Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times

Advertisements

Well it sounds like the Toyotas are good, but know that I am not biased towards them, I'm also curious as to what other smaller 4WD/4X4 trucks are out there. I figure I'll be looking at something with over 100k as a winter beater so I'll want something that's going to last well past 200k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm thinking of getting a small 4WD pick up to beat around with off road, thru snow, etc. and am not sure what to get.
Have you considered a Jeep CJ-7 instead of a pick-up, Deez Nutz?

I've had an '86 for many years and wouldn't consider trading it even for a new one.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
No, I'm more of a pick up truck guy.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Have you considered a Jeep CJ-7 instead of a pick-up, Deez Nutz?

I've had an '86 for many years and wouldn't consider trading it even for a new one.
I built a 1977 from the frame up. Learned a lot and had fun doing it. Rolling chasis came with a T-150 tranny and an amc transfer case. amc 20 rear and dana 30 front end.
You have probibly the best of all cj-7's if you have the dana rear end and warner transfer case. Later I replaced the amc parts for after market and a dana rear end. LOL only thing reliable on that cj was anything not amc. But still I loved it. Useless for anything but off roading. Chevy 350 engine gave it lots of power. Loud to the point of giving you a head ache but it was awsome.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Many purists consider the '85 Toyota to be the best small truck there is, period. First, it's a Toyota, which is a big plus to many folks. Second, it was the last year they offered the solid axle in the front. For this reason, it is very reliable, and is also inexpensive to lift, if you choose to do so. At this point, though, any '85 Toyota you are lucky enough to find will, almost certainly, be a well used, high mileage vehicle. The later ones were pretty good, too, but some people tend not to like the independent front suspension.
Amen.

I had a 90 p/u too, it was lifted 4", but it was IFS and my lift kit was over twice as expensive as my friends' solid axle Toyota. I sold the 90 p/u with 150K and almost got what I originally paid for it. Cant do that with a Ranger or S-10.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well it sounds like the Toyotas are good, but know that I am not biased towards them, I'm also curious as to what other smaller 4WD/4X4 trucks are out there. I figure I'll be looking at something with over 100k as a winter beater so I'll want something that's going to last well past 200k.
I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that is a great truck, but it's not what I would call a "beater" and it wasn't inexpensive. I bought it new, and it's still in excellent shape, even though I recently turned over 100,000 miles on it. I've had friends that had S-10s and they liked them for the most part, but didn't take them off road like the Toyota guys did. The same goes for the Ranger owners I've met.

Besides the Toyotas, some of the Nissan trucks are decent, as well, but they're not nearly as popular, especially for off road use. Nissan has always used IFS in their 4x4 pickups, and some folks consider this inferior to a straight axle. This may not be an issue for you if you're not planning to do any serious or severe off road travel.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
I had a 1980 Toyota with the 4-cyl engine, and it was GREAT! I never had so much fun as I did with that old 4WD beater. Never quit on me, even though I abused it crossing deep streams, up sides of mountains on old mining roads, etc. For pure off-road use, the Toyota is hard to beat. I wouldn't bother with an S-10....we had one, and it was nothing like that Toyota for quality. (just IMO, of course)

Bud

Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM

310 posts, read 1,197,056 times
I personally would get a good used Dodge Dakota. Ew

Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Some of the 22R/22RE engines had problems with head gaskets over 200k. Other than the timing chain getting sloppy (change it at 150-175k before it gets to be a problem) and body rot, that's about it. Very reliable trucks.

Also take a look at the older Nissan Hardbody. The 2.4L four is a great engine. Very torquey and very reliable. If you live in the rust belt, it's always hard to find decent examples. The Mazda was also a decent truck, but parts tend to be more money. I also like the older Rangers with the venerable 2.3L. Hard truck to kill and the parts are cheap. The Chevy S10 with either the 2.5 or the 2.2 are ok but the trucks are just poorly built. Poor quality switchware, weak door hinges, and awful fit and finish among a myriad of things. If you can get by all of those things, they are easy to find, parts are cheap, and they can haul stuff. Just very basic.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

310 posts, read 1,197,056 times
"Some of the 22R/22RE engines had problems with head gaskets over 200k. Other than the timing chain getting sloppy (change it at 150-175k before it gets to be a problem) and body rot, that's about it. Very reliable trucks."

These things you mention would turn most people away right away. I've never had to change a timing chain in any mopar product I've owned. All my vehicles have a lot of miles to. Then older Dakotas don't rust that bad either. My brothers dakota is decent on fuel mileage to. EW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive