Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,344,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
George Carlin said it best: Everyone going slower than me is an idiot and everyone going faster than me is a maniac.
And, isn't it amazing how many idiots and maniacs are out there on the roads ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 02:40 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Citizens prevent illegal acts in many venues. The road does not get a dispensation. Driving 95 MPH on American roads is a criminal act that is reflected in the severity of the punishment should one be found guilty of it. All citizens should act to slow such a vehicle by conservative blocking strategies. I will do my part.
Translation: "I get to break any law I disagree with so long as I can prevent others from disobeying the laws I agree with."

So what laws am I allowed to break to make sure you can't drive in the left lane when not overtaking, because that is just as illegal as speeding. Fair is fair, so if you're allowed to break whatever laws you feel like to play vigilante, then I must be allowed to as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:55 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Curious. For those that think it's OK to stay in the left lane and block speeders, what if...
The person behind you does something irrational like try to pass you on the berm of the road. Then looses control and crashes, rolling the car and killing himself and his family in the car.
Would you feel good about not letting him pass? You did just instigate the death of a speeder and terminate his gene-pool perhaps saving lives in the future.
If you thought that this could happen, does that make it premeditated murder? If you do it over and over, does that make you a serial killer?
The elephant in the room here is that if the driver does something stupid to get by the lane hog, the lane hog might be involved in the crash. The safest way to deal with idiots is to get out of their way.

This video has been posted before, but it is a perfect example of what can happen when you deliberately try to tick people off. Yes, the pickup driver might not have been doing anything legally wrong in that jurisdiction, but he still ended up in a pretty serious crash, possibly injured, and with a totaled truck. Hardly seems worth it just to prove a point to some guy you otherwise might have never even seen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7BASFqXIw

Old 08-13-2015, 03:17 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,521,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
And if you're in an accident because you won't yield to freeway traffic, you will likely be found at fault. Here's the applicable law where I live:
"10. Failure to yield; criminal offense. A person commits a Class E crime if the person operates a vehicle past a yield sign and collides with a vehicle or pedestrian proceeding on the intersecting way." (M.R.S. Title 29-A, §2057)
Here's a quote from the Minnesota Drivers Manual.
"To avoid disrupting traffic flow or 'cutting off' other drivers when you merge, try to adjust your speed to accommodate vehicles already on the freeway. You must yield to other vehicles when you are merging." (Page 69 of the book, page 76 of the PDF, emphasis added)
Tough bounds I guess. It hasn't happened in over 35 years of driving yet but I've seen many cars rear ended hitting their brakes on on ramps. Personally, I think your freeway privileges should be revoked if you don't know how to merge.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This is not made by me. It's from YouTube.

THIS is how it's suppost to be done. Don't stay in the left lane unless you are passing then move over. Move right so you can give others the opportunity to pass if they please.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gd97sbMJSHY
Way to much work. I'd have stayed in the left lane that entire time. That driver either likes changing lanes or has a complete inability to look more than about 1000 feet ahead of him. Me, I'd just stay in the left lane doing my thing. There's no one behind me so there's no reason to be changing lanes. Nothing wrong with doing it, if it's what you like, but it's also pointless.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
The elephant in the room here is that if the driver does something stupid to get by the lane hog, the lane hog might be involved in the crash. The safest way to deal with idiots is to get out of their way.

This video has been posted before, but it is a perfect example of what can happen when you deliberately try to tick people off. Yes, the pickup driver might not have been doing anything legally wrong in that jurisdiction, but he still ended up in a pretty serious crash, possibly injured, and with a totaled truck. Hardly seems worth it just to prove a point to some guy you otherwise might have never even seen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7BASFqXIw
Actually the pickup driver was driving in a predatory and aggressive fashion and was initiating a conflict with the other driver. That is a lot different than driving a comfortable 80 on the open road and failing to move over when a speeder simply wants to dominate the road.

There are degrees in all of this. If the pick up trucker continued at the speed he was driving there would not have been an issue. But he used the rig and slowed his pick up below the speed limit in an effort to box in the car beside the rig. Who had tried to cut him off. They both deserve what happened to them for driving aggressively and stupidly. If they died, oh well, Darwin at work.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They both deserve what happened to them for driving aggressively and stupidly. If they died, oh well, Darwin at work.
I agree that both drivers were aggressive and stupid. And arrogant. And pig-headed. Your last sentence, though, is a bit much. Are you always so philosophical about the potential loss of human life?

Old 08-13-2015, 05:10 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
We have people here who have to almost come to a stop to make a right turn. Not many use their signals...

Last edited by Tominftl; 08-13-2015 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Mispelling

Old 08-13-2015, 05:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree that both drivers were aggressive and stupid. And arrogant. And pig-headed. Your last sentence, though, is a bit much. Are you always so philosophical about the potential loss of human life?
I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if one of these 2 marauders expired while engaging in homicidal behavior.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Tough bounds I guess. It hasn't happened in over 35 years of driving yet but I've seen many cars rear ended hitting their brakes on on ramps. Personally, I think your freeway privileges should be revoked if you don't know how to merge.
Um... You don't know the law on merging, so....

Also, you don't know after 35 years? I would not be interested in sharing the road with you. Especially after the "get out of my way, I'm coming" rant while speaking about constantly commiting a traffic violation.

Tough "bounds", what is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive