Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times

Advertisements

The dealer says my alignment is fine. Like I said before the dealer says nothing wrong with the car. It drives as its designed to blah blah.

I think your comment "the car drives fine now (for a tall crossover)" says it all. It is not fine in my book.

I am looking for a wagon or crossover where the owner says "the car handles like a dream, corners like my Fusion" etc.

At the top of my list right now are Volvo V60 and the BMWs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:13 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,840,940 times
And yes I subscribe to CR and no I did not read anything about how bad the handling is on this car in the CR review. In fact I did extensive research on this car as it was and is my first (AND LAST) Subaru...........

Can you post a link?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:36 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
I have a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Turbo engine and I love it. It's engine has a cool growl when you step on it and it accelerates with authority. It feels like a V8.

I've owned it for 18 months and have not had one problem. Just take one for a test drive. Then decide for yourself.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I'll have to disagree on that one. My CX-5 is very driveable. Maybe not all are, the there is a reason it leads the compact SUV segment.

depends what you compare it with...

You should drive the cars I suggested same day when you drive the CX5 and only then you'll see there is no comparison.

About 2 years ago I test drove a CX5 for my son, I was beyond disappointed since its response seemed to be elastic like lagging.
I do drive non European cars on regular basis since I rent during my frequent travels.
In my book they all have a boat like handling, which I'm sure it is ok for 90% of people who only care about reliable transportation at lowest cost.

Last edited by 28173; 07-28-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM

905 posts, read 790,241 times
It might be too slow but check out the Mazda CX-5.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

You should drive the cars I suggested same day when you drive the CX5 and only then you'll see there is no comparison.

About 2 years ago I test drove a CX5 for my son, I was beyond disappointed since its response seemed to be elastic like lagging.
I do drive non European cars on regular basis since I rent during my frequent travels.
In my book they all have a boat like handling, which I'm sure it is ok for 90% of people who only care about reliable transportation at lowest cost.
The early ones had less HP than is now available. I bet you drove one of the underpowered ones.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
i swear to god i did not notice it during the THREE test drives i did. i might be OK with the screaming engine if it actually MOVED. but it's screaming and choking and meanwhile the car in the lane i just switched to is coming up behind me going really fast and wondering why my car isn't moving.....
It's a CVT isn't it? They are easier on gas but generally unrefined. Even a halfway upscale car like a Maxima feels like a cheap agrarian implement with a CVT, and it has far more power than a four cylinder Outback.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

2 years ago puts you in a 2013, which had a LOT less power than the 2015 I have. It's not "fast" by any means, but it's not supposed to be. It's still a full second ahead 0-60 when compared to anything in its class. Handling is decidedly un-boatlike, IMO, for a CUV with 8.5" of ground clearance.

Those European options pull very similar skidpad numbers, and yet have 1/2" less or more ground clearance. That sort of thing matters a lot in a heavy 3500#+ vehicle.

Anyway, lets also not forget, if I wanted sporting, I'd be in a coupe. I wanted cheap and effective. a $50K compact SUV is just stupid in my book. Why not buy a ML or X5 or...? But then you missed the entire point of the goal. Cheaply hauling a moderate amount of people/things in all-weather conditions over rutted dirt roads and through snow and whatnot on occasion.

A friend of mine had an M3, and I got a ride in a 911 4S once. Nice cars, but my Z06 would handle up on either of them. My 370Z on the other hand had a very poor suspension dynamic and plowed in corners. I did not like it. I agree, there. Japan dropped the ball on the latest Z car. But again...this is about a compact SUV/Wagon.

The new 2.5L CX5 has 100% torque at only 3200rpm. Pretty impressive for a 4 banger. At 2000rpm, it's pushing 50# more torque than the 2013 CX5. I can see where you might change your mind if you drove the newer one with 2.5L

Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
And yes I subscribe to CR and no I did not read anything about how bad the handling is on this car in the CR review. In fact I did extensive research on this car as it was and is my first (AND LAST) Subaru...........

Can you post a link?
The WRX, Forester 2.0XT, and BRZ are all pretty awesome cars at their price point. You just bought a total dog from the line-up is what happened. Kindof like a guy who dates a really crappy girl and then goes all Bruce Jenner.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:40 AM

376 posts, read 499,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have never heard of an Outback owner being dissatisfied with their vehicle. That is strange indeed. I don't recall if OP said she got a 4 cylinder. If she did, I bet all the horsies under the hood of my V6 Toyota RAV4 that's what she doesn't like about it. Any SUV or variations of such vehicles should have a V6 or at least a turbo V4, IMO. I test drove two RAV4s with the V4 and they had no go juice whatsoever. So when I found one of the few V6 RAV4s, I purchased it and am very happy with the power it has. SUVs are too heavy to pull off a V4, but car manufacturers are doing that to save money, I'm sure.

I think it's a wise idea for any car buyer to rent the same model of vehicle he/she is interested in before buying it. A 30 minute test drive is not enough time for you to decide if you are really going to want to spend upwards of $10K and drive something day in and day out for many years. If you decide on a model, go to Avis or whoever and rent as close a model to the vehicle you want as you can. Shelling out $60 or $75 to be absolutely sure you're going to love what you buy is well worth the investment, IMO.
lol "V4"

Dont ever call a 4 banger a "V4" they don't exist in the modern world anymore.

Most 4 bangers are Inline 4's or Subaru H4's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive