Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Does anyone here (who didn't see my earlier post) have an Audi, BMW, Volvo, VW, Mercedes Benz or other wagon that has decent cargo room and hatchback (like my 4 cyl. CVT Outback), but is a vehicle that actually has power, handles like a sedan and has good brakes (unlike my 4 cyl. CVT Outback)?

I am looking to get rid of my new Outback and need test drive recs.

Thanks!
Too bad you can't get this in the States :

Audi S4 Avant - Audi.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:26 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
mk7 Golf Sportwagen.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
thanks all for all the suggestions

i bought my 2014 outback in december, so yeah its 7 months old, that seems pretty new to me

the BMW X cars seem more SUV-ish to me

i can't believe no one on this board drives a 328i wagon or a volvo V60 or a MB e-class wagon????

Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Does anyone here (who didn't see my earlier post) have an Audi, BMW, Volvo, VW, Mercedes Benz or other wagon that has decent cargo room and hatchback (like my 4 cyl. CVT Outback), but is a vehicle that actually has power, handles like a sedan and has good brakes (unlike my 4 cyl. CVT Outback)?

I am looking to get rid of my new Outback and need test drive recs.

Thanks!
Wow, you really hate that car don't you? My BS detector is starting to chirp here.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:39 AM

its not BS, the car drives like crap and i am trying to get reliable anecdotal info from people who drive the competitors
i plant to test the competitors this weekend
the problem is apparently the "station wagon" category is not that popular and not many people on this board have these wagons and info about them

Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
its not BS, the car drives like crap and i am trying to get reliable anecdotal info from people who drive the competitors
the problem is apparently the "station wagon" category is not that popular and not many people on this board have these wagons and info about them
Yeah but if you can live with a crossover SUV or traditional SUV you would get tons of valuable feedback since a modern station wagon will not get much better fuel economy then a modern latest model CUV TBH.

Is a 2WD Chevy Tahoe/Suburban or Ford Explorer/Expedition not just a modern station wagons?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
I love my 2015 Golf GTI! Count this as another vote for that hatchback.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:

Not sure how you are planning to get "reliable anecdotal" info ... online anecdotes are what they are.
If I tell you a wagon has "good" power, "adequate" handling, "great" brakes, would you believe it off the cuff?
Check out "customer" reviews/ratings for these models at all the usual car sites and go on more rigorous test drives so you won't make the mistake of getting a car that doesn't meet your needs. While you're at it, drive the Outback 3.6R.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 AM

driving the 6 cylinder is not gonna make me happy; it may be faster but
the brakes are still gonna be squishy and the car is still going to handle too much like an SUV due to height and weight

the fact that is the Outback is just not engineered to handle well as a daily driver
that car is engineered to handle weather well and to haul stuff, not to be a commuter car

i have learned from this experience that i am too much of a "driver" to accept the truck-like handling of this car

i truly believe that subaru ruined this car when they made it an SUV

i see all the old Outbacks on the road and think to myself THAT is what i wish i had, a true wagon

maybe the Outback can haul 10 bags of mulch, a dog and plow through snow

first of all i live in florida so i dont need a snow plow.
second of all i think i would compromise some cargo room for a faster car that handles the highway like a champ

before anyone starts with the "why did you buy this car if you live in florida" i bought it because it was the highest rated "wagon" in the 25k-35k price range, and when i test drove it three times i did not notice the drivability issues

i think i was too busy messing with the entertainment system

Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I think you better up your budget if you want a wagon. A lot of the wagons mentioned above cost a lot more than 35,000.

The only way to keep to your budget is to buy a hatchback. Maybe try the Focus ST. Or wait for the Focus RS coming in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive