Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Channel locks / prybars will only get you in trouble if your system requires a caliper tool.
Investigate the procedure first so you know what tools are needed to do the job properly before you start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
No need to bleed the brakes when you're just doing the pads / rotors.
Just check the fluid level to make sure that retracting the piston didn't cause an overfill.
absolutely no "need" to bleed the brakes when just doing the pads/rotors.

but the OP's car is a 2004 model. What do you think the probability is that the car has never had the brake fluid replaced in that time?

keep in mind this is a fairly low mileage vehicle. 75,000 miles in 12 years since new is only 6,xxx miles per year. Likely that the OP doesn't get too many service opportunities with this car beyond engine oil changes and tires ....

as you know, brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air through the flex hoses of the system. that moisture degrades the braking performance of the car and can also be the source of corrosion in the brake components. since it's cheap and easy to flush and refill as preventative maintenance, it's worth considering if the OP is planning on keeping the car for awhile. Or not, it's their choice.

Honda suggested maintenance schedules the brake fluid replacement in a much shorter time interval than this car has been in service.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:37 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Changing brake fluid is another animal entirely. I'd let my indy tackle that one.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP,
even for a basic brake job you need set of tools and jack stand.
If you have NO experience, some parts of that job are easy to mess up and even damage something. Suddenly, you end up with stranded vehicle and need to special order say caliper pin from dealer, if you stripped the threads.
Also you need to grease pads and pads guides.
More importantly, WHY is it that you have rear brakes worn out way ahead of front ones? Normally, it's the other way around.
No, if you rotor has no signs of wear and looks nice and smooth, don't touch it.
I was thiinking the same thing

Old 08-17-2015, 02:14 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Just come back in four year with your five year warranty and have them check for ware may be get new pads for free under the warranty

Old 08-17-2015, 02:52 PM

505 posts, read 846,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Changing brake fluid is another animal entirely. I'd let my indy tackle that one.
I agree. I've tried those "one man" kits in the past but the tubes never attached to the caliper bleeders right. This allowed air to get in the system and basically defeated the purpose of doing the flush in the first place. You also have to make sure to not depress the brake pedal too much during the process or the seals in the master cylinder can blow out -- a $$$ repair. I'll change any other fluid on my car but always have my indy deal with brake flushes. Not to mention, brake fluid is nasty stuff that is absorbed through the skin and damages car paint if spilled.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
depends on the vehicle... many calipers require compression WHILE turning (to retract).
Hmm, I've never heard of that. I would think this would make calipers more likely to stick than they already do. What years, makes, and models have this?

Are you saying that the piston(s) aren't smooth-sided, but have twisted grooves (like rifling) in them with corresponding protrusions in the caliper bore, or vice-versa?

Old 08-20-2015, 06:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
absolutely no "need" to bleed the brakes when just doing the pads/rotors.

but the OP's car is a 2004 model. What do you think the probability is that the car has never had the brake fluid replaced in that time?

keep in mind this is a fairly low mileage vehicle. 75,000 miles in 12 years since new is only 6,xxx miles per year. Likely that the OP doesn't get too many service opportunities with this car beyond engine oil changes and tires ....

as you know, brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air through the flex hoses of the system. that moisture degrades the braking performance of the car and can also be the source of corrosion in the brake components. since it's cheap and easy to flush and refill as preventative maintenance, it's worth considering if the OP is planning on keeping the car for awhile. Or not, it's their choice.

Honda suggested maintenance schedules the brake fluid replacement in a much shorter time interval than this car has been in service.
Actually it is my wife's car and we have performed all the scheduled maintenance as prescribed, she insists on it.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:25 PM

384 posts, read 733,924 times
Where I work, the dealership charge $89 for brake pad change and rotor turned . But this wont work if your rotor is under minimum specs. You would have to changed the rotor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive