Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,540,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The carb cleaner sounds very interesting. I'll have to try that. After you make the pass do you have to polish?
Thanks
Not really. I wax afterwards. I have also used carb cleaner on very bad lenses. after I have wet sanded them with 220, 400, and 600. Then used the carb cleaner. Have brought back many really badly damaged lenses. But, Remember, no more than two quick swipes, or the lenses will start to melt. I can't take credit for the method because it was shown to me by a Factory Car Technician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,770,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can also use it to polish your windshield and remove light scuff/scratches. It's really just a very mild abrasive
Works on CD's and for cleaning jewelry too.

Some of those lights aren't going to get touched by polishing compound, they need to be sanded first.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,540,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This doesn't work. I tried it.
Like any other "Damage" it depends on the extent of the damage, it can be anywhere on the scale, and the extent you have to go to depends on this. If you can see through the lens with not much difficulty, and just a slight have, its minimal. Crest would likely work. If you cant see inside the light very well, more work may be requires. If you can feel the rough surface and you cant see inside at all, it borderline, and will take a lot or won't be able to be repaired.

SOme headlamps are cheap to replace, and may not be worth taking the time, but some can run 400 to 500 dollars a piece, and are worth restoring.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:55 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,671,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I don't see where the clear coats make it last any longer. Once you clear coat it, you will have a heck of a mess when and if you want to do it again a few years down the road. The only clear I ever used was a UV cured coating, that had to be cured with a UV light, but no one knows how long that will last either.

No one can really tell you what a reasonable or expected cost can be, because no two cases are alike, and the haze damage can be from a slight have to actual pits and flakes out of the headlamp material, which can be beyond saving. Keep your headlamps waxed, and park where the direct sun doesn't hit them during the day.
I use CarPro CQuartz. Designed mostly for paint but can be used on almost any surface found on cars (glass, plastic, rubber, etc).

It is easy to apply and lasts years. It's only been a year since I applied it on my car including the headlights and so far so good. Absolutely no haze and is water repellent.

If and when you have to restore the headlights the process of sanding down the headlights will remove the protective coating so no additional steps needed.

CQuartz works so good on my paint after I was the car I simply use a cheap battery powered leaf blower to make the water "slide" off the paint. No needless touching of the paint to wipe off water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive