Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever been in a Car Accident?
Yes but it wasn't my fault. 49 62.82%
Yes and it was my fault. 16 20.51%
Never been involved in one. 13 16.67%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,490,786 times

Advertisements

I was hit by drunk driver that ran red light. Because of 'no fault' laws got really messed over for a settlement that didn't even pay the bills.

While the case was going on, someone advised me not to talk to the other driver's insurance people. They told me of example of one that went to trial. The other person's insurance called and asked how the person was doing. People out of habit will often answer 'fine.' That's what happened. In court the plaintiff was asked how come when the insurance called on such and such date the plaintiff said she was fine. Insurance companies pull tricks like that. They don't care how you're doing. They're trying to get out of paying out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:44 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
Got T boned recently in NC as a fella past us at high speed in a no passing zone hitting the drivers side as I made a turn into a driveway. I was trapped as I began inhaling sodium azide from five deployed bags ....five! My wife broke the tip of her finger blocking the passenger bag . The Chevy Sonic was totaled.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that when it comes to the internet and car accidents very few people will admit they were at fault?
Internet has little to do with it. People will be texting while driving and rear end someone and "It wasn't their fault" because the person in front of them 'slammed on the brakes'. It's human nature to downplay your role in something bad. whether you're talking about it on the internet or the person in the cube next to you.

As I mentioned before, I've been in one accident that was my fault. There were circumstances to it, as there always are.. But, end of the day, I rear ended someone, it's my fault.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:28 PM

447 posts, read 651,903 times
been driving 8 years and no accidents yet. Dread the day I have one. Few close calls though

Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
But, but, it wasn't my fault. I got the ticket, though. Someone hit me in the middle of a rural intersection. The woman would have T-boned me if I hadn't seen her a moment before impact and turned away. The whole experience was really miserable. The tow truck driver told me that my car was probably totaled. It wasn't, but that didn't lighten the mood. I stood on the side of the road, shivering in a cold October drizzle because my ride wasn't showing up. The police officer finally said he had to leave and that he'd drop me somewhere nearby. I ended up at a convenience store where the employees kept nervously glancing at me while I waited. After all, I'd just gotten out of the back of a police car, so I must be a dangerous criminal. When I finally got home, I cried.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
First accident was in my Lincoln LSC Sitting at a traffic light and was rear ended by a box truck. Never saw it coming.My foot came off the brake and hit the accelerator and Sent me flying into the intersection of oncoming traffic that had the turning arrow, narrowly missed having a head on collision with several cars. I had several injuries

A few years later driving my pristine showroom condition 88 Mustang convertible, fire engine red, white top white leather seats and was garaged kept it's entire life I was cut off by a woman driving an 83' Buick Riveria. She turned in front of me cutting me off. It was all slow motion she wasn't even looking when she made the turn. I saw her head turned to the back of the car arms extended shaking her pointer finger, apparently she was scolding her kid. I tried to go around her but I would up catching her rear quarter panel. I nearly was tossed from the car, I hit my head on the top locking mechanism on the windshield and saw stars. and smashed my knee on the dash board. I wasn't even going that fast maybe 30 mph which was under the speed limit for that road. Both cars were totaled.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:05 PM

396 posts, read 512,742 times
We got rear ended in Indianapolis about 20 years ago. We were in a line of traffic that had come to a stop in both directions. A teenager came barreling down a freeway exit ramp and right into our car. He didn't even attempt to stop. This was before cell phones were widely in use so I have no idea what he was thinking. He was driving a very large SUV, we were in a Honda Accord. Surprisingly, the damage was minimal (had to have our bumper replaced but that was it, and no injuries were involved thank goodness).

Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
I've been in 4 accidents over the past 35 years, two my fault, two not. First was when I was 18, making a left turn at an intersection of a 4 lane road and a 2 lane road. I was turning from the 4 lane road and a large truck was turning left going the other way. I waited and looked to make sure there was no traffic in the outside lane and decided to turn. Once I did, an old man in an Olds Cutlass just like mine, changed lanes from the center lane to the outside lane to go around the turning truck and proceeded through the intersection. I stopped when I saw him, but I was too far out in the intersection and he hit me on the front passenger corner with his front passenger corner. I swear he swerved into me, but since I was across the center line, the cop said it was my fault.

Second one I was in the center esplanade halfway across a street when turning left. I was at a slight diagonal to keep from blocking the inside lane. When an opening appeared in the traffic, I started to go, and unknown to me, a van that was behind me had illegally moved to the center esplanade to my left, also waiting for an opening. He thought he would jump out in front of me, but we both started going at the same time. He hit me on the front driver's fender.

Third I was in traffic on the freeway, and just was not paying attention. I was looking at a nice new truck in the lane next to me, and once I looked ahead, the Datsun truck I was following, had stopped. I hit him at probably 10-12 mph, broke all the lights on the front of my Mustang and bent the hood and radiator support. The impact pushed him into a van in front of him and scratched it up a bit. Nothing major, but the rear tube bumper on the truck was pushed down. My insurance paid for a "total loss" on the Datsun for $800 ( I think he kept it, the bumper just had to be rotated back up level) and they paid about $1,200 for the "damages" on the van. I got replacement lights for my car from a salvage yard for about $40 and luckily found a used hood in the correct color for $125.

The last time I honked at a guy that had run a stop sign in front of me and I had to slam on my brakes and swerve to avoid him. Yes, I honked at him for a good 10-15 seconds or so, I was mad. I would have hit him hard if I didn't see him out of the corner of my eye and realize he was not stopping. Well, after we turned, I was passing him and "yelling" to him in my truck that he ran that @#$%^ stop sign, and he swerved into my lane at me. I hit the brakes, swerved right, and he only hit my tire with his door. Big black rubber marks all over it. I had a small scratch on the fender flare from his mirror, but no real damage. The cop listened to our stories, and let him know he was wrong, but let me know I should not have honked at him so much and just let the idiot go. I'm sure I embarrassed him in front of his lady passenger so he had something to prove.

Both of the people that hit me were foreigners who immediately jumped out and started yelling after THEY hit me. I don't know if it was an intimidation tactic or just the way they act in their home countries.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Has anyone ever noticed that when it comes to the internet and car accidents very few people will admit they were at fault?

I had a minor fender bender back in the day. It was my fault. I ended up paying the other driver $1600. My parents would not have it any other way.

The damage was one dented fender and a some slight mental bruising. I screwed up.
If it was my fault I would call it but I havent been at fault yet. People in Charlotte really just cant drive.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Just one....not my fault.

Sitting at a stop sign on an entrance ramp to a four lane highway waiting for traffic to ease up so I can scoot in. Look in my rear view mirror and see two cars way back up the ramp and a Firebird coming down the highway, after that I'm out and gone. Look in the rear view a second or two later and see the second car inches from my tail and coming in fast. Sh....$%*&(^*^!.

Fast forward about two seconds......I'm in the fast lane of the highway pointed the wrong direction. Look out my window and see a tire way out in the field, just rolling away. "Hey, that looks like my spare!". I see the other guys car crunched up to the firewall.

Shake myself loose, nothing broken or damaged on me, get out, calmly walk back to the other fellow who was still sitting in his car and said to him "happy now dumb$%##?". His response? "I didn't know you had stop signs at entrance ramps here". Guess where he came from (Ohio) stop signs are optional huh? My loss was a beautiful '81 Grand Marquis coupe, crunched to the back window. His losses were two broken wrists and his wife's brand new (600 or so miles) Honda Accord which he'd borrowed for his trip to Pittsburgh. To add insult to injury for him, tow truck driver later told me his wife flat out refused to come from Ohio and bring him home.

One good thing did happen though...the lady driving the car that was between us managed to think fast and ducked down into the field when she saw him coming full tilt down the ramp. She later mentioned her two infant children were in the back seat. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive