Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:35 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

My son was throwing a fit because he got pulled over the other day...
He says that when the cop stopped him, he immediately got his wallet to get his license. Apparently the cop misunderstood this and ordered him out of the car - the cop had his hand on the butt of his pistol, but (thankfully!) didn't draw. I took the cop's side on this and sternly told my son: You don't ever reach for anything when a cop stops you! Nor do you get out of your car unless the cop tells you!
When/if you're ever stopped, you do the following:
1) Put the car in Park - immediately!
2) Roll down your windows, driver and passenger, as in most cases, the cop will approach the passenger side of your car for his own safety
3) Place both hands on top of the wheel, where the officer can see them
4) Wait until he asks to see your license and registration! Then reach slowly and carefully for your wallet!

In a couple of cases where I've been stopped, I was unable to access my wallet while sitting. I told my son that if such is the case, you look at the cop and say, "My license, etc. is in my wallet, I'm unable to reach it while sitting. Officer, May I step out momentarily to access my documents?" If he affirms, then slowly open your door and get out. Make sure that you keep your hands visible in doing so!

Maybe there are some posters here who work in law enforcement. My son was mad that the cop yelled at him; he's even madder that I yelled at him! But I think I'm right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:40 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Find the Chris Rock video "How To Not Get Your A** Kicked By The Police". Show this to your son and make sure he knows this isn't just a funny video, it's an educational video.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
As soon as you notice the lights, hit your flashers, when you stop car in park, ignition off, ALL windows down. If its at night, turn your dome light on, and stop under a street light if possible, keep hands visible, wait till instructed before you do anything.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
4) Wait until he asks to see your license and registration! Then reach slowly and carefully for your wallet!
Very good advice!

People do not realize that cops stop EVERYONE during traffic stops. That includes criminals and people who may have just robbed a bank.

The cop does not know if you are a good guy or a bad guy - if you make any sudden moves to grab something, the cop does not know if it is a gun, but will assume so and shoot you!

P.S. I keep the car's registration in the glove compartment. I tell the cop the registration is in the glove compartment. He says to me: You can go ahead and get your registration out of the glove compartment. I do so slowly so he can see everything I am doing.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:30 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
The MOST important thing is..............Say what you are going to DO, before you do it.

As in....Officer, my DL is in my wallet, which is in my back pocket of my pants, can I get it out now ?

Keep your hands in sight, and if you are asked to get OUT of the vehicle, DON"T put your hands in your pockets. I know that many young people do that as a matter of habit...........BUT to a Police Officer, that is a RED FLAG, that you may be bringing out a weapon.

If you live in a State where it is legal to have a firearm in your car...........SAY SO. Don't let it be found, as that is a further red flag. Declare that you have it, at the outset.

The Officer is concerned, for a number of reasons..........He is probably alone, he is dealing with a stranger, and it may be the middle of the night, in the rain. Add to that the fact that in many US locations, after midnight about 25 percent of all the drivers on the road are either drunk or high on drugs. Add to that the situation where the number of adults in the vehicle outnumbers the Officer by two or three times.

If the driver starts the conversation with an angry voice, and abusive words..........things will only go downhill from there. If I was the Police officer, I would be calling for support immediately. That is why some departments have two person patrol cars on the night shift, so that the odds are bit better in case of an assault by the driver or passengers.

Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things that a uniform Police officer does on a regular basis, along with domestic fights between men and women. Over the years, the tactics have changed when it comes to how a stop is done. Police are now taught to position their car in a way that it creates a overlap with the passing cars, and if possible, they try to stand on the right side of the car, at the passenger door, so they have the body of the car as a shield if shooting starts. It's also safer re passing cars and trucks, compared to being on the road way.

Certain physical signs will make an Officer cautious. Missing or obscured license plates, dirty plates on a clean car( possible stolen plates ) broken right rear window glass ( possible stolen car ) damaged front lights or hood ( recent accident damage possible hit and run ) nervous driver with shaky hands. Driving with the windows open in the dead of winter ( possible drunk driver trying to sober up ) no head lights in the middle of the night, or no head lights but interior light is on ( possible drunk driver ).

How do I know this........

Jim B.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I believe you are 110% correct, ItsRick . . . EXCELLENT ADVICE.

In most cases, a traffic stop is probably more "stressful" as well as dangerous, if not more so, for the Law Enforcement Officer as it is for the individual being stopped.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Quote:
M
In a couple of cases where I've been stopped, I was unable to access my wallet while sitting. I told my son that if such is the case, you look at the cop and say, "My license, etc. is in my wallet, I'm unable to reach it while sitting. Officer, May I step out momentarily to access my documents?" If he affirms, then slowly open your door and get out. Make sure that you keep your hands visible in doing so!
I dont think I would ever do this. Even though I NEVER have anything to hide or such things that are illegal. When you step out of the car, you also voluntarily waive your own rights.

Whenever Ive been pulled over, I simply keep my hands on the wheel and keep my head straight, no fidgeting around.

Im surprised the officer would let you step out of the car voluntarily. Because when you get out, it seems like you would put the officer at a disadvantage rather than staying put in your car sitting down with limited reach out of your window.

But this is just in CT. Im sure people handle police a bit differently all over the nation. Im curious to hear what others say.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM

563 posts, read 524,129 times
Default Good advice, Mom!

Quote:
My son was throwing a fit because he got pulled over the other day...
He says that when the cop stopped him, he immediately got his wallet to get his license. Apparently the cop misunderstood this and ordered him out of the car - the cop had his hand on the butt of his pistol, but (thankfully!) didn't draw. I took the cop's side on this and sternly told my son: You don't ever reach for anything when a cop stops you! Nor do you get out of your car unless the cop tells you!
When/if you're ever stopped, you do the following:
1) Put the car in Park - immediately!
2) Roll down your windows, driver and passenger, as in most cases, the cop will approach the passenger side of your car for his own safety

Maybe there are some posters here who work in law enforcement. My son was mad that the cop yelled at him; he's even madder that I yelled at him! But I think I'm right.

First thing to do: secure your beer or like beverage in the cup holder. Smile a lot. Next!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:48 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
I dont think I would ever do this. Even though I NEVER have anything to hide or such things that are illegal. When you step out of the car, you also voluntarily waive your own rights.

Whenever Ive been pulled over, I simply keep my hands on the wheel and keep my head straight, no fidgeting around.

Im surprised the officer would let you step out of the car voluntarily. Because when you get out, it seems like you would put the officer at a disadvantage rather than staying put in your car sitting down with limited reach out of your window.

But this is just in CT. Im sure people handle police a bit differently all over the nation. Im curious to hear what others say.
It's a Catch-22 because if I'm sitting, I'll be reaching down for my wallet, and in those few seconds the cop can't see my hand. Therefore he has no idea what I could be reaching for.
Now if I step out of the vehicle (with the officer's consent, of course), he can plainly see that I'm going for my wallet. I would also think that my stepping out of the car will enable him to see that there are no weapons in sight. I also know that the hairs on his neck are rising until he sees that I have my wallet - and nothing else.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:04 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
It is best to turn the car off and place your keys on the dash.

In addition at night turn all interior lights on.

And also read the speeders guide to avoiding tickets. A bit dated but still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive