Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:43 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times

Advertisements

Good advice. Change the fluid and if that does not help, just skip 3rd for now. However, my 2nd gear syncro went out on my Mustang transmission (at 65K miles, of course after the warranty) and I skipped it for a couple of weeks but eventually something broke loose and really tore up the gears. Loud noises when trying to drive it. Ended up getting a new trans installed since it was cheaper than rebuilding it ($995). Now the original is a paperweight in my garage!

Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I changed the fluid in my auto and it made a big diff. I know we are talking man trans.

I don't think I like the change in gearing and am considering going back to stock fluid.......point being changing fluid is where I would start.

It could be burned up black fluid

Old 08-20-2015, 04:12 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I changed the fluid in my auto and it made a big diff. I know we are talking man trans.

I don't think I like the change in gearing and am considering going back to stock fluid.......point being changing fluid is where I would start.

It could be burned up black fluid
Check on Redline's website and see if MTL is correct for your Nissan's transmission. It may help with the grinding. If you decide to DIY, sometimes the fill plug on a transmission is stuck, be sure to get the fill plug loose if not out before taking the drain plug out for obvious reasons.

Basically, do what you need to do to make the shifts without grinding - shift slowly, stay below 3000 RPM, and/or learn to "double clutch" (as the Brits call it "double declutch"). This is the only cheap work around.

When you need a clutch, if the condition of the rest of the car warrants it, you may want to spring for a rebuilt transmission. With the application of some common sense, your existing transola should last as long as what's left of what I guess is the original clutch.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 08-20-2015 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2015, 06:59 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
This is my first manual transmission car. I have learned on my friends car before but I don't think I am going to mess around with shifting and not using the clutch
It's not that hard. Just ease into it some day.

I drove an 18 wheeler for 750,000 miles and after the first 100,000 or so never used the clutch except to stop and start. That's because 18 wheelers have 10 forward gears and none of them are synchronized. You either learn to shift them properly of flunk out of school.

At first, we all learned to double clutch, just like was explained. Then, we learned to "float the gears" as it is called. Up shift; down shift, the trucks are always kept in one gear or the other.

If you can't make yourself comfortable, I'd recommend you just get the transmission fixed. You can really chew things up by grinding gears.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 PM

25 posts, read 41,973 times
I'd vote for double clutching when using 3rd gear. Years ago, I had a BMW that developed bad 2nd and 3rd gear synchros. I double clutched when shifting up and down through the gears till I was able to find a good replacement transmission to swap in. It wasn't the easiest thing to do in stop and go driving, but was remarkably quite rewarding.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:47 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
If you can afford it get it fixed because it will scrap out on you at the most inopportune time.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
That's because 18 wheelers have 10 forward gears and none of them are synchronized.

Aren't the teeth on the gears also cut on a more shallow angle than those of a passenger car, allowing easier shifting at the expense of more noise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive