Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

Can you cut away the flange and tack weld the nut back in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Break the enclosure/cage. Once you do that you can put a box wrench over the nut. This is almost identical to the issue I had. I would get a new nut and a lock washer for the re-install.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Break the enclosure/cage. Once you do that you can put a box wrench over the nut. This is almost identical to the issue I had. I would get a new nut and a lock washer for the re-install.
I don't think it's actually a nut under the cage, I believe it's just a threaded plate so I don't think you can put a box wrench on it. I remember replacing a lower control arm on my nieces 2003 Neon and I if I remember correctly there is also a bushing on the control arm side where the bolt runs through. I think the idea of the welded design is so that the bolt is securely attached to that plate without the risk of any movement on the plate side. I do remember that the torque value for that bolt on her car was a 175 ft lbs., the reason why I remember that is because my 3/4 torque wrench only goes to 150 so I needed to borrow one.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I don't think it's actually a nut under the cage, I believe it's just a threaded plate so I don't think you can put a box wrench on it. I remember replacing a lower control arm on my nieces 2003 Neon and I if I remember correctly there is also a bushing on the control arm side where the bolt runs through. I think the idea of the welded design is so that the bolt is securely attached to that plate without the risk of any movement on the plate side. I do remember that the torque value for that bolt on her car was a 175 ft lbs., the reason why I remember that is because my 3/4 torque wrench only goes to 150 so I needed to borrow one.

Then my suggestion would be to replace the plate with a new nut from the hardware store, something you CAN put a box wrench around.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Then my suggestion would be to replace the plate with a new nut from the hardware store, something you CAN put a box wrench around.
Right, except for the fact is that the OP can't unscrew the bolt from the plate. He states he cant get anything to grip the plate, that's why I suggested welding the plate back into the floor pan.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
If I'm following correctly now, which I think I am, yeah, I'd cut that cage off with a dremel.

I understand it's a round "nut", so I'd tack weld it on while getting out the bolt if possible. Then replace with a regular nut on assembly.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the use of an impact gun. The way they work is not to put tremendous force on the fastener, but to "bang" it loose..... bolt, nut, flange or in this case if you don't have a welder, Vise grips. I'd bet if it was removed with an impact gun in the first place that flange would have never broke free. Now that it has, cut that cage off and hold the flange in place with whatever you can (weld, vise grips, drill a hole and screw it down etc) and beg borrow or steal an impact gun, air or electric. The difference in cases like this is huge compared to the steady force of a wrench. Holding the flange with some needlenose visegrips will never work with a wrench, but it might with an impact gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive