Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
This is absolutely incorrect here. M.R.S. Title 29-A, §2052, ¶6 prohibits driving in any lane other than the far right lane for any reason other than overtaking (with exceptions for law enforcement, emergency vehicles, and road crews). Driving abreast at the same speed is not overtaking. Driving the maximum allowable speed does not give you carte blanche to use whatever lane you feel like.
That is consistent with what I originally said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The signs don't even make any sense. What if you are driving fast in the left lane with no one in front of you, while passing slower traffic in the right lane? You should get out of that lane just because there is no one in front of you?

Talk about a failure to understand traffic laws.
You need to move over when you are finished passing. You do not need to move over just because the road in front of you is empty, and there is traffic behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 05:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Sorry but too many people are busy checking their phones to read the signs. So it's not going to happen.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If someone is doing 80 in the left lane, he is under no obligation to move over for someone who wants to do 95. Once you are at the limit of safety given road conditions, driver talent, and equipment capabilities, moving over is contraindicated as it allows unsafe operation of a profligate speeder. As such, it is a citizen's duty to BLOCK THE LEFT LANE and impede the profligate speeder in an effort to help keep others alive. Even if it's just for 20 seconds, impeding someone who would otherwise be doing 95 is actually doing him a favor and increasing his chance of staying alive for a few more minutes.

If you are doing 95 behind me, prepare to enjoy viewing the rear end of my car in perpetuity or until you pass on the right and resume your illegal behavior. You can thank me for extending your life with a Christmas card if you like.
There's so much stupid in this post that it would be futile to try to un-stupid it.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:39 AM

53 posts, read 48,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
... people outright refusing to get over so someone merging from the ramp can get on the road...... They're just bound and determined to stay. exactly. where. they. are.
That because the yield sign, on the ramp, applies to you.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's so much stupid in this post that it would be futile to try to un-stupid it.
What left lane nannys like him don't realize is. Its much safer to have a person like that away from you, then right behind you.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBucksCo View Post
That because the yield sign, on the ramp, applies to you.
Yes, technically, you're correct. But I think the point of either leaving a gap for merging traffic, or, if it's safe to do so, merging into the left lane so oncoming traffic can safety merge, is a good defensive driving practice (and of course the flow of traffic at that moment dictates what's safe).

While it may not be a citable offense to refuse to let someone yield when it's possible and very safe to do so, being aware of other drivers who are merging makes the roads more courteous and safer.

Another issue that gets me is when people don't get over when there's a vehicle in on the median of a freeway, especially if someone is in it (car trouble, etc.). Too cars that speed by (not even slowing down) with a vehicle on the shoulder of the road. In most states that I know of, it's the law (it was passed a few years ago here in NC), it's the law (common sense/courtesy sometimes has been to legislated) for someone to get over into the left lane if it's safe to do so when an emergency or law enforcement vehicle is on the shoulder. That's great and I'm all for making the roads and first responders safer, but I don't think the law goes far enough by only specifying it has to be for emergency/law enforcement. Everyone's safety should matter in that situation.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-13-2015 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 06:17 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
If someone is doing 80 in the left lane, he is under no obligation to move over for someone who wants to do 95. Once you are at the limit of safety given road conditions, driver talent, and equipment capabilities, moving over is contraindicated as it allows unsafe operation of a profligate speeder. As such, it is a citizen's duty to BLOCK THE LEFT LANE and impede the profligate speeder in an effort to help keep others alive. Even if it's just for 20 seconds, impeding someone who would otherwise be doing 95 is actually doing him a favor and increasing his chance of staying alive for a few more minutes.

If you are doing 95 behind me, prepare to enjoy viewing the rear end of my car in perpetuity or until you pass on the right and resume your illegal behavior. You can thank me for extending your life with a Christmas card if you like.
{brain cells whirring as I try to compose a reply...}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thank you. My head was about to explode, you've reminded me that life is too short, and I need to simply move on.

/unsubscribe/

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
Quote:

While this might make sense to you the result will be the opposite - you are creating a high risk on the road with your behavior!

The traffic you create behind you could delay an ambulance which is restricted too far back for you to hear or see.

Even if you are holding back only one car, what gives you the right to police the roads and play with people lives??? How do you know if the car behind you does not have a reason to speedup (someone in labor, bleeding, etc)?
The person behind you will be forced to pass you on the right (unsafe) and unwisely you are the cause of accidents.

Please understand that your reasoning is wrong and you will be part of future accidents weather you want that or not.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This is not made by me. It's from YouTube.

THIS is how it's suppost to be done. Don't stay in the left lane unless you are passing then move over. Move right so you can give others the opportunity to pass if they please.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gd97sbMJSHY
No need for the constant lane changes unless someone is behind you trying to pass.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 AM

276 posts, read 338,230 times
Curious. For those that think it's OK to stay in the left lane and block speeders, what if...
The person behind you does something irrational like try to pass you on the berm of the road. Then looses control and crashes, rolling the car and killing himself and his family in the car.
Would you feel good about not letting him pass? You did just instigate the death of a speeder and terminate his gene-pool perhaps saving lives in the future.
If you thought that this could happen, does that make it premeditated murder? If you do it over and over, does that make you a serial killer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive