Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times

Advertisements

I lived in Germany for 2 years. I owned a VW Bug and drove on the Autobahn for about a year. The car just could not go fast enough to keep up with traffic, and it was a very nerve wracking experience because of that fact. One has to experience that type of driving environment, you can't really describe it to someone. The speed these cars are going is unbelievable.

I ended up selling the car as I didn't actually have to have one. There is so much transit in Germany, or I could walk or ride a bike. So that is what I did. I got rid of the car. It wasn't worth it to me to get a car, that was better equipped to go faster. The car insurance was already killing me. Very Expensive. I found I just didn't have the need to drive on the autobahn, or have a car any longer in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I lived in Germany for 2 years. I owned a VW Bug and drove on the Autobahn for about a year. The car just could not go fast enough to keep up with traffic, and it was a very nerve wracking experience because of that fact. One has to experience that type of driving environment, you can't really describe it to someone. The speed these cars are going is unbelievable.

I ended up selling the car as I didn't actually have to have one. There is so much transit in Germany, or I could walk or ride a bike. So that is what I did. I got rid of the car. It wasn't worth it to me to get a car, that was better equipped to go faster. The car insurance was already killing me. Very Expensive. I found I just didn't have the need to drive on the autobahn, or have a car any longer in Germany.
I have been living in Germany for 15 years and I find driving on the Autobahn rather low stress. If you want to go slow just stay to the right and you will have no issues. If you can drive at least 90 kmh
you´re fine even if you can manage just 80 you won´t have a problem. If you want to go fast use the left lane to pass. I tend to go pretty slow with my car it´s a bit old and it saves a lot of fuel money. When I have a company car then that's a different matter. Way less stress then driving in So. Cal.
I find insurance fairly cheap I pay 580 Euro per year.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:41 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,341 times
Driving on the Autobahn is both thrilling and dull at the same time.

My last time I was passenger in an S-Class and we seemed to average ~270kph. Even then we were flashed by cars closing in at greater speeds, some of which were vehicles you would never expect to be capable of such a thing.

Other than your increased speed of travel or the speed of those on your left, the experience is rather uneventful. Which is the point.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:37 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I have been living in Germany for 15 years and I find driving on the Autobahn rather low stress. If you want to go slow just stay to the right and you will have no issues. If you can drive at least 90 kmh
you´re fine even if you can manage just 80 you won´t have a problem. If you want to go fast use the left lane to pass. I tend to go pretty slow with my car it´s a bit old and it saves a lot of fuel money. When I have a company car then that's a different matter. Way less stress then driving in So. Cal.
I find insurance fairly cheap I pay 580 Euro per year.
I should have added my Autobahn experience is many years ago, not today's Autobahn. There were no speed limits at all in the 70's and 80's. I was under 25 at the time in the Air Force, and my insurance was equal to several months pay. Many of us just could not afford it at the time.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Yes, I hit 140 in an A4 Avant about 10 years ago. I even saw a police car in the left lane move over for a guy going faster. It's awesome!

Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Driving on the Autobahn is both thrilling and dull at the same time.

My last time I was passenger in an S-Class and we seemed to average ~270kph. Even then we were flashed by cars closing in at greater speeds, some of which were vehicles you would never expect to be capable of such a thing.

Other than your increased speed of travel or the speed of those on your left, the experience is rather uneventful. Which is the point.
you "averaged" 167 mph in an S class........

Average is the key word here, even an AMG model S class would have trouble averaging 167 mph and being passed by cars going faster...."some of which you would never expect to be capable of"

Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Drove on the Autobahn many years ago - was a fast driver as a young man - but the average speed was quite a bit higher than the UK (70 mph limit) where I originally learned to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive