Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 PM

142 posts, read 120,635 times

Advertisements

I am not an artist and actually quite barring person, however being from Europe cant help myself to notice that here in US there are so much less colors in car world.

Most cars i see if i sit down sidewalk and look for an hour at the road would be:
Silver: 35%
Black: 35%
White: 20%
Other dull colors: 8%
bright colors: 2%

I don't mean recent cars either even older 1990+ cars mostly come in Silver, Black and White.

Last edited by Petrovich; 07-27-2015 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They come in many colors, Black, white and silver are what you see most because people like them and buy them in those "colors". I agree, they are very boring, but some of the other colors are downright ugly, especially the light ones. My truck is Redfire Metallic, my wife's car is Impact Blue. There are good colors out there.

How could anyone like this green?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
I own a black car, personally.

I guess I just think cars in bright, flashy colors are tacky and obnoxious. Whenever I see some ridiculous color, I can't help but think, "what an a**hole."

Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post
I am not an artist and actually quite barring person, however being from Europe cant help myself to notice that here in US there are so much less colors in car world.

Most cars i see if i sit down sidewalk and look for an hour at the road would be:

I don't mean recent cars either even older 1990+ cars mostly come in Silver, Black and White.
I agree completely. I see thousands of cars in SoCal and those colors are the vast majority. Even many ultra-modern cars like the Tesla and the late Karma are mostly boring colors, plus brown. I would say that Mini seems to have the most choices, plus it offers striping and other paint options like different colored mirrors. My own car color is 'Black Cherry,' not very common on the road.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Most people don't want their cars to stand out in any way. Most of the cars I see in bright colors like red and yellow are sports cars or muscle cars.

Actually, some years ago when I came back to the US after being in Japan for a while, the cars looked colorful to me. In Japan, most cars were white.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
How could anyone like this green?
I love lime green cars - had one for a brief time while I was living in England (company car). Funny enough, my husband had to pick me up one time and I thought "Oh, this will be easy to spot because how many people have a lime green car?" Turns out, a lot! Must have seen at least 5 of them within a 10 minute period while waiting, each time wrongly thinking it must be my husband, lol.

Also, I don't know if it's just Colorado, but orange cars are really popular right now (orange being the Broncos color, I don't know if it's just a Colorado thing or not).

My husband and I have two cars right now - one is red, the other is light blue.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
It's the same reason most people's houses are painted with neutral colors. Resale. Bold colors have a love/hate relationship. Neutral colors are seldom loved, but seldom hated. I don't just mean by owners either. Dealers order mostly neutral colors because they know they will sell, where a hot pink car will sit on the lot for months.

Also, there is some benefit to an anonymous looking car. A white/black/grey car is under the radar.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 PM

142 posts, read 120,635 times
Hemlock140 that mini apple stub car will look ugly in any color IMO.

My Spanish friend told me that only people buying "wired" colored cars are black people, however i dont agree i love all colors but bright red.

Say this sky-blue old Contour looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Also, there is some benefit to an anonymous looking car. A white/black/grey car is under the radar.
That true only on the roads with majority cars being white/black/grey cars.

P.S. In Japan there's too much tabu...

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I own a black car, personally.

I guess I just think cars in bright, flashy colors are tacky and obnoxious. Whenever I see some ridiculous color, I can't help but think, "what an a**hole."
I know! I just want to push them over and JUMP UP AND DOWN ON THEIR #%^!*(.... wait, we were talking about Nazis right?

Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post

Car companies charge extra for different colors other than those you mentioned (usually $300+). The process to create different colors takes more effort and so the car companies have to up the price which means less people are likely to get those other colors.

European buyers might be more likely to pay for the additional costs than Americans, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive