Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
My 2003 Jetta puts out a little smoke at full power and it is bone stock. It is normal for the engine and hard to see. It still gets 54+ mpg tanks.
This is more or less how a diesel should perform. Even a truck that is about the same age as your 12 year old Jetta shouldn't put out more than a little smoke (which won't cloud up on a highway).

When you see smoke like that in the picture, it's a sign of either negligence or illegal modification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Well, if you've never turned a wrench in your entire life, perhaps you should stop posting incorrect information.

I worked at my uncle's truck repair shop for 9 years. Perhaps you should try picking up some tools at some point and a learn a thing or two about ICEs.
I've been turning wrenches and machining steel my entire life (and I'm not young), and I'm not just a flunky helper like you were, I own the shop.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I've been turning wrenches and machining steel my entire life (and I'm not young), and I'm not just a flunky helper like you were, I own the shop.
It's a shame that you own a shop and know very little about vehicles. Perhaps that's normal for someone who owns the shop vs someone who actually does the work on the cars.

My uncle owned multiple shops. I was the lead mechanic at one before I moved on to better things.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Maybe you should ask your mechanics about diesel engines. It's obvious from your posts in this thread that you don't have much expertise in diesel vehicles. It's possible that spending some time in the garage instead of the office will help you learn more.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I just had something new happen to me yesterday: somebody "rolled coal" at me.

I was driving along the Interstate in my Prius and I noticed that the pickup that was passing me had a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I watched him and it seemed to stop, not just dissipate, and then I noticed the same thing as he drove by another hybrid car.

My question is this: what kind of idiot derives some kind of pleasure from this?
Not certain whether it was intentional or not. But you have to accept that we share the road with other drivers... and many of them are idiots.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Diesel engines smoke, the older they get the more they smoke. Sorry, we don't all drive a Prius, if you think I should drive a Prius tell them to make a 3/4 ton truck with a higher towing capacity and longer range than what I drive now and I might think about it.
I drove my old 2000 F250 PSD for 14 years and 150K miles. The only time I ever saw any smoke coming from it was when the glow plugs went bad, and that was only for a minute or two after starting.

I was following a car yesterday (in town) that was following a pickup. The pickup "rolled coal" so bad that it created a hazard. Not only could I not see the pickup, I couldn't see the car I was following. These guys should get a stiff fine when caught -- like $500 or $1000 minimum. If they can afford to dump fuel on the highway, they can afford a fine.

Incidentally, I traded that fine old F250 for a Prius last fall. Operating costs are roughly 1/4-1/3. I don't like driving the Prius as well as the truck, but it's pretty nice to drive long distances for next to nothing.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
This whole whizzing match it laughable.

While the whole pious Prius bit is annoying... So is the inbred redneck driving the lifted diesel rolling coal. These pud pullers have never pulled a trailer or hauled a load beyond groceries.

Both groups are annoying in their own way.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
This whole whizzing match it laughable.

While the whole pious Prius bit is annoying... So is the inbred redneck driving the lifted diesel rolling coal. These pud pullers have never pulled a trailer or hauled a load beyond groceries.

Both groups are annoying in their own way.
When I'm on the road, 99% of pickup drivers and 99% of prius drivers don't annoy me or even concern me one bit. It's the idiots that are the problem.

There are more motorcyclists and bicyclists on the road that I witness breaking laws or driving unsafely than priuses and trucks.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I saw an old Jeep Gladiator pickup last weekend that had a GM 671 Diesel in It. You should have seen the front leaf springs. GM 671s are HEAVY. I had two of them in the Mary Ann, a floating crane on Narragansett Bay back in 1967.

Maybe the reason the Pious driver sees blowing coal often is that she is driving at 55 MPH with a line of traffic behind her and people floor it to get by her so they can drive at the speed limit at 65, or in Maine, 75 MPH.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I saw an old Jeep Gladiator pickup last weekend that had a GM 671 Diesel in It. You should have seen the front leaf springs. GM 671s are HEAVY. I had two of them in the Mary Ann, a floating crane on Narragansett Bay back in 1967.

Maybe the reason the Pious driver sees blowing coal often is that she is driving at 55 MPH with a line of traffic behind her and people floor it to get by her so they can drive at the speed limit at 65, or in Maine, 75 MPH.
I'm assuming that's not a spelling error? Classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive