Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No, that says nothing about cars traveling the speed limit, needing to move over. PLEASE STOP MAKING UP YOUR OWN LAWS. You are just as bad as the left lane blockers.
From the official TxDot site:
Quote:
After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.
You are impeding the flow of traffic when you are going slower than the person behind you. Speed limit 65, you're going 65 in the left lane, someone behind you... move over or get a ticket.

State troopers here have actually given tickets to people going the speed limit in the left lane. There was an article in the paper about this, and people raised a stink, just like you. But the DPS said the law is the law.

So when they give tickets for doing something you say is legal, and those tickets are upheld, what say you then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 10:20 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
From the official TxDot site:
You are impeding the flow of traffic when you are going slower than the person behind you. Speed limit 65, you're going 65 in the left lane, someone behind you... move over or get a ticket.

State troopers here have actually given tickets to people going the speed limit in the left lane. There was an article in the paper about this, and people raised a stink, just like you. But the DPS said the law is the law.

So when they give tickets for doing something you say is legal, and those tickets are upheld, what say you then?
If someone is doing 80 in the left lane, he is under no obligation to move over for someone who wants to do 95. Once you are at the limit of safety given road conditions, driver talent, and equipment capabilities, moving over is contraindicated as it allows unsafe operation of a profligate speeder. As such, it is a citizen's duty to BLOCK THE LEFT LANE and impede the profligate speeder in an effort to help keep others alive. Even if it's just for 20 seconds, impeding someone who would otherwise be doing 95 is actually doing him a favor and increasing his chance of staying alive for a few more minutes.

If you are doing 95 behind me, prepare to enjoy viewing the rear end of my car in perpetuity or until you pass on the right and resume your illegal behavior. You can thank me for extending your life with a Christmas card if you like.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 PM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If someone is doing 80 in the left lane, he is under no obligation to move over for someone who wants to do 95. Once you are at the limit of safety given road conditions, driver talent, and equipment capabilities, moving over is contraindicated as it allows unsafe operation of a profligate speeder. As such, it is a citizen's duty to BLOCK THE LEFT LANE and impede the profligate speeder in an effort to help keep others alive. Even if it's just for 20 seconds, impeding someone who would otherwise be doing 95 is actually doing him a favor and increasing his chance of staying alive for a few more minutes.

If you are doing 95 behind me, prepare to enjoy viewing the rear end of my car in perpetuity or until you pass on the right and resume your illegal behavior. You can thank me for extending your life with a Christmas card if you like.
Sometimes I forget that people like you actually exist. It's good that I get a reminder once in a while.

Me personally, I set the cruise at 67mph in a 65 zone, so I am RARELY in the left lane. I'm not going to break one law (impeding traffic) so that somebody else doesn't speed.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
If you are driving faster then the traffic in the right lane, you have a perfect right to stay in the left lane.
This is correct as far as the law is concerned where I live. You would be within your rights to stay in the left lane even if you were going well below* the speed limit, so long as you were actually overtaking the vehicles in the lane to your right.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, even if you are not driving faster then the traffic to the right, but you are going the speed limit, you still have a right to stay in that lane in most cases.
This is absolutely incorrect here. M.R.S. Title 29-A, §2052, ¶6 prohibits driving in any lane other than the far right lane for any reason other than overtaking (with exceptions for law enforcement, emergency vehicles, and road crews). Driving abreast at the same speed is not overtaking. Driving the maximum allowable speed does not give you carte blanche to use whatever lane you feel like.

Quote:
You people are just making up your own rules to suit your own needs.
The legislatures make up these rules, and they do so to promote orderly flow of traffic, and to provide a guideline for how drivers are supposed to share the highways with one another.

*Providing you weren't in violation of M.R.S. Title 29-A, §2075, ¶1.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM

281 posts, read 368,262 times
This. ^

Old 08-12-2015, 10:53 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Deliberately antagonizing fools does nothing but make you look like one of them. Is it worth dying over? Because that's the worst-case scenario that can happen with some of the road raging, or drunk drivers that are on the road these days. Someone foolish enough to be going that fast is likely foolish enough to engage in other risky behavior. Again I ask, is it worth dying over? Is it worth potentially living the rest of your life crippled? Just to prove a point about the speed limit?

If you want to do your civic duty where reckless drivers are concerned, note the license plate number and call the police.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Deliberately antagonizing fools does nothing but make you look like one of them. Is it worth dying over? Because that's the worst-case scenario that can happen with some of the road raging, or drunk drivers that are on the road these days. Someone foolish enough to be going that fast is likely foolish enough to engage in other risky behavior. Again I ask, is it worth dying over? Is it worth potentially living the rest of your life crippled? Just to prove a point about the speed limit?

If you want to do your civic duty where reckless drivers are concerned, note the license plate number and call the police.
Sorry, if doing 80 in the left lane, I support a driver staying the left lane and not moving over for faster drivers. It's safer. Every lane change is a chance to die. It's better and smoother to stay where you are at this speed.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Nice graphic (and I agree with the slower traffic keep right mandate) but here's a critique: The far right lane also needs to say something like, "Remain in this lane except to pass or let traffic merge".

I've seen way too many instances where traffic in the right lane refuses to get over (laziness, passive-aggressiveness ) into the left lane when someone is trying to merge onto the highway from the acceleration off ramp, and it causes traffic in the acceleration lane to have to come to a sudden and complete stop after they've started to accelerate (possibly causing traffic behind to rear end the driver). Also, then once a car is forced to stop at the bottom of a deceleration ramp, it's having to go from 0 to a safe speed in an extremely short distance considering the other traffic is at 65, 75+ MPH. that still refuses to get over, making merging dangerous.

Obviously, this isn't possible when the traffic is thick in both lanes, but people refuse to do this when there's no one else in the left lane, and there's just a line of cars in the right lane that won't get over or slow down to leave a gap when that's not possible.
This is the biggest problem where I live, people outright refusing to get over so someone merging from the ramp can get on the road. Truckers are the worst offenders, and no, there's no one next to them either. They're just bound and determined to stay. exactly. where. they. are.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You have the same internet that I do. What exact law are you looking to disprove?

Here is a start:

State "keep right" laws
Thank you for that link, but that is one person's opinion of what the word "normal" means. It's not consistent with actual laws are. Generally laws apply "normal" to be what is legally allowed.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Ok, I will show you a law...

This is from the TXDot site, the official site of the Texas Dept of Transportation. It's a state site, a government site, it's the real deal, it's the LAW.

Ready...

Highway Driving
Check the link, it goes TO THE OFFICIAL STATE SITE.

Ok, you asked us to "show me a law". Happy?

You realize every time you reply, you just dig that hole a little deeper...
Quote:
After you pass someone, move into the right lane once you've safely cleared the vehicle. Impeding the flow of traffic by continuing to drive in the left lane is punishable by a fine of up to $200.
That is constant to what I originally said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive