Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM

61 posts, read 86,109 times

Advertisements

Here is what happened: I got off my car. Went to pay at the pay machine...realized I forgot wallet in the car..went back to the car, sat down in the car seat as I my wallet fell down towards the driver seat. A person knocks on my window and tells me to back my car since I am touching his car. I was sure I did not touch his car, i tried to come out but he forced me to first move my car back because I was still touching his car.

After I moved my car back, I went to see the damage. I dont think there was a damage (see photo attached). Note that in the photo the two longish blackish marks is just dirt...unwashed car. He would not let me clean it to take the photo. Its a brand new car and he did not want anyone touching it. I said there was no damage and that was dirt..and he said that little black mark in the center was my car. I was not sure how my number plate would have caused that damage.

I gave him my insurance information anyways. My car insurance called me up and I said I dont think I hit his car and I surely did not see any damage. They said that usually if you are the car behind, you are at fault, but they will let me know

I am not sure whats the deal here. I feel the damage was already there and the guy was either not aware or he is just trying to take advantage of the situation.

What are my options here? What should I tell my insurance guys if they think its my fault. I dont think that little black mark is my car.
Attached Thumbnails
I may have bumped the persons car but I did not see any damage-img_20150802_140803.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasABigMistake View Post
Here is what happened: ....went back to the car, ...my wallet fell down towards the driver seat. ... tells me to back my car since I am touching his car. ...he forced me to first move my car back because I was still touching his car.

... I went to see the damage. I dont think there was a damage...He would not let me clean it to take the photo (no chit?). Its a brand new car and he did not want anyone touching it. I said there was no damage and that was dirt (no chit?)..

and I said I dont think I hit his car and I surely did not see any damage.

I feel the damage was already there

I dont think that little black mark is my car.

I think you should just own up to making a mistake. You are guilty. See above. You sound like a spoiled b............

Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
If your car was touching his, own up to it. If it was not touching his, show your insurance company the photo you took before moving your car.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:16 AM

61 posts, read 86,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
I think you should just own up to making a mistake. You are guilty. See above. You sound like a spoiled b............
If I was guilty, I would have accepted. What makes you think I am guilty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If your car was touching his, own up to it. If it was not touching his, show your insurance company the photo you took before moving your car.
Well the other person also did not take any photos showing the car was touching. If he would have let me get out I would have taken the photo. Most importantly there is no way that the damage he is trying to show which again I dont see is from my car.

The point is why do you guys think that he is right and I am wrong. Can you point out the reason. Its all what he said and I did. I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:02 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
I am not understanding why the other driver would not let you out of your car to inspect.
The black plastic plate mount could possibly make that mark that shows in your picture but it sounds fishy to me.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Should have called the police and let them inspect the damage if there was any and make note of it in their police report.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
There is no damage so why is the driver calling your insurance? When he goes to get an estimate, is the body shop going to laugh at him and charge $100 to wipe the dirt off? Is there hidden damage underneath that bumper from some other accident? You should have dialed 911 if he was forcing you to do something.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 AM

321 posts, read 420,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Is there hidden damage underneath that bumper from some other accident?
This happened to me when I was 17.

Lightly tapped the trailer hitch of a large truck in front of me. Damaged my grill, did nothing to his truck. I got a bill for $5,000 for "significant axle/frame damage". I ended up winning out and not having to pay it, but that's because I snuck a few cell phone pics of his truck with a timestamp.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:58 PM

400 posts, read 573,821 times
Your story is hard to follow. Was your car in park this whole time? Or did you roll into him while looking for your wallet?

I would not have let him bully me into not checking to see if there was actual touching of the cars. It sounds like he refused to let you out of your car to see? But that's water under the bridge now. On the other hand, if I were him I wouldn't have let you try and clean the bumper either.

Speaking from recent personal experience, I had someone "lightly" back into my vehicle at a gas pump. She jumped out and immediately did the "ohh, there's really no damage there..." thing. I got her info anyway. Turns out she pushed on my bumper enough that it creased the fender. $700 later and it's fixed. With new cars, the outside of the bumper may not show damage but it may have caused issues underneath that aren't visible without inspection.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasABigMistake View Post
If I was guilty, I would have accepted. What makes you think I am guilty?

Well the other person also did not take any photos showing the car was touching. If he would have let me get out I would have taken the photo. Most importantly there is no way that the damage he is trying to show which again I dont see is from my car.

The point is why do you guys think that he is right and I am wrong. Can you point out the reason. Its all what he said and I did. I would really like to hear your thoughts.
I never said you were wrong. I said if your car was touching his, then you were wrong. If your car was not touching his, then you aren't wrong. Just provide your insurance company proof. A photo, a police report, or anything. You already admitted involvement by providing your insurance information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive