***the battery wasn't the reason for the tow...vehicle has been sitting awhile due to another issue which is why it had drained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
That isn't the norm and of course if battery dead many require to remove cover to move the switch that allows it to be moved to neutral. with those electric trans. No different than where fuel shutoff switch is in case of a light rear end hit ;so car can be restarted rather than end up towed. But then I am sure dealers get a kcik from the calls abut what is easily learned in owners manual so many do not read or even consult.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That isn't the norm and of course if battery dead many require to remove cover to move the switch that allows it to be moved to neutral. with those electric trans. No different than where fuel shutoff switch is in case of a light rear end hit ;so car can be restarted rather than end up towed. Your mind is easily blown; sorry couldn't resist.
LOL no, seriously thanks because I asked because I really wanted to know!

I was thinking it was quite possible I was missing something!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Had a tow truck driver show up with a flatbed and proceed to ask me HOW he was expected to get my vehicle (07 4runner automatic) into neutral with a dead battery. Confused, I was like I'll just do it, which I did by moving the shifter into neutral...OBVIOUSLY!!!!

My question is...

Is this guy just completely ignorant about cars (I can't imagine ANYONE not knowing this...let alone someone who drives a tow truck) OR are there some newer vehicles being produced now that actually can't be put in neutral with a dead battery???

The whole thing just blew my mind!!!

***the battery wasn't the reason for the tow...vehicle has been sitting awhile due to another issue which is why it had drained.
Here is one example:
How To Tow A Jaguar Equipped With An Electronic Shift Lever

Old 07-23-2015, 07:53 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
It was simply prudent of him to ask you the owner in case you knew the precise procedure for your car rather than just give it a go.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Look at the bright side. At least he asked instead of towing it up the tilt bed in park.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 PM

334 posts, read 520,709 times
Tow truck driver here, yes there are some vehicles that will not shift without battery power. It sounds like you got a rookie, but I'm disappointed that he didn't even try; on the other hand it's good that he asked before tearing something up.

As a side note, the majority of Toyota have a shift lock override.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:18 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Mine is only 414 pages too. Should have read three times by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That isn't the norm and of course if battery dead many require to remove cover to move the switch that allows it to be moved to neutral. with those electric trans. No different than where fuel shutoff switch is in case of a light rear end hit ;so car can be restarted rather than end up towed. But then I am sure dealers get a kcik from the calls abut what is easily learned in owners manual so many do not read or even consult.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:47 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Most cars provide some sort of shiftlock override.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I know on my car if you try and turn the key with a dead battery it locks the ignition, there is a little hole under the steering column so you can turn it back. Now that I think about it there is a little recessed button by the shifter, not sure if that's what it is for. I'd imagine there is lot of cars you can't shift without power for whatever reason.

That said if the guy is a tow truck driver and can't get it into neutral because of a dead battery he's a moron and needs to find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive