Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:02 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a Volvo wagon. I keep reading/hearing horror stories about reliability. And I can't find any website that has owner reviews.

Other choices are BMW and Audi wagons.

Then someone told me: "You never keep a European car past the warranty period."

Is this true? I am not trying to be facetious, I am sincerely asking whether there is some memo I missed about never keeping a European car more than five years??? Then again I don't see many really old Euro cars on the road.....

I would appreciate any anecdotes/guidance.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 02:32 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
How old? Budget?

And can you work on it yourself?

These are questions that people will want to know.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
I've owned all three, including varying years and models. In the end it's not about choosing the manufacturer that doesn't have issues, it's about choosing the issues you want to deal with.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
You see more old bmws on the road in most areas but that probably has more to do with them being more popular cars and relatively easy to repair. The old volvos and audis tend to disappear almost completely by the time they're 12 years old. All of them are prone to becoming money pits after 5 years. At that point it's just a matter of whether the owners find them endearing enough to keep alive despite their flaws. That's another advantage of the bmws, they're still enjoyable to drive even when they age.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:41 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
How old (or new) will it be when you buy it and how long are you planning to keep it? Such will greatly influence how much risk you are taking in potential costly repairs. If your buying new and not keeping it for 10+ years, you can always purchase additional warranty coverage to keep you covered from any costly surprises.

I will say with Volvo, there is some unknown in how their new line of Drive-E engines will hold up long term due to being new on the market.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,741,311 times
I have thought about this same exact issue, and love German cars. At my work, there are many car enthusiasts. I have actually heard people say it's better to keep American cars on a longer-term basis than German cars. The main reason is........cost of long-term maintenance. American cars may not be more reliable than German cars, but it is for sure much cheaper to maintain.

I know many friends with older German cars approaching 200k miles. But I have not met anyone with a new German car (2010 or newer) who is actually planning to keep their car any longer.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:34 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Between the 3 I'd only stay away from new Volvos (old one were ok).

I do think Audi is best value and style among luxury cars.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:29 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times
Have you tried these sites?
Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum
Volvo Forum : Volvo Forums

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
I am planning on buying new. I will not be doing any work on it. I will be taking it to the dealer for everything.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:15 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You see more old bmws on the road in most areas but that probably has more to do with them being more popular cars and relatively easy to repair. The old volvos and audis tend to disappear almost completely by the time they're 12 years old. All of them are prone to becoming money pits after 5 years. At that point it's just a matter of whether the owners find them endearing enough to keep alive despite their flaws. That's another advantage of the bmws, they're still enjoyable to drive even when they age.
This is true. I never realized it until you posted this, but there really are no older Audis on the road.
In the NYC area where I live, the area is saturated with German luxury cars. You will see older BMWs and Mercedes here and there, but an older Audi is indeed a rare sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive