Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:35 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Remember there are SUVs that are true wagons. Example: Chevrolet Suburban, Ford Expedition. Ford Explorer is similar in size to a mid size sedan, and has a lot of cargo area if the 2 sets of passenger seats are laid down. I know as I have one.

Remember, if you do not need a 4X4, you can order one without the 4 wheel drive, and have a large 2 wheel drive wagon.
Good grief a suv is not a wagon. Please note the definition starts with the word....car.

Station Wagon | Definition of station wagon by Merriam-Webster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Good grief a suv is not a wagon. Please note the definition starts with the word....car.

Station Wagon | Definition of station wagon by Merriam-Webster

car

noun \ˈkär, dial also ˈkȯr, ˈkyär\
: a vehicle that has four wheels and an engine and that is used for carrying passengers on roads
: a separate section of a train

Full Definition of STATION WAGON

: an automobile that has a passenger compartment which extends to the back of the vehicle, that has no trunk, that has one or more rear seats which can be folded down to make space for light cargo, and that has a tailgate or liftgate

Yep. SUVs fit that description.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
car

noun \ˈkär, dial also ˈkȯr, ˈkyär\
: a vehicle that has four wheels and an engine and that is used for carrying passengers on roads
: a separate section of a train

Full Definition of STATION WAGON

: an automobile that has a passenger compartment which extends to the back of the vehicle, that has no trunk, that has one or more rear seats which can be folded down to make space for light cargo, and that has a tailgate or liftgate

Yep. SUVs fit that description.
But your SUV can go where there are no roads....a car needs roads since it lacks off road ability.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Find a Mazda 6 wagon with a 5 speed & a V6.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
But your SUV can go where there are no roads....a car needs roads since it lacks off road ability.
What's that?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
why did i buy the outback or a wagon in the first place? b/c i want to be able to haul 10 bags of mulch or a bunch of luggage/coolers for a road trip or that antique hutch i just bought at the vintage store or the 5 folding tables i just got at office depot. i got tired of not being able to do anything of this in a sedan.

no i dont have kids
no i dont need the AWD
but the cargo room in the outback is awesome
its just that driving day to day it REALLY SUCKS
even though i can haul luggage and coolers for a road trip, trust me, you do NOT want to take an outback on a road trip
with how badly it handles, drifting all over, and how slow it is

mobilist THANK YOU SO MUCH for your insights absolutely invaluable

Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
why did i buy the outback or a wagon in the first place? b/c i want to be able to haul 10 bags of mulch or a bunch of luggage/coolers for a road trip or that antique hutch i just bought at the vintage store or the 5 folding tables i just got at office depot. i got tired of not being able to do anything of this in a sedan.

no i dont have kids
no i dont need the AWD
but the cargo room in the outback is awesome
its just that driving day to day it REALLY SUCKS
even though i can haul luggage and coolers for a road trip, trust me, you do NOT want to take an outback on a road trip
with how badly it handles, drifting all over, and how slow it is

mobilist THANK YOU SO MUCH for your insights absolutely invaluable
Should have gotten the 3.6R, or a Forester 2.0XT.

Let me ask this, though...what are you COMING FROM? I've owned and driven all sorts of vehicles, from a E150 van, to a Z06 corvette, and many things in between. Everything is relative.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 AM

i am coming from driving a Saab 9-5 and an Accord

Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
i am coming from driving a Saab 9-5 and an Accord
then you should try to find a used Saab 9-7X Aero it is identical to the Chevy SS trailblazer with AWD and a 400HP LS2 6.0 V-8 from the C-6 corvette

The Saab 9-7X was the last of the GMT360 SUVs. It was one of the first Saabs to feature standard all-wheel drive, along with the Saab 9-2X. It was the only GMT360 SUV not available with rear-wheel drive. The 9-7X was the first production Saab with a V8 engine.

It also featured substantial chassis revisions, including a 1-inch (25 mm) lower ride height, revised bushings and dampers, and quicker steering to sharpen the handling. Like the Bravada and Buick Rainier, it featured standard rear air suspension.

The interior design was inspired by the Saab 9-5 with features like the console-mounted ignition switch and swing-out cup holder retained. Missing were the "night panel" switch that extinguished all unnecessary dash lighting, as well as the Saab active head restraints.

Aero - For 2008 a new high-performance variant was added using the 390 horsepower (291 kW) 6.0L GM Small-Block LS2 V8 also found in the Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac GTO, and Chevrolet Trailblazer SS.

In addition to the LS2 V8, the Aero featured 20 inch wheels, improved suspension, a heavy-duty 4-speed automatic transmission and Aero-embroidered leather-appointed seats and floormats.

Saab claimed that the 9-7X Aero could accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in less than 6 seconds. With very little modification, Aero owners are able to see 1/4 mile dragstrip times in the mid 12 second range.

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM

oh hell no, the Saab was completely unreliable and besides it's a dead brand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive