Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

When my parents bought a house about 2002, the front had about a dozen inoperable cars with various parts missing on it.
It had been vacant a year, and people just started using it as a junk yard. They wrote removal into the contract, but after they were removed, before they moved in, two more showed up. I would definitely have called the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Sometimes it can be a good thing.

When my out-of-State brother passed away and his house was vacant, I invited one of the neighbors to park his truck in the driveway instead of the street so it would appear someone was living there.

Similarly, I went to check on a vacant rental property, and the tenant in the adjacent duplex was parked in the driveway. I figured what the heck, it makes the place look occupied even though there was a For Rent sign out front.

I might have felt differently if a total stranger was parking in one of the driveways, though.
Key words bolded.

For all the OP knows, the person who parked in her driveway may be testing to see just how "watched" the property is.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
I'd leave a note as soon as it becomes a nuisance. If nothing happens, have it towed.

But while the property is vacant, I'd probably let them park there to give the illusion that the house is occupied.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:24 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Permission is the key here.

If I had a vacant property and a neighbor asked me if they could use the driveway, I'd tell them as long as their car wasn't leaking anything, they were welcome to use the driveway all they wanted as long as the house was vacant, and as long as they understood that I could change my mind at any time.

But if someone did it without asking me first, I'd be more than a little irritated. I'd call the police and/or have it towed, without leaving any sort of note or warning. Totally not ok to park on private residential property without permission.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Lucky you have a neighbor parked in the vacant home's driveway. It would look like someone is there. That is always a plus. If you don't want them to park there, just leave a nice note. Leaving a nasty note is moronic. What happened to "love thy neighbor"? Really is sad we can't just be nice, but it takes all kinds I guess. Glad I live in Pittsburgh were people are still pretty nice for the most part. I would hate to be in such a crappy place like many of the posters on here must live in. Sad.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:28 PM

861 posts, read 851,907 times
This rule is understood the world over, you do not park on anyone else' drive period..

The vacant property is the issue, people like to take chance if they think no one is around..

Old 08-05-2015, 12:31 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Saw a girl park in the entrance to a parking garage under my apartment back when I was in college.

Single lane so nobody could get in or out of the building and she blocked it for about 2 hours until a tow truck showed up.

lol....it drug her car squeeling out of the entrance then stopped in the street and hooked up to the other end and drove off with it.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
just browsing this thread and what led me to click on it was me being curious about how many morons would think it would be ok to just help themselves to someone else's property without any kind of permission...sadly, it seems there are a few. I live in the country so the odds of someone using my driveway for parking would be slim to none, but if it did happen, they asked, and i wasnt going anywhere in the time they said they would be gone, sure, no problem. But do it without permission thinking you're entitled to park wherever you want? Your car is going for a ride without you in it.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Permission is the key here.

If I had a vacant property and a neighbor asked me if they could use the driveway, I'd tell them as long as their car wasn't leaking anything, they were welcome to use the driveway all they wanted as long as the house was vacant, and as long as they understood that I could change my mind at any time.

But if someone did it without asking me first, I'd be more than a little irritated. I'd call the police and/or have it towed, without leaving any sort of note or warning. Totally not ok to park on private residential property without permission.
Love your post, My first thought was to use the cars as target practice, then sell them to a scrapper. But you are right. There could be a good side.

Tell the neighbors to have at it until the day before you need use the driveway. Then they must be gone.

Points with neighbors (if not neighbors, no skin off your back).

A car stashed on your lot means it is now yours. Scrap for about $400, or part out for much more (if you have the time and the car has parts anyone would actually need).

Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Certainly, since the house is vacant and awaiting a new tenant, some unknown car in the drive could signal that the place is occupied and might deter burglars.

Of course, the car parked in the drive could belong to the burglar.

Love thy neighbor is all well and good, but I would expect my neighbor to love me and ask before assuming that it's okay to park on my property. And "letting it go" is not a good idea because then permission is implicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive