Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM

986 posts, read 2,494,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
I just bought a 2005 Volvo V70 2.5T with 70k miles and I'm not sure that really made sense.

The price was $8700 and with 11.5% interest over 4 years the total price is about $11k. Fine, but there's no warranty. So I added a Wells Fargo engine and powertrain 3yr/36k warranty for $2600 which comes out to $65/month (yes generally a bad idea but I can cancel it whenever I want).

So I've spent almost $14k for a 10 year old car with 70 miles. My payment is $290/month. In 5 years I'll probably have put another 70k on it and it will be worth $3000 maybe.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to buy a new VW Golf Sportwagen for $23k? I'd have a more reliable vehicle with a full warranty. If I got 3% interest over 5 years I'd be paying $436/month. The car would probably be worth $15k.

If you look at it as cost per year, I'm paying $11k to own a vehicle for 5 years, while if I bought new I'd be paying $8k. That's not even factoring the benefits of reliability, and the gas mileage (30mpg vs 17mpg).

Conventional wisdom says that buying new cars is a bad idea, and I think conventional wisdom is dumb (and so am I)
What did you drive before, and was it still perfectly usable with maintenance? My strategy is to buy brand new and keep a vehicle for 15+ years, or until newer technology or better MPG is too tempting.

I'd examine the "need" to constantly upgrade, which many people fall into, but which is also the bedrock of this unsustainable economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,200,749 times
Here are some tips,

do not use KBB. That's a retail model and you are retarded to use it, period. Use edmunds.com. And use that ONLY because you don't have hearst's publication, the black book. Do not use KBB and fool yourself into believing yours, or anyone else's car is worth that. It's not.

Start with average TRADE IN value and go don.

Don't add for alarm, compass, dual climate as no broker or dealer does. It just helps to sell the car.

Careful what color you choose. Light Blue, Black, Bright Red, Light Green, Orange, Yellow,are deducts. Few want them. Use it as leverage if you buy a used one.

Get both Key FOBs and any spare keys.

Ask to see receipts for maintenance

Smell the oil for burning

Smell the transmission fluid for color and burning

Look for poorly aligned panels for evidence of bodywork, run the carfax on the vin.

Check the title to make sure the VIN matches

In general, do not buy one with a salvaged title no matter the price

Bring a friend for security and 4 eyes are typically sharper than 2

Check the tires

Check the radiator

Check the date on the battery

Look at the disc pads on the brakes

Check the dash for cracks

Run the car for 10 mins for overheating

Bring a thermometer and check the AC.

Check the trunk for moisture

Check the operation of the sun roof if applicable

Check any leather thoroughly

Failure to do so could cost you thousands in reconditioning costs.

Ignore all of thes simple steps at your own peril.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,190,784 times
I don't think buying anything on credit makes sense.

We don't buy new cars. We've done pretty well with used - buying from private parties.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

We don't buy new cars. We've done pretty well with used - buying from private parties.
You can buy new cars with 0% financing. That makes a lot of sense. It's free money. Use the cash to earn money elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Buying a used car makes good sense in certain circumstances. With interest rates near zero, one is hard-pressed to think of a circumstance when paying 11%+ interest on a car loan makes sense.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,164,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
House.
Airline ticket.
I'm sure I can come up with a few others.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You can buy new cars with 0% financing. That makes a lot of sense. It's free money. Use the cash to earn money elsewhere.
I prefer certain types of cars, none of the newer ones were appealing so I purchased a used car with cash a few years ago. It was a good decision for me because of the total miles I drive varies quite a bit on a year to year basis.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,275,990 times
I just bought a 3 year old car with 13000 miles on it, was able to pay cash. It could outlast me.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 PM

41,710 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
11.5% interest over 4 years
That's the part that makes no sense. What were you thinking?

I paid cash for a 2006 Mazda 3 with 7,000 miles and a lingering new-car smell. It's now approaching 10 years old, has 114,000 miles on it, and (I'll probably regret saying this part) hasn't caused me much trouble. Barring any catastrophes, I'll keep it for another year or two.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:29 PM

1,859 posts, read 2,192,825 times
If you have a credit score above 700, I would think you'd be able to get or refinance your loan to <3% interest. Having some DIY experience would do you some good when buying a used car. Most cars should be able to go 60K-100K before anything major needs to replaced. For instance, you should change the engine oil and filter every 5K-10K miles, air filters every 20K, spark plugs every 60K-100K, brake pads and rotors as needed, and coolant and transmission fluid every 60K or so. After 100K, you might want to inspect the CV boots, ball joints, control arms, wheel bearings, and any bushings and replace as needed.

I typically do the research on model-specific car forums and buy the recommend shop manual before I buy the car. Then I look for a 4 year old car with about 80K miles at about 60% off the original purchase price. This has worked beautifully when I bought my 01 VW Golf TDI and my wife's 07 Lexus Rx400h. Both cars have been problem-free, rarely sees the mechanic, and have a combined mileage of 400K miles between the two of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive