Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Diesel engines smoke, the older they get the more they smoke. Sorry, we don't all drive a Prius, if you think I should drive a Prius tell them to make a 3/4 ton truck with a higher towing capacity and longer range than what I drive now and I might think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
My RV is a 40 ft bus with a 6V71 Detroit, it "rolls coal" on acceleration, and it IS properly tuned

Lots of people put Detroits in pickups too.
Hadn't realized that it was common today to rip out a modern Powerstroke or Cummins to throw in an ancient, inefficient, motor just to **** off other people on the road.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:51 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Hadn't realized that it was common today to rip out a modern Powerstroke or Cummins to throw in an ancient, inefficient, motor just to **** off other people on the road.
I'm guessing you don't know too many rednecks. I'm guessing their main priority is not pissing people off, its just a bonus, they have a nice looking truck with blown engine and can't afford a new one, but cousin Billy Bob has a screaming jimmy that runs good for $1000, so

My bus has no problem running 70 mph with a Detroit, can you imagine what that would do in a pickup

Old 08-01-2015, 04:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
Typically yes... though, there is a certain segment of the population that do what's called "rolling coal." Google it.

People will literally intentionally disable emissions controls on their Diesels so that when floored, they put out copious amounts of black smoke. From what I understand, some will have a switch that they can turn it on and off.

You'll see it frequently with the guys who put smoke stacks on their diesel.

This is more than a little bit that gets pumped out from hard accelerating. It turns the whole sky black for hundreds of feet.

I've only seen it twice in real life. Both times, I was on my bicycle and these drivers thought it would be hilarious to endanger my life by covering the whole crowded road in black smoke. Both times I ended up standing on the side of the road with my bicycle cap over my mouth and nose until the smoke dissapated. It's a disgusting thing to do to people.

Stay on the established bicycle trails that were created for "bicycles" to use and stay off of the roads that were created for "non bicycles" to use and you won't have this issue.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I think trucks with diesel engines should have the exhaust come out the front.

That way, the driver will be the first to breathe the black smoke.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:14 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Yes, diesels can smoke more. but yes, there are also A-holes who "roll-coal" to **** people off. I had one do it to me a couple weeks ago. Came right up to me and slowed down, then punched it until the sky was black and I couldn't see a dang thing. I actually had to let up on the gas until it cleared, then he slowed down again until I caught up and did it again. A total A-hole. And I wasn't even driving my econobox fiesta, I was in my Ram 4X4 with a slight lift and 35" mud tires. I guess he wanted to prove his Super Duty was the better truck?

As has been mentioned, all that black smoke is just unburnt fuel going out the exhaust. New engines burn clean. That is why modern diesels put out a lot more power a lot more efficiently now. The old detroits were smokers and I highly doubt there are many in modern pickups. You don't even see them in boats anymore hardly.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
My boat has two 12V71TI Detroits. She puts out little to no smoke, except a little on acceleration after long periods of low speed operation like trolling. If she "rolls coal", it's time for a very expensive visit from the marine diesel man (one that knows how to set the rack on a Jimmy!).

She uses wet exhausts that exit at the waterline and if atmospheric conditions are right, she'll put out some steam. But many boats, gas or diesel, do that and it has nothing to do with the engines.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
They are both idiots usually. The Prius owners try to push their agenda that everyone should drive a Prius. And the "rolling coal" is typical redneck behavior.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
I think Prius owners should have their own roads where they can drive at 25 below the limit like they all do and no one will care. And I think anyone seen rolling coal should immediately have their vehicle taken away from them and be forced to ride a bicycle for 7 years.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Most people become violence crazed imbeciles as soon as the ignition is switched on, no matter what they drive.
Cars are our religion, and car owners want jihad on everyone else, just like in the middle east or other place crazed ppl fight over their religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive