Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,972 times

Advertisements

budget is around $12-14k with a few dollars left over for any repairs.

would be shopping for either a 3rd or 4th gen - haven't really made up my mind but much prefer the exterior styling of the 3rd.

V6 vs V8 doesn't matter much as i will most likely not be towing anytime soon.

just seems Craigslist is littered with super high mileage ones (not necessarily a big deal as their basically bulletproof if taken care of) that are completely beat up. i assume 100k miles shouldn't scare me too badly as long as all records are available?

i'd think $12k+ should have gotten be an OK example but so far, no luck.

i am in the NYC metro. anyone have any advice for finding something that fits the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Well, you haven't specified what trim level and whether if it needs to be 4WD or if you're fine with 2WD. But for what it's worth, I found this on Autotrader. It's in Charlotte, NC: 2006 4Runner. It's an SR5 trim and 2WD, but it's around your high end price range and it's got under 100,000 miles on it. Also found another one that's around 150k miles, still 2WD, but a 2002 for $8,500.

If you're wanting 4WD and a more luxurious or sport trim, you'll pay more. For instance, I saw a SR5 2006 4WD 4Runner with just under 110,000 miles for $17k. 4Runners still command a pretty good price even 10 years later. They are built to last, so mileage usually isn't much of a concern when one is shopping for a used 4Runner. It's more about condition of the car and if all the schedule maintenance has been performed. But yeah, if you're willing to travel down south to find a 4Runner, you can find them in your price range.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:14 AM

And for what it's worth, I'm also in the market, or going to be, for a 4Runner. I will also be purchasing a used one as well. Me, personally, I want one because I want to be able to have something fairly safe to transport the family in, but I also want 4WD during bad winter weather, and something that can do some light towing.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Well, you haven't specified what trim level and whether if it needs to be 4WD or if you're fine with 2WD. But for what it's worth, I found this on Autotrader. It's in Charlotte, NC: 2006 4Runner. It's an SR5 trim and 2WD, but it's around your high end price range and it's got under 100,000 miles on it. Also found another one that's around 150k miles, still 2WD, but a 2002 for $8,500.

If you're wanting 4WD and a more luxurious or sport trim, you'll pay more. For instance, I saw a SR5 2006 4WD 4Runner with just under 110,000 miles for $17k. 4Runners still command a pretty good price even 10 years later. They are built to last, so mileage usually isn't much of a concern when one is shopping for a used 4Runner. It's more about condition of the car and if all the schedule maintenance has been performed. But yeah, if you're willing to travel down south to find a 4Runner, you can find them in your price range.
apologies. i am searching for a 4WD.

trim level doesn't matter much. premium is preferable.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
apologies. i am searching for a 4WD.

trim level doesn't matter much. premium is preferable.
Other than 4WD, what are your must haves in terms of options?

Old 08-20-2015, 07:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Well, if you can't find one, your price range is wrong.

Dollar for dollar you might get a better deal on a new one vs a highly competitive used market.

I got a GREAT deal on my 2012 SR5 4x4 with leather, etc, when I bought it new. It was cheaper than a couple of used ones I saw online (granted another state).

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, if you can't find one, your price range is wrong.

Dollar for dollar you might get a better deal on a new one vs a highly competitive used market.

I got a GREAT deal on my 2012 SR5 4x4 with leather, etc, when I bought it new. It was cheaper than a couple of used ones I saw online (granted another state).
a new 4Runner STARTS at $34k. so i doubt it.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Other than 4WD, what are your must haves in terms of options?
no real MUST haves. just want the 4WD and the best condition/lowest miles i can find.

i assume CL is best bet (buying private party, that is). but i guess i should check autotrader, etc.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
A Nissian Xterra or Toyota FJ cruiser are great 4x4 bargains now that are discontinued and the FJ shares alot of components with the 4runner and Tacoma thus a Fj might be a better bang for the buck that is just as capable as a 4Runner but if you can stand the retro-modren styling just as good:

At 183.9 inches in length, the FJ Cruiser is the longest compact SUV offered by Toyota in North America, slotting between the smaller RAV4 and the mid-sizeHighlander.

Toyota sources many components from other vehicles to produce the FJ including shared engines and transmissions found in the Tacoma, Tundra and 4Runner as well as suspension components used in the Prado, Hilux, Tacoma, and 4Runner.

The 4x4 FJ Cruiser has 9.6 inches of ground clearance, 34-degree approach and 30-degree departure angles, and a 27.4-degree break-over angle, with 8 inches of front and 9 inches of rear suspension travel. The FJ is also designed to ford up to 27.5 inches of water and has a 5000 lb towing capacity for both 4x4 and 4x2 variants.On road, the FJ accelerates 0-60 in 7.8 seconds and has .69 G of lateral grip tested with stock Bridgestone Dueler tires.

Chassis

Structurally the FJ Cruiser incorporates a body on frame truck style design based on the Prado platform. The FJ Cruiser uses a high-mounted, double wishbone front suspension and stabilizer bar, and a 4-link rear suspension with lateral rod with coil springs and stabilizer bar.

The 120-series Land Cruiser Prado, Tacoma, 4Runner, and Hilux share the same suspension parts as the FJ Cruiser. The FJ Cruiser uses power-assisted 4-piston front/2-piston rear ventilated disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and is also equipped with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and a specialized traction control system known as (A-TRAC).

The A-TRAC (active traction control) system applies braking to control wheels that have lost traction mimicking the performance of a locking differential without the "binding" that can make steering difficult in normal locking differential setups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FJ_Cruiser

Old 08-20-2015, 08:19 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
There are half a dozen other SUVs that are perhaps just as good but some people just HAVE to have a Toyota because people say they last “forever”. Broaden your horizon a bit. I drive, among others, a 98 Explorer with 170,000 miles on it. Everything on that truck works, down to the driver/passenger door keypads and rides like a greyhound bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive